shape
carat
color
clarity

English Tea Time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Having never traveled outside of the U.S. (other than Mexico), I''ve never experienced English Tea. I know basically nothing about it... so please enlighten me! What time(s) do you have it? Are there special linens you use or a special place that you drink it? I want to know everything
1.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2008 8:34:39 PM
Author:oobiecoo
Having never traveled outside of the U.S. (other than Mexico), I''ve never experienced English Tea. I know basically nothing about it... so please enlighten me! What time(s) do you have it? Are there special linens you use or a special place that you drink it? I want to know everything
1.gif
oobie, afternoon tea is my hobby, some say obsession! I collect vintage Royal Albert china, sterling silver etc, and use it all the time, I invite my girlfriends over in the afternoon (3.30 - 4pm), we sit around and drink tea (traditionally black tea with milk, sugar or lemon) but I also serve iced tea, although this is not traditional. I also handmake all the food, scones, cupcakes, petit fours, tea sandwiches etc. I set the table with pretty floral tablecloths and vintage tea napkins (smaller than luncheon or dinner size) and flowers. I will post some photos for you tonight when I am at home.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
There are lots of different ways to do tea. When I was living in England, it was generally as simple as a few of us sitting down in the late afternoon for a chat over a cuppa and biccies (i.e. a cup of tea and chocolate-topped McVities digestive cookies). You can also go fancy, and here are a few links to some varieties of "high teas" and "cream teas":
Cream Tea at Sally Lunn's (look at the bottom of the first printed page of the Daytime menu)
Various varieties at the Royal Crescent
Afternoon teas at the Ritz

Of the above, I've only eaten at Sally Lunn's, which was fantastic. I always wanted to do high tea at the Ritz, but I was a student and not flush with cash, so it never happened. Someday, though...

It's pretty American to eat dinner early, so I think that's partially why we don't do teatime. In countries where the evening meal is later, teatime is basically a snack to tide you over until the main meal. In my FI's home country, this is extremely common and every time we come back after visiting, I really really miss it!!

ETA: I also scandalized my English friends by taking my tea with only milk, no sugar. It was pretty funny that of all my other "odd American habits," that was the thing that bothered them the most
11.gif

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think we should have tea time in the US! I sometimes go to tea shops and have their tea times. They get kind of expensive though.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
As in my previous post, afternoon tea is my hobby. I collect vintage china etc, so it''s a good excuse to use the pieces I have. Afternoon tea is commonly held in the afternoon, it starts promptly and has a finite duration, so it''s a lovely excuse for a get together that isn''t going to take up the whole day. You may hear the term ''high tea'' used to describe this type of occasion, but that is a misnomer, high tea is traditionally a type of early dinner had by the working classes, not fancy at all. Some other terms are ''cream tea'' or ''royal tea'', but to me it''s just afternoon tea.

I send out written invitations to the invitees, most of them know what to expect and what not to expect - like alcohol, even champagne - that''s just not done. Chocolate - is not a traditional afternoon tea food, or cold drinks usually. I serve iced tea, but that is a modern addition. I only serve traditional black tea, herbal or asian type green tea isn''t english style (although I do love herbal tea).

Some of the accoutrements you will need are: a teapot (I use two - and serve two types of leaf tea) a tea strainer (no teabags!), sugar bowls (sugar cubes) milk jugs, sugar tongs, tea cups, saucers and side plates, silver tea spoons, cake forks, serving dishes - tiered stands are lovely, and sandwich plates. A pretty tablecloth and some lacy napkins are a nice touch. Tea napkins are traditionally quite small, mine are antique.

I am having a tea this Sunday, I will be serving - scones with jam, cream and strawberries, or passionfruit butter (an English scone is like a ''biscuit'' in America?), rosewater cupcakes, vanilla cupcakes, butterfly cupcakes, mini white chocolate lamingtons, melting moments, 2 types of tea sandwiches - poached chicken and smoked salmon, and mini asparagus tartlets.

Here are some pictures:

tea12.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Another picture of tea goodies

tea22.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Silver tea strainer

tea33.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
My 2 favourite teapots, with my favourite tea, from Mariage Freres in Paris, the French actually love tea, and there are some wonderful tea rooms in Paris.

teapots.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
One of my teacup trios, this is my oldest, it''s probably around 70-80 years old.

teacup1.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Another teacup trio, I probably have about 30 at last count.

teacup2.jpg

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock

Wow MishB- Thank you so much for all of the information and pictures! Your table looks beautiful! I have some more questions now:

Do people generally have a matching tea set or is it common to mix different pieces like you have?
Our biscuits are a plain bread(not flavored) and usually have butter or jam on top. Is that what your scones are like? The only scones I''ve ever had were from the grocery store here and were kind of like a thick cookie.
Is that item with the yellowish topping and blackish dots in the second picture a scone? It looks really good!
What exactly makes a "teacup trio"? Is the bottom plate for food? I really don''t think I''ve seen anything sold like that... usually it is just a teacup and saucer. Sometimes they sell seperate plates for food also but they seem much larger than the one on the bottom of your stack. Maybe I''m just crazy?

Thank you so much!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve posted this photo in the cupcake thread, it''s my latest acquisition - a vintage (1950''s) Noritake 21 piece teaset.

teaset65.jpg

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 12:36:36 AM
Author: Octavia
There are lots of different ways to do tea. When I was living in England, it was generally as simple as a few of us sitting down in the late afternoon for a chat over a cuppa and biccies (i.e. a cup of tea and chocolate-topped McVities digestive cookies). You can also go fancy, and here are a few links to some varieties of ''high teas'' and ''cream teas'':
Cream Tea at Sally Lunn''s (look at the bottom of the first printed page of the Daytime menu)
Various varieties at the Royal Crescent
Afternoon teas at the Ritz

Of the above, I''ve only eaten at Sally Lunn''s, which was fantastic. I always wanted to do high tea at the Ritz, but I was a student and not flush with cash, so it never happened. Someday, though...

It''s pretty American to eat dinner early, so I think that''s partially why we don''t do teatime. In countries where the evening meal is later, teatime is basically a snack to tide you over until the main meal. In my FI''s home country, this is extremely common and every time we come back after visiting, I really really miss it!!

ETA: I also scandalized my English friends by taking my tea with only milk, no sugar. It was pretty funny that of all my other ''odd American habits,'' that was the thing that bothered them the most
11.gif
I eat dinner pretty late so i think I should start having afternoon tea!
2.gif
How late do the English usually have dinner?

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 1:40:21 AM
Author: heraanderson
I think we should have tea time in the US! I sometimes go to tea shops and have their tea times. They get kind of expensive though.

I''ve never "been to tea" at any of the shops/restaurants but I sooo want to. The closest I''ve come is having amazing iced tea and quiche at a local (totally American) "Tearoom". It really is incredibly good though!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes tea is traditionally served in the afternoon, it is an old tradition - however some here in the UK use the term ' tea' to describe their evening meal or dinner which isn't strictly correct.

Afternoon tea consists of the items the ladies have posted above, various teas, finger sandwiches, scones with cream and jam ( jelly), a variety of cakes and biscuits. Done properly, it should be an elegant affair with the best china used. However it is acceptable to use non matching china if it is of value to you.

Scones are simply made, they look like the American biscuit, but have more of a cake/ pastry type texture and are usually sweet. You can find them with currants or raisins added but I prefer them plain.

LOL - teabags are considered sacrilegious, loose tea should be used only!!! Also out of interest, years ago it was customary to dress for afternoon tea, hence the tea gown. According to how a household was ran and how they followed formalities / amount of staff kept/ visitors to take tea - ladies could change into a tea gown or continue with whatever they wore for luncheon - but of course changing for dinner. The teacup trio is indeed a bottom plate for sandwiches, cake etc, then the saucer and cup complete the set.

Dinner is traditionally eaten quite late - around 8pm, but these days that isn't convenient for many families. But a formal dinner usually commences at around that time.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:03:59 AM
Author: oobiecoo

Wow MishB- Thank you so much for all of the information and pictures! Your table looks beautiful! I have some more questions now:

Do people generally have a matching tea set or is it common to mix different pieces like you have?

Our biscuits are a plain bread(not flavored) and usually have butter or jam on top. Is that what your scones are like? The only scones I''ve ever had were from the grocery store here and were kind of like a thick cookie.

Is that item with the yellowish topping and blackish dots in the second picture a scone? It looks really good!

What exactly makes a ''teacup trio''? Is the bottom plate for food? I really don''t think I''ve seen anything sold like that... usually it is just a teacup and saucer. Sometimes they sell seperate plates for food also but they seem much larger than the one on the bottom of your stack. Maybe I''m just crazy?

Thank you so much!

The last picture I posted probably answers your first question. You can certainly get matching sets, and I have a lot of matching pieces. That Noritake set is 21 pieces - teapot, creamer (milk jug) sugar bowl and 6 trios, I will use that all together rather than mixing it up with other patterns. I like to mix and match my pieces so I can use more patterns at once, I can never decide. I even like to pick a particular set for a person, I take ages to decide who is going to have what set, I take out my favourites and think about it long and hard! Now, that''s obsessed!

Scones themselves aren''t flavoured, it''s just flour and milk and butter, it''s the topping that really makes them a tasty dish. The traditional way to serve them is with jam (strawberry or other berry) and cream, that''s what''s usually called ''Devonshire Tea''. The yellow topping with the black dots is homemade passionfruit butter, that''s really nice on scones too. English scones aren''t anything like a cookie, it''s more like the biscuit variety. I''ve been served that for breakfast in the States - biscuits and gravy, and I was kind of shocked that anyone would eat them like that!

A ''trio'' is the name for a set of teacup, saucer and plate - yes, the plate is for food. Modern ones that you buy today will be much bigger, the size of a bread and butter plate, but the older ones (like most of mine) are quite small - the saucers are about 5 1/2 inches across, and the plates are barely 6 1/2 inches. They are very, very delicate.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2008 5:26:24 AM
Author: MishB

Our biscuits are a plain bread(not flavored) and usually have butter or jam on top. Is that what your scones are like? The only scones I've ever had were from the grocery store here and were kind of like a thick cookie.

What exactly makes a 'teacup trio'? Is the bottom plate for food? I really don't think I've seen anything sold like that... usually it is just a teacup and saucer. Sometimes they sell seperate plates for food also but they seem much larger than the one on the bottom of your stack. Maybe I'm just crazy?

Thank you so much!

The last picture I posted probably answers your first question. You can certainly get matching sets, and I have a lot of matching pieces. That Noritake set is 21 pieces - teapot, creamer (milk jug) sugar bowl and 6 trios, I will use that all together rather than mixing it up with other patterns. I like to mix and match my pieces so I can use more patterns at once, I can never decide. I even like to pick a particular set for a person, I take ages to decide who is going to have what set, I take out my favourites and think about it long and hard! Now, that's obsessed!

Scones themselves aren't flavoured, it's just flour and milk and butter, it's the topping that really makes them a tasty dish. The traditional way to serve them is with jam (strawberry or other berry) and cream, that's what's usually called 'Devonshire Tea'. The yellow topping with the black dots is homemade passionfruit butter, that's really nice on scones too. English scones aren't anything like a cookie, it's more like the biscuit variety. I've been served that for breakfast in the States - biscuits and gravy, and I was kind of shocked that anyone would eat them like that!

A 'trio' is the name for a set of teacup, saucer and plate - yes, the plate is for food. Modern ones that you buy today will be much bigger, the size of a bread and butter plate, but the older ones (like most of mine) are quite small - the saucers are about 5 1/2 inches across, and the plates are barely 6 1/2 inches. They are very, very delicate.
Often sugar is added to many traditional scone recipes here in the UK. The Devonshire or Cornish cream is also known as clotted cream - a thick lumpy cream with clots in it - sounds horrible but it is wonderful, and is commonly available in supermarkets here. You can use that or whip heavy cream. A popular variation of the traditional scone is the cheese scone. Strong grated cheddar is added to the dry ingredients along with ( preferably IMO) Colemans mustard powder. They are wonderful served warm with butter.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Aren''t these lovely? Another recent acquisition, 12 silver teaspoons and matching sugar tongs. I didn''t have a set of 12, now I can have even more ladies for tea! I''m sure it won''t surprise you to learn that I love antique jewellery too!

teaspoons.jpg

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:29:46 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 10/20/2008 5:26:24 AM

What exactly makes a ''teacup trio''? Is the bottom plate for food? I really don''t think I''ve seen anything sold like that... usually it is just a teacup and saucer. Sometimes they sell seperate plates for food also but they seem much larger than the one on the bottom of your stack. Maybe I''m just crazy?

Thank you so much!

The last picture I posted probably answers your first question. You can certainly get matching sets, and I have a lot of matching pieces. That Noritake set is 21 pieces - teapot, creamer (milk jug) sugar bowl and 6 trios, I will use that all together rather than mixing it up with other patterns. I like to mix and match my pieces so I can use more patterns at once, I can never decide. I even like to pick a particular set for a person, I take ages to decide who is going to have what set, I take out my favourites and think about it long and hard! Now, that''s obsessed!

Scones themselves aren''t flavoured, it''s just flour and milk and butter, it''s the topping that really makes them a tasty dish. The traditional way to serve them is with jam (strawberry or other berry) and cream, that''s what''s usually called ''Devonshire Tea''. The yellow topping with the black dots is homemade passionfruit butter, that''s really nice on scones too. English scones aren''t anything like a cookie, it''s more like the biscuit variety. I''ve been served that for breakfast in the States - biscuits and gravy, and I was kind of shocked that anyone would eat them like that!

A ''trio'' is the name for a set of teacup, saucer and plate - yes, the plate is for food. Modern ones that you buy today will be much bigger, the size of a bread and butter plate, but the older ones (like most of mine) are quite small - the saucers are about 5 1/2 inches across, and the plates are barely 6 1/2 inches. They are very, very delicate.

Often sugar is added to many traditional scone recipes here in the UK. The Devonshire or Cornish cream is also known as clotted cream - a thick lump cream with clots in it - sounds horrible but it is wonderful, and is commonly available in supermarkets here. You can use that or whip heavy cream. A popular variation of the traditional scone is the cheese scone. Strong grated cheddar is added to the dry ingredients along with ( preferably IMO) Colemans mustard powder. They are wonderful served warm with butter.

I don''t add sugar, my recipe really is just flour, milk and a little butter. Do you ever have pumpkin scones? They''re quite popular, just served with butter. There are some local dairies producing clotted cream over here, but it''s not quite the same as the English version, like chocolate is better in Switzerland than anywhere else in the world, it must be the grass..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2008 5:37:56 AM
Do you ever have pumpkin scones? They're quite popular, just served with butter. There are some local dairies producing clotted cream over here, but it's not quite the same as the English version, like chocolate is better in Switzerland than anywhere else in the world, it must be the grass..
I haven't tried pumpkin scones, I imagine they would be good! Pumpkin doesn't seem to be that popular here, although that could change as more try it. The English clotted cream is unique, the southern area of the UK where it is generally made has excellent grazing for the cattle and a milder climate, the milk yield is good and the fat content is suited for this type of cream. You can also get icecream made with it and if you are in Devon or Cornwall, some ice cream sellers will put a large dollop of clotted cream on the icecream....
30.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 4:36:45 AM
Another picture of tea goodies

MishB,

Can i please be invited to your next tea party!!!!

everything looks absolutely brilliant!

I love high tea, low tea, middle tea parties
3.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
The bakery I worked at used to sell all different scones, though I think it''s what was added that made the difference. We had pumpkin, blueberry, cranberry, orange, chocolate chip, but they all had those mixed in, does that make sense?

I love teas, and usually have a cup in the morning, I would love to start having a traditional tea time, or tea get together, I love it!

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 5:09:17 AM
Yes tea is traditionally served in the afternoon, it is an old tradition - however some here in the UK use the term '' tea'' to describe their evening meal or dinner which isn''t strictly correct.

Afternoon tea consists of the items the ladies have posted above, various teas, finger sandwiches, scones with cream and jam ( jelly), a variety of cakes and biscuits. Done properly, it should be an elegant affair with the best china used. However it is acceptable to use non matching china if it is of value to you.

Scones are simply made, they look like the American biscuit, but have more of a cake/ pastry type texture and are usually sweet. You can find them with currants or raisins added but I prefer them plain.

LOL - teabags are considered sacrilegious, loose tea should be used only!!! Also out of interest, years ago it was customary to dress for afternoon tea, hence the tea gown. According to how a household was ran and how they followed formalities / amount of staff kept/ visitors to take tea - ladies could change into a tea gown or continue with whatever they wore for luncheon - but of course changing for dinner. The teacup trio is indeed a bottom plate for sandwiches, cake etc, then the saucer and cup complete the set.

Dinner is traditionally eaten quite late - around 8pm, but these days that isn''t convenient for many families. But a formal dinner usually commences at around that time.

Thanks Lorelei
1.gif
I love your Halloween/Fall themed avatar BTW.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
MishB I love those teaspoons. They look so elegant!

Are you not in England?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you''re interested in reading a tea story at Brown''s in London, I can post the story for you. You might find it amusing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2008 2:52:50 PM

Date: 10/20/2008 5:09:17 AM
Yes tea is traditionally served in the afternoon, it is an old tradition - however some here in the UK use the term ' tea' to describe their evening meal or dinner which isn't strictly correct.

Dinner is traditionally eaten quite late - around 8pm, but these days that isn't convenient for many families. But a formal dinner usually commences at around that time.

Thanks Lorelei
1.gif
I love your Halloween/Fall themed avatar BTW.
Hehehe! That is another of Ellen's masterpieces!!
9.gif

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2008 3:05:47 PM
Author: TravelingGal
If you''re interested in reading a tea story at Brown''s in London, I can post the story for you. You might find it amusing.
Not sure what Brown''s is but please post
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
“TEA FOR ONE”
September 30, 2002

The one thing that most tourists feel compelled to do in London is have afternoon tea. To do it right, you have to go to a posh London hotel like the Ritz, pay a ridiculous sum of money, and sit in a lovely drawing room feeling very proud of yourself.

The last time I was here, I was with some friends…some of whom did not have a lot of money to blow. So at that time, the opportunity to have a veddy veddy proper English tea was lost.

Deciding that tea at the Ritz was far too imposing for a commoner like me, I decided to have tea at the equally posh but more inviting Raffles Brown Hotel. I had wanted to make it my “perfect London day” so I started out touring the Westminster Abbey, then went shopping for a suitable shirt for tea (everything I brought was casual). Then it would be tea at Brown’s, followed by an evening play at the West End.

It was with some anticipation I got ready for my formal evening out. I had brought one pair of black slacks with me (purchased after much searching at home). I absentmindedly slipped into my slightly wrinkled pants (slightly wrinkled, and not completely wrinkled because I skipped the stupid trouser press this time!) and blinked a couple of times when I struggled with the zipper.

Perplexed, I looked down and was stunned to discover that I had brought the wrong pants. My smart new cotton slacks where hanging in my closet, while I had brought THESE: my vile, micro-fiber, cheapo pants I wore at tradeshows! The pants I had purchased ages ago at a few pounds slimmer, and were now refusing to zip up all the way!

DAMN IT!

Trying not to be too disappointed by this unforeseen outfit change, I put on my new ultra-suede shirt. I glanced at my reflection on the way out and sighed. I had bought these pants for tradeshows because I wore comfortable flat shoes and these pants didn’t drag on the ground. Unfortunately, now I looked like Noah should have built me an ark because I was flooding in a big way. They looked completely silly with the heeled boots I had bought specifically for this evening.

Still, I made it to the hotel, and tried to be most dignified when I gave the name the reservation was under. “Of course, miss,” the distinguished gentleman said. “Right this way.”

He led me to a warm, yet grand drawing room filled with dark woods and oversized chenille chairs in various shades of burgundy. He pointed out my choices to sit…both tables were in the center of the room, within easy view of the door.

I must have looked a little nervous, because he offered me a third choice: a lovely booth in the corner. I smiled gratefully and told him I would love to sit in the booth, as it was much better for people watching.

“Very good miss,” leaning towards me a little, he said conspiratorially “It’s the seat that Princess Diana would have chosen.”

Feeling a bit like a princess myself, I took a seat in the cozy booth. I took a look around and was impressed with the serving ladies. Well dressed in tidy white shirts and burgundy skirts, they wore sensible hose (nude, as I would imagine they aren’t allowed to wear sexy black hose. Some wore the dreaded “suntan” color that you stop wearing at 12 years old and don’t wear again until you’re 80).

I began to feel a bit out of place. The room was filled with older ladies and gentlemen. To my right was a group of very handsome people. They were chicly dressed…especially the three perfectly coiffed blonde women, with their big diamonds sparkling in the soft light.

I was asked if I would like autumn or afternoon tea. I couldn’t tell much of a difference and was momentarily perplexed as to what to choose, since it happened to be both autumn and afternoon. I settled for afternoon tea. She then asked me what kind of tea I would like.

I glanced down at the tea invitation. I couldn’t pronounce half of them. Feeling dumber by the minute, I said, “Earl Grey, please.” Two words, one syllable each. Rather impossible to screw up.

I watched the lady go to the good-looking group of people to take their tea orders. Eavesdropping, I could tell they were also American. They all ordered afternoon tea over the autumn tea. Then, she started to ask the ladies in the group what tea they chose.

“I’ll have a dar-jling,” one lady said.

“Oh, you will have the dar-jeh-ling?” confirmed the serving lady. She sounded the slightest bit amused.

“Oh, um, yes. The dar-jeh-ling.”

The serving lady turned her attention to the gentlemen. “And you sir?”

“Um….I’ll have what I can pronounce. “Earl Grey.”

“Yeah, me too,” the next gentlemen said “Earl Grey.”

And so they ordered…four Earl Greys and two Darjeelings (now that they knew how to pronounce it). The entire time I listened, I sat with a most gratified smile on my face. It was extremely satisfying to know that I was not the only dolt in the room.

Americans can go into a coffee shop, order a double shot of cappuccino mulatto with frothy foam and a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, herbs and spices, whipped into a frenzy without batting an eyelash. But when asked the venerable question “one lump, or two?” we turn into blithering idiots. We are hopelessly ignorant about tea. All the glittering diamonds in the world on your fingers won’t change that.

My tea was presented to me in a confounding array of pitchers, jars, strainers, etc. She poured my first cup of tea and left me to fend for myself. Flummoxed, I began to feel uneasy again.

I took the silver tongs and nearly flung the lump across the room as I couldn’t get a grip on the sugar. Looking uneasily for the cream, I spotted a smaller pitcher with a closed lid on the far end of the table and tried to peer down the spout to determine its contents. I slowly tipped it over my tea and retreated abruptly when something that looked suspiciously like hot water appeared. Feeling rather dejected, I spied the cream….right next to my cup.

I may be seated where Princess Diana would have sat, but I highly doubted she would have dumped hot water into her tea when the cream was right under her nose!

I had my glasses on, so I could observe the room better. As I took the first sip of my tea, I realized that my glasses were slipping off my nose. I had started to perspire from my nervousness!

The glasses started to fog up, and I couldn’t really see anything in front of me, much less the rest of the room. Forced to take off my glasses, I felt my body temperature start to rise to uncomfortable levels.

You see, both ultrasuede and microfiber are forms of polyester. That might not mean anything to you, but when you are in a room and start to feel warm, wearing polyester is a problem because it CAN’T BREATHE.

I felt my body growing clammy from perspiration. Seriously afraid I would overheat and blow a gasket, I tried to surreptitiously blow air into my face…and down my shirt! It was as if I was in a sauna…and pouring hot fluids into my body wasn’t helping any.

All of this was going on while people were calmly going about their business of having tea.

It took several minutes and several deep breaths to get the panic and perspiration under control. I guess at this point, you may be wondering why I paid around $50 dollars to sit in a fancy room and torture myself.

Don’t think I wasn’t asking myself the same question. I don’t really get tea (as you can plain see) and a lot of British folk don’t understand why American people pay wads of cash to sit and pretend to be fancy. For your $50 all you really get is the equivalent of two sandwiches with the crusts cut off, a pot of tea, a small glass of champagne, and a few scones the size of a ping pong ball.

But as I sat in the room, my body (now) at a comfortable temperature with a delightful assortment of cakes and cookies in front of me, I was content. Having tea in a posh hotel lets you get away from the craziness of London. I leaned back in my booth and listened to the melody drifting from the piano, and realized that $50 wasn’t a bad price to pay for a few hours of good people watching, fantastic tea, a few moments of severe discomfort, and the right to pretend to be fancy.

Sure, you could have tea in America. But then you wouldn’t be an American having tea in London. I’d even venture forth to say that I’d do it again, and encourage anyone to have the experience, at least once. Trust me, you will enjoy it.

Just wear breathable fabrics.
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
We don''t do proper high tea in Ireland but we drink endless amounts of the stuff! In fact, we''re the greatest per capita consumers of tea in the world. Not sure if that''s a matter of distinction or not
3.gif

If you''re interested in fruit scones, I posted a recipe for Gwen in the LIW forum a few months back...

Date: 10/20/2008 12:36:36 AM
Author: Octavia

ETA: I also scandalized my English friends by taking my tea with only milk, no sugar. It was pretty funny that of all my other ''odd American habits,'' that was the thing that bothered them the most
11.gif
Octavia come to Ireland, that''s how I take my tea! It''s not in the least bit scandalous here
35.gif

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, TravelingGal, your story is too funny. Don''t worry though, that is the way I felt the first time I went to America, trying to order things that are ordinary to me. Like a white coffee (flat white - coffee with milk), the waitress was very confused.. "But, coffee is... brown...??" Or ordering tea - "We have Evening Glory, Morning Thunder.. (rattling off several exotic herbal type blends)" Me: "I just want tea, ordinary tea - English Breakfast, Earl Grey??" This was many years ago before this type of tea was common in America. And don''t even get me started on half and half and ''powdered non-dairy creamer'' and those silly sticks they give you to stir your hot beverage, I want a bloody spoon!!

3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results