shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring setting for 10mm Trillion stone

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Please forgive if ideas are posted elsewhere in the forum. I have been looking through for a couple of days and still need some help.

I have a 10mm trillion pink mystic topaz. Searching high and low (except for ebay) we have been unable to find a setting for the ring. i know pre made is out of the question but I don't want custom if I don't have to, at this point.
Are there any jewelers/sites anyone can recommend for a setting that only the head would need to be modified?

I was interested in LOGR and Lan on ebay but am unsure of the quality if settings. Any input?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions! As you can possibly imagine I just want my ring :)

Here a few pics of the stone (see the attachment)

2011-09-11 12.48.50.jpg

2011-09-11 12.48.36.jpg

2011-09-11 12.48.14.jpg

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
LOGR and Lanbo are both pretty well known and accepted vendors. Since it is for an engagement ring, I would ask to upgrade the diamonds, which would be an additional cost but worth it in my opinion. Both of these vendors should be able to customize a trillion setting to your size stone, at an extra cost: if you need customization, state your customization request in the clearest and most concise way possible. Some have had problems with customization requests since with vendors there may be a language barrier, etc. or even just a mistake based on the volume of their business, though I haven't had a problem yet.

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't go with LOGR or Ianbo for an engagement ring. I find many of their settings to be great for rings I wear occasionally but not everyday use. Do you have in mind a particular setting of theirs that you like? Some of them are better then others but for the long term haul I would probably go with an etsy vendor who could make something stronger. Have you checked with DanielM?

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
Thank you Sarah!
I was looking at this ring (see attached)

I haven't checked out DanielM bc I didn't know exactly where to locate his info. but I found it on etsy and will check out those vendors.
Thank you

lord of pearls.jpg

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think since your centerstone is a mystic topaz a logr/ LAN Bao setting sounds fine because the level of babying the setting needs will match the level of babying the stone needs. From the internets:
Coatings on mystic topaz can be scratched or damaged easily. It should therefore be handled with the same care as pearls for example. The coating is sensitive to chemicals and therefore one needs to remove the jewelry when doing household activities that include bleach for example or before going into a swimming pool.

Although Topaz is a hard substance, it can be cleaved rather easily and perfectly in one particular direction. Therefore, boiling in water or the use of an ultrasonic cleaner are not recommended when cleaning pieces of jewelry set with Topaz.

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
Thank you Kelpie. The info on caring for the stone is greatly appreciated. The info about the babying was also helpful as this was one of my concerns.
I will post pics as soon as I get my ring. I have located one on etsy (chrismueller) and another on ebay :razz:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ok the setting you posted from LOGR looks to be one of their better settings. If you were going for a thin shank ring I would have ruled it out completely but as Kelpie mentioned you will need to baby topaz to last so this setting should be fine.

If you do go the LOGR route make sure you are very clear what you want and/ or modifying on the ring. Their english isn't fantastic. Check it over carefully when it arrives to make sure the customizations were done that you paid for.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty setting Flozell!

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
Thank you!
@ Sarah, thank you for the advice. At this time I am now wondering if this stone is too big.... as you can see in the pics I have small hands. I found another setting on etsy and it is much more simple but due to the size of the stone cost went up $600 more ;(

Does anyone know of a jeweler who could piece a whole trillion out of half pink tourmaline and half peridot?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps a lab could synthesize something like a peridot tourm mix (though I haven't seen it before), but two stones cannot be cut and then glued together. Or rather, they can, but they would like like a frankenstone.

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
I figured it was a stretch but thought I would ask anyway :)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
you would have better luck looking for a bi-color tourmaline with both pink and green, cut in a trillion. It would also be far more durable than mystic topaz. I doubt you would find such a tourmaline already cut in a trillion.
You would need to contact the custom cutters (quite a few are mentioned frequently here) and ask if they might have suitable rough available.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I wouldn't recommend a topaz for an e-ring unless you only plan to wear it when you go out (what I do with my garnet e-ring), and the coating on mystic topaz isn't designed to stand up to frequent long-term wear. It also can't be recoated when it scratches/wears off.

If you are happy to replace the stone fairly often then that is another matter.

You couldn't even grow a tourmaline/peridot mix - different chemical formulae, different crystal structures etc and glueing them would be a bad plan. You could have 2 stones set side by side in a semi-invisible setting.

However, peridot isn't a good choice for an e-ring either, it's relatively soft, chips if you look at it funny (only stones I have ever chipped have all been peridots) and is very sensitive to chemicals - I've seen the results of exposing one to a common brand of kitchen cleaner for a minute and it was :-o

You are best to stick with spinels, sapphires, chrysoberyls and if you plan to baby the ring then garnets, tourmalines, topaz, beryls are possibles.

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
I knew the topaz would be sensitize but wasn't aware that it so fragile ( terms of coating, etc).
I have a few peridots ( as it's my birthstone) and haven't ran into any issues but then again I don't wear rings on a daily basis.
I was trying to go for a stone that represents me and my FI becoming one. I will look into some the cutters mentioned on here as well as the pink and green tourmaline mix. I prefer the settings that baby the stone.
My FI birthstone is Opal with pink tourmaline as the secondary birthstone.

I have been to a few jewelers and none of them mentioned just how sensitive the topaz is :(sad but then again doing my research beforehand would have definitely helped.

Thank you everyone for you advice. I truly appreciate it !!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I do think that I have seen some portmanteau stones before. Two different stones faced smooth and joined with an optical epoxy like the ones used in camera lenses, then cut as one rough. Though I can't remember where I have seen them, if I were looking for something like that I would ask Andrew Gulij at Gemfix since he does a different kind of gem modification himself. If not he could point you in a good direction.

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to thank each of you for your advice. I found a jeweler on etsy and he was amazing. Mastergoldcraft created this e-ring for me. I love it ! It's watermelon tourmaline

2011-10-24 00.05.54.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty. Congratulations! I think you made a much better choice. I wore a tourmaline ring everyday for years and it held up well, although I would recommend getting the facets polished every couple of years.

Do you have an photos that show the tourmaline effect?

Any thoughts on your experience with mastergoldcraft?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty e-ring!!! What did you do with the topaz? In the photos it was a gorgeous stone. But I like the tourmaline as well. Perfect with your skin tone. :)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice choice! Great colour in the stone and a well proportioned band for both the stone and your hand. Congratulations on your engageMENT :appl:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VapidLapid|1316300401|3019722 said:
I do think that I have seen some portmanteau stones before. Two different stones faced smooth and joined with an optical epoxy like the ones used in camera lenses, then cut as one rough. Though I can't remember where I have seen them, if I were looking for something like that I would ask Andrew Gulij at Gemfix since he does a different kind of gem modification himself. If not he could point you in a good direction.

Hans Meevis, perhaps? He does this a lot with synthetics, but has also done similar pieces with natural stones.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I think you made the perfect choice! It looks great on your hand. :D

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Great choice and it looks lovely on your hand.

flozell3737

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for the compliments. The lighting in my house is not the greatest but I will take a better pic of it and post it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results