shape
carat
color
clarity

English Tea Time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 2:57:30 PM
Author: oobiecoo
MishB I love those teaspoons. They look so elegant!

Are you not in England?
No, the other colony.

35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mish, is it me or did I recognize the Old Country Roses pattern and a Lady Carlyle pattern teacup on your table?

I LOVE afternoon tea and I occasionally go for high tea at local teashops with a friend. We have tons of fun going and although it is somewhat pricey for lunch, the whole experience is worth it as a nice treat.

I also like to throw tea parties at my house for a less expensive alternative!!! My teapot, sugarbowl, and creamer are all in the Paradise Red pattern, but my teacups are mixed so that everyone has a different set, which also makes it fun. We love experimenting with different tea sandwiches and savories.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 6:28:21 PM
Author: MishB

Are you not in England?
No, the other colony.

35.gif
Hahaha, I figured as much when you said flat white. My hubby is Australian and the first time he came over here and ordered a short black, you should have SEEN the look on the waiter''s face...who was a black man! I told my husband he was going to get himself killed.....

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 6:38:37 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Mish, is it me or did I recognize the Old Country Roses pattern and a Lady Carlyle pattern teacup on your table?

I LOVE afternoon tea and I occasionally go for high tea at local teashops with a friend. We have tons of fun going and although it is somewhat pricey for lunch, the whole experience is worth it as a nice treat.

I also like to throw tea parties at my house for a less expensive alternative!!! My teapot, sugarbowl, and creamer are all in the Paradise Red pattern, but my teacups are mixed so that everyone has a different set, which also makes it fun. We love experimenting with different tea sandwiches and savories.
You are absolutely right, I have several OCR pieces, and Lady Carlyle is one of my favourite patterns.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 6:43:09 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 10/20/2008 6:28:21 PM

Are you not in England?
No, the other colony.

35.gif
Hahaha, I figured as much when you said flat white. My hubby is Australian and the first time he came over here and ordered a short black, you should have SEEN the look on the waiter''s face...who was a black man! I told my husband he was going to get himself killed.....
That is hilarious.... oops!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 3:55:32 PM
Author: Delster
We don''t do proper high tea in Ireland but we drink endless amounts of the stuff! In fact, we''re the greatest per capita consumers of tea in the world. Not sure if that''s a matter of distinction or not
3.gif

If you''re interested in fruit scones, I posted a recipe for Gwen in the LIW forum a few months back...

Date: 10/20/2008 12:36:36 AM

Author: Octavia

ETA: I also scandalized my English friends by taking my tea with only milk, no sugar. It was pretty funny that of all my other ''odd American habits,'' that was the thing that bothered them the most
11.gif

Octavia come to Ireland, that''s how I take my tea! It''s not in the least bit scandalous here
35.gif

Delster, I''m on it! I do love tea, and I soooo miss good biscuits. It''s hard to get them here, and although I was able to find some digestives, they a) weren''t McVities and b) were topped with milk chocolate rather than plain. So I didn''t buy them.
15.gif

I always hoped to get to Ireland when I was only across a channel rather than an ocean, but time and money weren''t on my side. Someday I will, though!!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Um... I''m available for adoption if anyone wants to take me in and feed me scones and tea.
31.gif

Really though, other cultures just intrigue me so I wanted to know more about this tea ritual that you have on the other side of the pond. I can''t wait until DH and I can start travelling internationally in a couple of years. There is so much I want to experience! For now though, I think I will "pretend" and have my own tea here. Hubby mentioned wanting to purchase a tea set for me the other day...
9.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
MishB, your teea setup is too die for! How lucky to be invited to one of your tea times
1.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 8:30:54 PM
Um... I''m available for adoption if anyone wants to take me in and feed me scones and tea.
31.gif

Really though, other cultures just intrigue me so I wanted to know more about this tea ritual that you have on the other side of the pond. I can''t wait until DH and I can start travelling internationally in a couple of years. There is so much I want to experience! For now though, I think I will ''pretend'' and have my own tea here. Hubby mentioned wanting to purchase a tea set for me the other day...
9.gif
Well let me know if you ever arrive down under.

You should give it a try, if you are looking for some nice pieces ebay is the place to go, antique and second hand shops, and markets as well.

Hit up any older lady relatives and see if they have something they want to pass down to you - I have acquired a few things this way, not by asking for things but by inviting ''older ladies'' (relatives/relatives of friends) and quite a few of them have donated lovely pieces that their own relations don''t appreciate. Both older and younger ladies love a tea party - it''s a gorgeous thing for mother''s day. Invite your mother and your MIL, they will love it.

Don''t be afraid to mix and match to start off with. Let me know if you would like some of my favourite recipes, most of them are quite simple and easy.

I''m having another tea on Sunday, let me know if there is anything specific you want photos of or information about.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
My mom has a beautiful set of her own china and my grandmother''s old china set... she never uses them and I''m sure would give me the teacups and saucers (I *think* they have teacups). I don''t think they have tea pots though. I''ll see what hubby comes up with first though.

What are Rose Water Cupcakes? And what is on those strawberry scones? It looks like jam, whipped cream, and fresh berries.

Tgal- I really liked that story you posted! Thank you
1.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 11:24:37 PM
My mom has a beautiful set of her own china and my grandmother''s old china set... she never uses them and I''m sure would give me the teacups and saucers (I *think* they have teacups). I don''t think they have tea pots though. I''ll see what hubby comes up with first though.

What are Rose Water Cupcakes? And what is on those strawberry scones? It looks like jam, whipped cream, and fresh berries.

Tgal- I really liked that story you posted! Thank you
1.gif

Well you are halfway there already! Teapot, no problem, ebay is your friend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Albert-OLD-COUNTRY-ROSES-Large-Bone-China-Teapots_W0QQitemZ150304706364QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150304706364&_trkparms=72%3A1240|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You can buy a lot of OCR (Old Country Roses) pieces quite cheaply on ebay, but it will be the newly produced things, which aren''t made in England any more, they are made in Indonesia I think, but the quality is still very good.

Rosewater cupcakes are just vanilla cupcakes - I love my cupcake recipe, frosted with buttercream made with rosewater in it, the flavour is very delicate, yummy. The scones have fruit of the forest jam, whipped cream and fresh strawberries. I have some rhubarb and rosepetal jam I am going to trial on scones this Sunday, I think it will be delicious.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
For you FireGoddess, it''s so pretty isn''t it?

ladyc.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is!!!...it''s probably my favorite cup...so much so that I bought her cousin, Lady Ascot, as well. That''s the blue version of Lady Carlyle. Here''s a pic...

lady ascot.JPG

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found this one on *bay...one of my other favorites...it is also fairly old though I can't recall off hand how old. Kentish Rockery.

ETA: To the OP, I've even seen OCR items at Marshalls and Ross...there are some nice Royal Albert pieces to be had on the cheap if you keep your eye out!!

kentishrockery.jpg

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
The pink and blue patterns are very pretty! I never thought to look at Ross or Marshall''s... come to think of it, I''m pretty sure I''ve seen some pieces there. We also have a Royal Doulton outlet store. They sell regular pieces as well as factory seconds that are still really nice.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
MishB- Do you buy the rosewater at the grocery? I''ve never seen it before.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get rosewater easiest at Persian grocers.

Check your thrift stores. I've scored Riedel glasses there. Every thrift store i've been in has multiple punch sets.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/21/2008 2:19:34 PM
It is!!!...it''s probably my favorite cup...so much so that I bought her cousin, Lady Ascot, as well. That''s the blue version of Lady Carlyle. Here''s a pic...
Lady Ascot is gorgeous, that''s a fairly new pattern though - 1994. It only comes in the malvern cup shape, I have some malvern cups, but most of mine are avon cups. If they made Lady Ascot in an avon cup, I would have one by now!

That''s probably adding in another level of complication too, cup shapes... Royal Albert has about 30 different cup shapes.
23.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2008 6:04:37 PM

Lady Ascot is gorgeous, that''s a fairly new pattern though - 1994. It only comes in the malvern cup shape, I have some malvern cups, but most of mine are avon cups. If they made Lady Ascot in an avon cup, I would have one by now!

That''s probably adding in another level of complication too, cup shapes... Royal Albert has about 30 different cup shapes.
23.gif

30 different shapes!? wow... I can definitely see this becoming a hobby.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/21/2008 10:02:39 PM
Date: 10/21/2008 6:04:37 PM

23.gif

30 different shapes!? wow... I can definitely see this becoming a hobby.

Ooooh I know, that is why I have so many! I have resorted to giving some of my lesser used pieces away now, some of my friends are worried I have a terminal disease, giving away my personal effects...

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mish, lovely collection! I''m not classy enough to have tea time, but your set up looks great.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any good recipes you can share for tea sandwiches? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. Some of our favorites are:

cucumber and strawberry
asparagus with lemon aioli
deviled ham
egg salad
curried chicken salad
roast beef and cheddar
bacon, arugula, and duxelle
tzaziki spread (cucumber, yogurt, mint)
prosciutto, brie, and mint
ham or turkey with apricot jam

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2008 4:16:12 PM
Any good recipes you can share for tea sandwiches? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. Some of our favorites are:

cucumber and strawberry
asparagus with lemon aioli
deviled ham
egg salad
curried chicken salad
roast beef and cheddar
bacon, arugula, and duxelle
tzaziki spread (cucumber, yogurt, mint)
prosciutto, brie, and mint
ham or turkey with apricot jam
Smoked salmon are traditional and would drive the cats bonkers also!
2.gif
emcat.gif
Meat paste is another if you can get that in the US, cucumber you have mentioned, tomato is sometimes used in some tea sandwiches. These are the more traditional English tea sandwiches I have been brought up with, yours look great though FG!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
TEA SANDWICHES

I usually only bother with 2 types of sandwiches - poached chicken and smoked salmon. I will post the whole recipe/process in case anyone (oobie) wants to make tea sandwiches:

Trim some chicken breasts of any fat etc, then poach in some gently simmering water, I take them out and slice them across the thickest parts to make sure they are cooked through, return any uncooked parts to the water. Cool and dice (about 1/3 inch cubes, not too big or small). Mix up a dressing of 1 part mayonnaise and 1 part sour cream and add some chopped dill and some chopped chives. Mix through the cooled chicken. Take a loaf of white sandwich bread and spread the chicken filling on half the slices, put together, slice off the crusts then cut diagonally into small triangles. You can also cut them into three rectangles if you prefere. Arrange on a plate.

Smoked salmon - I use the same dressing as for the chicken, just spread the combined mayo/sour cream/herb mix onto both slices of bread, arrange smoked salmon slices on one side, put together and cut as per chicken sandwiches.

You probably won''t be serving them right away, so take some disposable cleaning wipes (what we have down here are called Chux - they are thin, quite large, and have lots of tiny holes in them, I''m not sure what the equivalent is, google Chux if you want to see) put them in some cold water, wring out the water, arrange the cloth over the sandwiches, tuck it in until they are fully covered, cover with cling wrap if you are going to be leaving them for some time (eg hours). This will keep them moist, they dry out and get crusty pretty quickly.

I don''t have any good clear photos of sandwiches but I will take some on Sunday. They are always a big hit, especially the chicken ones which are very tasty.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 11:26:39 PM

Date: 10/19/2008 8:34:39 PM
Author:oobiecoo
Having never traveled outside of the U.S. (other than Mexico), I''ve never experienced English Tea. I know basically nothing about it... so please enlighten me! What time(s) do you have it? Are there special linens you use or a special place that you drink it? I want to know everything
1.gif
oobie, afternoon tea is my hobby, some say obsession! I collect vintage Royal Albert china, sterling silver etc, and use it all the time, I invite my girlfriends over in the afternoon (3.30 - 4pm), we sit around and drink tea (traditionally black tea with milk, sugar or lemon) but I also serve iced tea, although this is not traditional. I also handmake all the food, scones, cupcakes, petit fours, tea sandwiches etc. I set the table with pretty floral tablecloths and vintage tea napkins (smaller than luncheon or dinner size) and flowers. I will post some photos for you tonight when I am at home.
MishB, I want to be your friend so I can get an invite to one of these lovely parties! :) They sound wonderful!

The Ritz-Carlton here in the DC area does an English Tea Time every day, and I used to go with some of the women from work - it''s so much fun!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oobie, this has been such an interesting thread to read! Thanks for starting it. When DH and I honeymooned in Barbados, I threw a mini-trantrum and said we HAD to stay at a hotel that had tea time, because as an American, that just sounded cool. "Tea time" was actually code for kinda icky crustless sandwiches on a cart with some really hard cookies and a "serve yourself" hot beverage cart where I usually drank espresso, so I don''t think we really got much out of it. But I will say that I like the idea of the little snack in the late afternoon, since DH and I do eat dinner late and always eat late when on vacay. That part was nifty.

A question I have about tea time: How often do you have tea? In the U.S., I think the understanding I gained from TV is that in England, everyone breaks at 4pm to drink tea. But from the descriptions in this thread, it seems like tea is more infrequent, sort of like a happy hour (as in most people don''t do that every day, or just once a week on Fridays). What''s the real story? :)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I was reading this thread as I was visiting England for the first time, so I was very interested to see what the British actually do for tea. I''ve been to high tea once or twice, but I knew that regular people certainly weren''t doing that every day. While I was working over there, tea was served kind of like coffee is in the states: whenever someone got an urge for tea they asked everyone else if they wanted some, then went and plugged in the kettle. They also had tea waiting when we arrived in the mornings, but most vendors in the US do that as well but with coffee. It was at pretty random times and we certainly didn''t stop at 4pm every day, but that may be because we were working hard and didn''t really have time to stop.

I also took myself to tea one afternoon and had a scone with clotted cream. I''m a huge scone fan at home and I had always wanted to try clotted cream. Amazing. I found a recipe for it, but you need unpasteurized cream and I think that''s pretty much impossible to get in the US (unless you own a cow
5.gif
). Homemade whipped cream does in a pinch but I would love to be able to find clotted cream in my grocery stores. Mmmm. I tried some McVities, but they just weren''t my thing ... I''m not much of a biscuit person. I''ll take a good scone any day. I make them at home with mini-chocolate chips sometimes ... very non-traditional, but when they''re warm it''s like biscuit-meets-chocolate-chip-cookie.
1.gif

I''ve really enjoyed reading this thread and seeing the pictures of everybody''s sets! It makes me want to grab a cup of tea ... It also makes me want to go out and buy a real teapot because I''m guilty of using mostly tea bags.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2008 1:50:14 PM
Author: Elmorton
Oobie, this has been such an interesting thread to read! Thanks for starting it. When DH and I honeymooned in Barbados, I threw a mini-trantrum and said we HAD to stay at a hotel that had tea time, because as an American, that just sounded cool. 'Tea time' was actually code for kinda icky crustless sandwiches on a cart with some really hard cookies and a 'serve yourself' hot beverage cart where I usually drank espresso, so I don't think we really got much out of it. But I will say that I like the idea of the little snack in the late afternoon, since DH and I do eat dinner late and always eat late when on vacay. That part was nifty.

A question I have about tea time: How often do you have tea? In the U.S., I think the understanding I gained from TV is that in England, everyone breaks at 4pm to drink tea. But from the descriptions in this thread, it seems like tea is more infrequent, sort of like a happy hour (as in most people don't do that every day, or just once a week on Fridays). What's the real story? :)
Afternoon tea is traditionally served then daily, but most English drink cups of tea on and off all day. Some do break for tea at 11am and 3 - 4pm, but times have changed, there are some that still uphold the old traditions but it depends. I was brought up with afternoon tea and still like to have it with something sweet at that time, usually it is simplest on weekdays with just a small slice of cake or a scone- it depends on what you are used to I suppose! Afternoon tea is an important part of English tradition - however if in England do watch out for some using the term ' tea' to mean dinner - the term tea is not correct used in this manner, but it can be confusing to non English who think some Brits mean the drink. Many English also start their day with a cup of tea in bed and a plain biscuit, or just a cup of tea first thing.

El, what type of Mc Vities biscuits did you have? They have Rich Tea, plain Digestive, Chocolate Digestive and other types so you might find some to your liking.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 1:50:14 PM
Author: Elmorton
Oobie, this has been such an interesting thread to read! Thanks for starting it. When DH and I honeymooned in Barbados, I threw a mini-trantrum and said we HAD to stay at a hotel that had tea time, because as an American, that just sounded cool. ''Tea time'' was actually code for kinda icky crustless sandwiches on a cart with some really hard cookies and a ''serve yourself'' hot beverage cart where I usually drank espresso, so I don''t think we really got much out of it. But I will say that I like the idea of the little snack in the late afternoon, since DH and I do eat dinner late and always eat late when on vacay. That part was nifty.

A question I have about tea time: How often do you have tea? In the U.S., I think the understanding I gained from TV is that in England, everyone breaks at 4pm to drink tea. But from the descriptions in this thread, it seems like tea is more infrequent, sort of like a happy hour (as in most people don''t do that every day, or just once a week on Fridays). What''s the real story? :)

Glad you''ve enjoyed the topic, Elmorton! Sorry about the icky vacay tea
14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results