shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring / Second Opinion / Thoughts

edwardianring

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I recently bought an engagement and was looking for a few second opinions from this online community / people in the jewelry trade.

I found a 1CT Edwardian style engagement ring with lovely filigree, engraving - it was exactly what I was looking for. I had the same setting style created by the same designer, but for a slightly larger center-stone 1.25CT. When I received the finished 1.25CT ring I was a bit shocked that the proportions of the ring had changed in a very noticeable way.

comparison_top.jpg
1.25CT setting is top image and 1CT setting is bottom image.
From the top view, when compared to the 1CT setting:
- It looks like there is too much exposed basket/metal around the diamond.
- It looks like the prongs are way to wide/bulky.
- It also looks like the prong bend inward too much.

comparison_profile.jpg
From the side/profile view, when compared to 1CT setting:
- It looks like the prong are bend in strangely.
- It looks like the prongs are way to wide/bulky.

Can anyone here help to confirm wether of not the center stone was set correctly or not? My eyes are telling me that this larger ring isn't properly set / proportional. I'd really appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or solid facts (about proper prong arrangements, etc.)

Thank you,
Edwardian Ring

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I see:-

1. The prongs on the 1.25ct are too bulky and not tapered at all. They would look so much better if they were slimmed down and also straightened a bit. Some of them lean very slightly to one side (which is apparent in the up close photo but may not be in real life). I see your point about how they bend over too much but actually, once slimmed down, that would probably be better for security reasons.

2. The diamond hasn't been set straight. Look at the table of the diamond. You should have a point of the V facet pointing towards the top and bottom prongs but they're off centre and I think that's quite noticeable (up close - of course it won't be on the hand I don't think).

3. I actually like the profile of the 1.25ct better - it's very pretty. However, can you just check the millgraining around the inner edge. Is it done evenly? It's difficult to know whether it's just lighting or not.

4. The swoop of the shank where it hits the head is much more angled in the 1.25 and less "swoopy" in the 1ct. However, if it were the same proportions it MAY look a little bulky. The diamonds in the shank are also larger and you wouldn't want them larger again I don't think?

5. Not sure if this is a trick of the photograph/light but the metal rim around the bottom of the diamond (in photo 1) looks slightly wider than in other areas. That really could be just the angle and when you look at the 1ct it actually looks quite uneven in places.

I think thinning the prongs and rotating the diamond may make a big difference and I don't think will be too big a job and it's a very lovely ring.

I hope that helps.

edwardianring

Rough_Rock
Hello LovingDiamonds,

Thank you so much for your notes. I really appreciate it.

I agree with you. I actually didn't notice #2, that the diamond wasn't set straight. Thank you so much for pointing that out.

It boogles my mind that the very respected jeweler I bought the ring through would set the diamond crookedly, after assuring me that everything was "perfect."

Thanks,
Edwardian Ring

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Edwardian, I think with a little prong work and a stone that's set correctly you'll have a very pretty ring. (There's just waaaay too much to those prongs.) You might have to find a different bench person to get this right, however.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that it has lovely proportions and really just needs some refining of the prongs. The setting is meant to be an illusion style that makes the diamond look a little larger, I believe.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I think yours is lovelier than the smaller one. I really prefer everything about it, ok, maybe the prongs could be a bit thinner but other than that, it's perfect.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I really like number one. I didn't read your entire post before jumping to the conclusion that number 2 was yours because it's the one that is the least pretty. I think you have a stunning ring and a bit of prong tweaking would make it perfect :love:

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
From the side, I definitely like your ring the best. From the top, I like the other, just because of the enormous prongs. I think once those are thinned down, I will like ALL of yours the best.

I kind of agree with this: "- It looks like there is too much exposed basket/metal around the diamond." But it is hard to tell, from a picture how it looks IRL, on a hand. I don't know anything about stuff like this, so I don't know if it could be made thinner. However, I think the prongs are the biggest problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results