shape
carat
color
clarity

engraving durability of platinum v. white gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at having a custom setting made (the deco setting) for the stone in my avitar. What is the durability of white gold v. platinum regarding not having some light engraving wear off over time? (I hope that made sense.)

I''m wondering if, in white gold, I should not have it rhodium''d because if the light engraving is in the rhodium and the rhodium wears off . . . It would also be fine with me to skip the rhodium as slight yellow in the white gold would fit my stone well.

Thanks.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
The gold would be engraved before it was rhodium plated, so you wouldn't have to worry about that, and as you know, I like white gold without the rhodium--:)-especially for antique looking pieces.

Platinum and gold are both durable metals that can handle wear. I'm inclined to think that platinum would be better at holding engraving--as it's more durable. Hopefully a metal expert will chime in on which one they prefer for engraving. (Maybe you should post this in the Jewelry section)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My feeling is that platinum would hold up better (especially an iridium alloy) since it's atomically denser than gold (the atoms are more closely bonded together with each other), more pure than karat gold is, and although platinum does scratch, the metal itself doesn't wear away like gold does. I can't wait to see what you're going to do with that gorgeous stone!! At the very least, I think I would get platinum prongs since you won't have to replace them every so many years.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Coati, G.G.
9.gif
As you can tell, I''ve decided on the deco setting. I Love JM''s but the deco setting has been haunting me. Wow, so I think I want platinum but I want it to be a yellowed white gold color ! Oh, who knows . . . the next decision . . . something else to ponder for a bit. As always all of you arm me with the right knowledge and ideas, so again, thanks.

Awwww, thanks T.L. And a big thanks for you always being helpful (and nice). You know, I think we''ve spoke of many things, however, never tourmaline . . .
37.gif
Is that still your main love?

Thanks so much, Sonoma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results