shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring UK

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

autosave

Rough_Rock
Hi,
This is my first post, I have been lurking for a little while trying to work out what to get.

I think I know precisely what I want, through asking my girlfriend an awful lot of subtle questions, BUT i can't find it for a decent price in the UK, so can someone help me!

I have a maximum budget of £1000 ($1500) but preferably I would like it for alot less.

I would like a princess cut diamond of say 0.3 - 0.5 Carats Certified, excellent cut, G colour or better, ~VS1 or better. In that order of importance.

I want a fairly plain platinum ring that tapers towards the mount so that it delicately holds the diamond and makes the most of the size.

I have found roughly what I want in a shop near me but it costs £1500!!!! ($2150) and the diamond isn't much good.
So can anybody help me?
I guess a good start would be finding a decent place to buy it but that seems surprisingly hard in the UK.
Thanks in advance,
Autosave

autosave

Rough_Rock
Is it just me or is the current fashion for chunky rings.
Can you just buy the mount and the diamond and go into a jewellers to get it set?
Or would they just laugh at me?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In order of my personal preference, I would try to find something .5+, I+, SI1+

Chunky is not in fashion right now.

You should get it set by either the people who sold you the diamond or who sold you the setting.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

autosave

Rough_Rock
Thanks for this, they do look great, so are these ags0 as good as the signature ideal that blue nile offer?
I think I like the 0.4

For me the ring has become the difficult thing, it doesn''t seem that blue niles platinum mounts taper get thinner towards the mount ( though its hard to tell from the photos).

So do I buy the diamond and try and get a mount locally, the only good jeweller I could find wanted £700 for the mount I wanted.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one from Whiteflash... You could probably get this and a simple solitaire setting for around $1000.
stone

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, they are as good as the BN signature Ideal.

For the mount, you will have to ask the jeweler. I remember a previous UK buyer laments that no jeweler in UK will set an outside stone in their mounting, also mounting insurance might be a problem.

autosave

Rough_Rock
So anybody know of places where you can get reasonably priced platinum settings in the UK.

I think around 0.4 is about right I pointed out bigger diamonds to my girlfriend in shop windows etc. and she said she felt that it made the ring to top heavy and just make it more likely to get caught on something.

I kind of agree on the idea of quality over quantity.

autosave

Rough_Rock
Yeah the jeweller I asked wasn't really comfortable with the idea of mounting a stone from elsewhere. He said he could get whatever I wanted (though for twice the price).
Hence I think the large price for the mount.
I don't think they do that sort of thing in the UK. often.

Could I mount it my self? Surely all you need is a blow torch and some pliers......

What is mount insurance?
In general I never insure anything as I don't own anything worth more than I can afford to replace, but I guess this could be the first thing!

Whiteflash seem to have very straight mounts as well, all I want is a little tapering, perhaps I will just have to compromise on this.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:10:41 PM
Author: autosave
I think that whiteflash diamond has a chip in the top???

http://www.whiteflash.com/pimg/IdealScope/IS_AGS_7820103.jpg

http://www.whiteflash.com/pimg/diamonds/DI40X_AGS_7820103.jpg

Can that still count as being well cut? How do you chip a diamond I thought they were pretty tough.
That is the inclusion. Look at the AGS report, it looks like the crystal inclusion. Note that the WF stone is a SI1, so the inclusions are more obvious in these pics. Check with WF to see if the stone is still eye-clean.

EDT:
Inclusion is in the clarity grade, different from cut. A diamond can still chip at the correct cleavage plane, though not likely. Which is a main reason why mounting a stone needs a insurance, in the US at least, as the jeweler will most likely not want to insure a stone that he is not selling. Not sure if one can get that kind of insurance in the UK though.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:01:17 PM
Could I mount it my self? Surely all you need is a blow torch and some pliers......

What is mount insurance?
Whiteflash seem to have very straight mounts as well, all I want is a little tapering, perhaps I will just have to compromise on this.
Mounting requires special tools and some skill... Not that easy as you will need to carve the prongs to the correct angle to set the stone in and then cut the excess prongs off and polish off your tool markings to list some of the steps... :razz:

Check with BlueNile, some mounts looks tapered.

autosave

Rough_Rock
Ok maybe I won''t do it myself...

I think I will have to ring up bluenile and see what they say.

If anybody can find a tapered platinum mount then I will be very grateful

Thanks everybody I feel like I am learning a lot, I suspect I am going to go with an online retailer. I am not sure if I dare buy from the US, the savings don''t seem that much.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Autosave

Where abouts in the UK do you live?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 6:53:19 PM
So anybody know of places where you can get reasonably priced platinum settings in the UK.

I think around 0.4 is about right I pointed out bigger diamonds to my girlfriend in shop windows etc. and she said she felt that it made the ring to top heavy and just make it more likely to get caught on something.

I kind of agree on the idea of quality over quantity.
I recommend you contact Dr Indira Marchant at www.bestdiamonds.co.uk if you are in the UK for both settings and diamonds.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Hi Autosave!

If you are just after a setting try these guys http://www.samarajames.com/index.html

I''m not sure if they do princess settings but they definately do them for rounds as I''ve just bought one from them - very resonably priced (circa £400) and I found them very helpful. I''m having the setting shipped to the US for Whiteflash to set the stone for me.

If you google ''diamond rings'' then a whole bunch of companies in the UK come up, looking at the pictures I think most of the UK websites get their settings from the same place so you could give a few of them a try. Best Diamonds is one of the exceptions, they produce their own and will be a more refined product but you would probably spend the bulk of your budget on the setting (that said, Indira is great and it might be worth seeing if she can source something).

Good luck!

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Forgot to add, Samara James would mount my WF stone for £50 but to be honest, shipping to the US via royal mail airsure (insured to £500) is £10 and then if WF dmanage the stone it''s insured - no brainer.

Double ditto the comments re quality first and you can easily drop to an eye clean H SI1 - if you get an AGS0 this will more than compensate for the slightly lower colour and it will sparkle like there''s no tomorrow. An AGS0 ''I'' is going to look at least as white (if not whiter) than the majority of the ''G'' stones you''ll buy anywhere in the UK (Best Diamonds again the exception here).

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Hi autosave,

You have gotten great advice here so far. My only suggestion again would be that if you spend your money now on a plat setting you will reduce the diamond budget. Are you upgrade friendly? If it were me I would get the nicest stone and cheapest secure setting.

Date: 2/25/2009 7:01:17 PM
I know you probably didn''t mean it; but this is so funny!
28.gif

autosave

Rough_Rock
Gailey I live just north of london.

So whiteflash will set a stone in your own ring? this a great news, because it means I can find the mount seperately.

I am considering just getting the lowest cost simplest platinum mount and then upgrading, I think thats a good idea.

A local jeweller suggested today I try Palladium.

How do you get the price for just the mount from samara james. Some of them look really nice but impossible to tell what the diamonds are like.

autosave

Rough_Rock
Blue Nile signature ideals seems to cost the same as AGS0 and their are a lot more options.
Which is better?

LAD

Rough_Rock
I got my princess from jamesallen.com. I paid $730 for the stone and a total of $905 to have it set in a setting I already had. Its a J .56 vs1. Maybe check out James Allen, they''re great to work with.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hi, I'm in the UK as well.

Currently the $ exchange rate is not giving the same benefits to buying in the USA as it was last year and before - especially when you add the 20% that you will need to add for customs duties and VAT.

Can I recommend Diamond Geezer - unfortunate name that they should really get rid of...

They did an e-ring for my BIL just before xmas - 0.55ct rb G VS2 with a GIA report in a platinum setting for under £2k. I haven't seen the report, but it looked pretty good to me in real life.

I was also impressed that when he went in asking for a D IF they told him that he was nuts and that he'd get more for his £ by dropping in colour and clarity.

ETA: I would be wary about getting the mount and diamond from different sources in the UK especially with a princess cut. It's impossible to get loose stone insurance over here and generally no jeweller will take responsibility for the stone whilst setting it - it's at your risk. If the stone were to break or chip whilst setting (about a 1% chance, but more likely in stones with corners) you would be taking the hit for it. If the jeweller has supplied the stone and setting then it will be covered.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
North of London? Hertfordshire?

Worth a trip into Hatton Gardens to shop about.

No-one will compete with online prices on GIA cert''d stones though, but it may only make a small difference to buy in a shop due to the size of the stone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 1:26:20 PM
Blue Nile signature ideals seems to cost the same as AGS0 and their are a lot more options.

Which is better?

BN signature ideals only meant that they own the stone instead of the other virtual stones you see online, and they send it to GCAL for another grading. GCAL refuse to answer what kind of metrics, methods they used to grade the princess when ask directly on this forum and the reports did not come with light performance photos similar to what is supplied for BN's round brilliants. They could be just as good as AGS0 but without knowing how GCAL judge a princess cut, I am not willing to recommend a BN Signature Ideall Princess.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

If you email or phone Samara James they will tell you which settings they carry for princess cuts and how much they are. It will vary depending on the weight of the setting as obviously the heavier ones will require more metal - mine was under £400 and I''d say it was a medium weight setting. I have no idea the quality of their diamonds but am 99.99% certain you will do better selecting an AGS0 from somewhere like Whiteflash (or James Allen - also a good US choice for service and value). Yes, you will need to allow around 17% for customs charges and around $100 for shipping if you purchase form the US.

WF will set the stone in your own setting but i forgot to mention there is a charge for this - around $70 (but it may vary depending on the stone, best to check with them). However, I would STRONGLY advise against having anyone except the vendor of the diamond set the stone, as mentioned above, princess cuts are especially vulnerable due to their sharp corners, $70 is a small price to pay compared to the cost of a chipped uninsured stone.

An AGS0 from Bluenile is probably a reasonably safe choice and may well be the best option for your budget but I''ve no idea if they will set the stone in your own setting.

Keep us posted!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 2:14:43 PM
Author: Postie
North of London? Hertfordshire?

Worth a trip into Hatton Gardens to shop about.

No-one will compete with online prices on GIA cert''d stones though, but it may only make a small difference to buy in a shop due to the size of the stone.
Not fond of Hatton Garden - on the whole I''ve found them very aggressive and a lot of the sales assistants don''t seem to know much.

I sent my brother there to do a price check when we found the centre stone for his e-ring just so he knew how good a deal I''d found him. He found the prices much higher and some vendors got very shirty when he started asking to see GIA reports or asking questions about crown and pavillion angles.

There are good and honest dealers there, but I wouldn''t want to risk going to buy if you''re not confident about exactly what you are looking for.

Postie

Rough_Rock
Trade
I''m off down there next week in search of a platinum setting. Will report back.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autosave

As has already been suggested try www.diamondgeezer.com They''ve made tons of jewellery items for me and their diamonds are wonderful. If you want certed stones, they''ll get them (or may already have some in for you to choose from). They''ll work within your budget and will suggest changes if appropriate. I trust them implicitly and their prices are extremely competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results