shape
carat
color
clarity

Engaging Sapphire

dommer

Rough_Rock
Hello!
I am looking to get a sapphire for an engagement ring. I'm new to this and wanted to get some opinions. I found out about this site from my girlfriend. I would like to get something in the light to light/medium pink range, around 2 carats, and one that will go well on a halo design. We are flexible in regards to the shape but no pears or round. I would like to get something for under $2,000. I came across a couple potential gems. These two sapphires represent the color ranges we are looking for.

http://www.finewatergems.com/store/p17/2.10_ct_Pink_Sapphire.html

https://shop.pristinegemstonejewelr...ry-for-14k-rose-gold-gemstone-engagement-ring

Since I'm new to this world can you please provide input or feedback on these stones? I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! You've come to a good place. Deep breath :)

When you say $2k for the budget, is that for the whole ring, or just the stone? A common bit of advise here is to fine the perfect stone first, since thats often the harder part, and then get a jeweler to set that. The setting (gold ring, tiny diamonds for the halo, and the labor) can all add up (and can vary from jeweler to jeweler).

If 2k is the total ring budget, getting an idea of how much the setting will cost would be a good step. I suck at setting prices, but perhaps someone else can chime in with what a halo might run.

I do like that finewater stone, and theres probably some other good stones out there (I'd like to post some links, but I'm running out the door!)

One other thought - spinel can do pink very well and is durable. Would that be an option too? Here's a couple examples of nice pink spinel:
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-304
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-299
https://gemfix.com/gems/spinel-31-328

dommer

Rough_Rock
Thanks chroman for your response. The 2,000 is just for the gem. She's got her heart set on a sapphire. The spinels are nice though but not this time. We're open to some of those options you think might be good as well in a sapphire.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one you posted from finewater and the last cushion radiant chroman posted yesterday. :love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, like the Finewater and the radiant cut. That said, the cutting on the radiant seems much better than the (slightly wonky looking) cutting on the Finewater stone, so I'd definitely lean towards the Pearlman's radiant. Looks like you have some really nice options!

Don't know if you care about treatments. I buy only unheated sapphires which are probably over your budget at 2ct but just for the fun of gazing from my favorite vendor. I bought two in that category and they were both marvelous (one turned world-class after precision re-cut)
https://www.wildfishgems.com/pink_sapphire_1_to_2_carat

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1713.jpg Julia B posted a nice Emerald cut one on Instagram. No price mentioned but you could inquire via her Etsy store.

dommer

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. You definitely have a nice community that has been very helpful and made me feel more confident about my purchase. I went with the Finewater sapphire. Chroman, I really liked that last option you gave me. Too bad it was over budget. Thanks again!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! :dance:
I hope you come back to post pics once you get in. Oh, ring pics too!!! :kiss:

Sirenagirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm the girlfriend mentioned in this post and now fianceé!! We wanted to come back and post some photos of our ring. It's made by David Klass. We want to thank you all so much for the valuable information we have learned on this site. We learned so much about colored stones and ring design elements that would make our ring unique and honestly AMAZING. We love it! We are so happy to be engaged and so grateful to have learned so much from you all!!! Thank you! 50083.jpeg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Choke! congratulations! Best wishes for a life time of happiness. YOU are starting out with a beautiful stone and ring. I LOVE it. So happy for you both!!!!

:love::love::love:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your stone and your ring. Congratulations! So exciting to be starting your life together...:appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautifully. I love it!!!
Congrats on your engagement too!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats for you happy people!!!
Your ring is amazing and looks stunning on you.

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
Thanks chroman9 for your response. The 2,000 is just for the gem. She's got her heart set on a sapphire. The spinels are nice though but not this time. We're open to some of those options you think might be good as well in a sapphire.

Pink spinels can be quite as beautiful like the finest pink diamonds coz they are singly refractive but sapphire is still more durable than spinel and the finest pink sapphire have a gorgeous color. I tend to prefer strongly colored pink sapphire over lighter colored and I think the price difference is about desame so I would prefer a vivid pink for the beauty and value for money.

It's very interesting she likes pink sapphire for her engagement ring coz most women when it comes to pink will buy a pink diamond. I know a flawless faint pink diamond weighing 0.31ct cushion for sale for less than $2k.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, what a beautiful ring! Congrats to both of you!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Simply stunning! I love the shield side diamond and semi-halo! David Klass does it again! Congratulations to you both! So heartwarming!
-C4C

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring for such a beautiful couple. Congratulations !

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is gorgeous, and so nice to post the photo. Congratulations!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results