shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring w/o Band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Donut

Rough_Rock
I recently fell in love with an engagement ring/setting:

http://www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com/engagement-detail.cfm?did=E5913

And while I think it fits my lady''s tastes, it doesnt lend itself at all to a wedding band. While I''m sure I could have something made that would fit, it was the simplicity of the ring that I love. I would hate to spoil the design with something that wraps around the outside or fails to fit the ring''s curves.

Does anyone thing there would be an issue with using it as both engagement ring and wedding ring? I''ve heard of this, but don''t know anyone who''s done so.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are many ladies on this forum who opt not to wear a wedding band next to their e-ring for the reasons you mentioned as well as not wanting to damage their e-rings settings. Many decide to wear one on their right hand or wear their e-ring on their right hand and wedding band on the left. It's a matter of personal preference
1.gif

7151_S5913-1f.jpg

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I think that is lovely! If you want to have a wedding band, what about a cool set of stackables for her right hand? Those would look nice together.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know of many people that wear their ering on their right hand and a wedding band on their left hand, or vice versa. It''s all a matter of choice, anything goes these days. The setting you picked is lovely!!!!
36.gif

s95

Shiny_Rock
I''ve never worn a wedding band. I have small fingers and while I wouldn''t have turned down a matching band, I don''t know if it would have looked like too much on my finger at times. I actually prefer to just wear one ring and for my upgrade ring, I ordered a ring that is about 4.5mm in width, so that it will even lend itself less to a band. It''s one less thing for me to lose.
1.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I don''t wear a wedding band. I have a three stone ring with micro pave on the shank that I wear alone. Even though there is a lovely matching band available I worried about the pave diamonds scratching each other and I prefer the feeling of one ring. I am just as married whether I wear one ring or two. The ring you are considering is gorgeous and would stand on its own very well.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Last night, I was just telling my BF about this thread and with much enthusiasm about the possibility of stackable wedding bands -- i think that he is now (rightfully so) pretty scared that i may never find diamond satisfaction!!!
emotion-5.gif

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I routinely wear just my e-ring alone. I have a simple band to go with it but don''t wear it all the time, especially in hot weather when my fingers swell a bit. I find the one ring more comfortable alone and plus I like the way it looks on it''s own. It''s a three stone.

Donut

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much, it put to rest alot of my fears. Definately stinks when the only opinion you most want is the one you can''t ask...

I know her general style preference, but a question like this would kill the surprise.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about purchasing the stone, and proposing to her with the stone-holder ring that the stone comes in, and telling her you want her to be involved in choosing the setting?

The bummer is that she might want to wear the ring immediately, and can''t...

The good thing is that she will be getting a setting she loves for sure.

It''s highly likely you know her taste very well...but do you know if she would be okay with not having a w-band on the same finger? To ask now would spoil the surprise, which is why I threw out there the possibility of proposing with the stone. Just another idea...
1.gif

Donut

Rough_Rock
I''m sure she''ll love the setting, but you''re right to question my knowlege of her ''no band'' preferences. She''s a fairly traditional girl in alot of respects and I would hate for her to be anything but thrilled with the choice. I''m planning to propose the day before her 10 year highschool reunion so I want to make sure she has something she loves to show off for her old friends.

Fortunately I''ve managed to work out an extended period of time during which we can change our minds on the setting. So her finger will still look as stunning as the rest of her for the show-off time period and we''ll have time to discuss bad options on the flight back.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2005 5:20:33 PM
Author: Donut
I''m planning to propose the day before her 10 year highschool reunion so I want to make sure she has something she loves to show off for her old friends.
You''re a smart man.
10.gif

Date: 7/11/2005 5:20:33 PM
Author: Donut
Fortunately I''ve managed to work out an extended period of time during which we can change our minds on the setting. So her finger will still look as stunning as the rest of her for the show-off time period and we''ll have time to discuss bad options on the flight back.
Sounds good to me! Once she sees the ring, she may not envision it any other way and may not care about the band thing. Good luck!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you have some time to decide on the setting. Here''s my experience with a "stand alone" ring.
2.gif

My original e-ring setting was a bypass design similar to the one you posted that was supposed to have a shadow band for it. I had the band made and didn''t like it so I wore the e-ring by itself on my left hand, basically using it as a wedding band.

Since I work with the public, I was asked quite often if my ring was my e-ring or was it my wedding ring. I would reply it was my wedding ring, then people (especially older women) would ask why I only wear one ring. After a while it got tiresome. So this past February I put the center stone in a solitaire setting so I could wear it with my eternity band.

I personally liked the comfort of only wearing one ring but b/c my ring looked more engagement-y than, say, a 3 stone ring, people kept asking me the same question.

Anything goes nowadays; you two are the only ones that have to be happy with your decision - but I''m just letting you know what it was like for me.

2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results