shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring - Something other than diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DapperDiamond

Rough_Rock
Hi all - so I have an ettiquette related question. Would it be bad form to propose with a ring that doesn''t feature a diamond as the main stone? I think she likes pink saphires a bit more than diamonds - I''d like to get her what she really wants (and if she wants pink saphire, I''d rather get her a bigger/higher quality pink saphire for the same money), but I don''t want to do something that is tacky, seems cheap, or anything of the sort. Is it better just to stick with diamond?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It''s better to get her what she''ll love to wear every day. If she likes pink sapphires more than diamonds, come on over to Coloured Stones and we''ll help you out! We
30.gif
coloured e-rings over there.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
There are lots of girls on here who have done that, myself included. I recommend the colored e ring thread as well to give you some ideas.

Saphires are fairly sturdy and a good choice for a center stone.

The only time it is "tacky" is to buy a non-diamond for a girl who REALLY wants one to save money, that I would object to.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
I specifically asked for a non-diamond ering, not because I don''t like diamonds, but because I wanted something that reflected my personality more. I also LOVE pink so I''m getting a pink center stone...come on over to colored stones, we''re all more than happy to help!

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pink sapphire ering (well, a padparadscha sapphire) that I LOVE. I''ve never seen another stone like it, so it feels very unique. It''s much more my style than a diamond.

The only thing I would caution you about is that your girlfriend (soon to be FI!) will have to be very on board with it - otherwise she''ll feel like she''s having to defend it/you against people who think you got the pink stone because you couldn''t afford a diamond.
20.gif

Here''s my ring, looking very pink (''cause I can''t resist showing it off...)

pad286.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 2:38:30 PM
Author:DapperDiamond
Hi all - so I have an ettiquette related question. Would it be bad form to propose with a ring that doesn''t feature a diamond as the main stone? I think she likes pink saphires a bit more than diamonds - I''d like to get her what she really wants (and if she wants pink saphire, I''d rather get her a bigger/higher quality pink saphire for the same money), but I don''t want to do something that is tacky, seems cheap, or anything of the sort. Is it better just to stick with diamond?
The only thing I would suggest is to make sure that this is what she wants. If so, GO FOR IT!

It does, sometimes, elicit questions such as: "why isn''t it white"...."is this a temporary E-ring?"...."when you save up will you get a real e-ring?" etc.....

BUT, that being said, people as silly questions no matter WHAT you have on your finger. Just be strong and sure in your decision and you''ll exude the confidence to say "This is what I WANTED! And i LOVE IT!"

I''ve sometimes had to answer those ?? for 20+ years now. But, I can say, I have never wavered from the decision to get a sapphire e-ring.

Thread here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-lost-sapphire-has-been-found.93860/

And here is a pic of my new "found sapphire" to replace the first one.....

Best of luck on your journey and enjoy being ''different''!
9.gif

LS

LSBox8.JPG

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 2:38:30 PM
Author:DapperDiamond

This is one of those pay attention moments. If she has SAID that she likes it more than diamonds, then by all means, go for it. I suspect you have a reason for thinking so. The only caution is that a lot of women can''t deal with the comments and Q''s that come with non-traditional stones.

If you are unsure, a diamond with a pink sapphire pave should more than reflect that she loves pink sapphire. If you are sure, then, by all means, go to the colored stones thread and have a ball!
36.gif

I know some men like to surprise their future fiancee''s, and some guys like to plan with their future fiancee''s. Just depends on what kind of guy you are.
2.gif

Nocturnius

Shiny_Rock
Everyone has said it already: if she really likes it better, go for it.

My engagement ring was a plain white gold band. And yes, I had to defend it all the time. I even had one girl tell me, "if MY man proposed with that ring, I''d have said, ''not until you put a diamond in it''!" I just rolled my eyes.

If she can handle the questions and comments, and she really loves colored stones, go for it. The engagement ring isn''t about getting the biggest diamond or most expensive stone. It''s about getting her something she will love to wear.

tweak89

Rough_Rock
Here's the ring I just had made. White Sapphire center stone with diamond accents. Her favorite gems are diamonds and sapphires. So I was able to incorporate them both into the ring.

White%20Sapphire.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think colored stone erings are GORGEOUS as long as it is what she wants. We''d be happy to help.
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what others have said - if you know for a FACT that she''d rather have a colored stone -come on over to Colored Stones and the experts there can help you find something amazing for her!
36.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get her what SHE wants, not what other people tell her she wants! I think colored stones make GORGEOUS e-rings!

hillaryr

Rough_Rock
I <3 sapphires. That said, a few things:

- Sapphires were the original stones for an engagement ring. They represent constancy, fidelity, and honor (how romantic, right!)

- they are just a little less hard than a diamond, so no worries about it not lasting forever-- it will!

- they''re unique! If your girl said she wants a sapphire, then she must long for something that "not everyone has"-- i totally get that, and I am sure a lot of the ladies on here do, too. If you can afford to get her a fab sapphire with some diamond accent stones, by all means, go for it! You only get engaged once.

I agree with the pp''s--- make sure that you kind of test the waters. Maybe point to a photo of a ring in a magazine, or create a fictional "friend" that got engaged with a colored stone to see what she might think about it. Don''t come straight out and ask, but just test the waters.

And the people over in colored stones are awesome-- when the time comes, go and see them for insight into finding the perfect stone for your perfect lady :D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results