shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring search Brain Overload.........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jlb27

Rough_Rock
Hey, how''s everybody doing? So, I met my future a little over two years ago (we''ve been together for a year and a half), and have known she was the one within a month of knowing her. I have been planning the proposal for a few months now, which is set to occur in just over 3 months. Although we both just graduated college, we''re both pretty old-fashioned. I love to surprise her every once in a while and the engagement ring / proposal will be no exception. Anyway, afraid to be left completely in the dark as to what type of ring to purchase, I brought her to the mall ring gazing one day last summer to get a better idea as to she''d really like. After that day, we agreed to not speak of any dates or rings or the such (keeping with the old-fashioned theme) until the official day. We talk about starting a family, buying our first home together, and the such all of the time, but I carefully leave her in the dark as to the actual specifics, which I have been secretly plotting nearly everyday now. Wow, I cannot believe I just rambled on with that entire story... what can I say, she is the love of my entire life and want to give her everything I possibly can. Okay, so on to the actual ring discussion (my apologies for the time-consuming side story) -

Having just started my first job only a couple months ago, my budget is not quite as bountiful as many of the stories I''ve read over the last few months. Mine sits at just under $2500, and I would rank the 4 C''s as follows:

Princess Cut: Ideal (highest cut available)
Carat: .7
Clarity: VS2
Color: G

I''ve searched many sites, and I''m sure many of you won''t like this, but I''m leaning towards Blue Nile''s Signature Collection of Princess diamonds. Cut really is the most important charasteristic, but I really don''t want to sacrifice any of the other qualities. I guess I just wanted to take a little break from my exhausting search to maybe get a few kind opinions.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Go down to an H color VS2/ SI1 and you should be ok. A G/ VS2 with an ideal cut may be pushing it if you cant bend on the budget at all.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:56:23 AM
Author: Maisiebelle

It would be a compromise to get the size you want - when I am searching for a .70 G VS2 Ideal Princess they are coming in around the $3000 mark.

Maisie
...or $2853 wire price. But...if you stick with Blue Nile, no offence to WF, which I generally favor...you make no compromise at all...so long as you understand what it seems they (and potentially you) are doing with the categories.

For rounds, the proportion based categories are ostensibly more reasonable. For some contemporary discussion of this, see here for some further insight into the nature of their misrepresentation.

Julie has really picked the winner from BN. They actually have a bunch of AGS options...and if you wanted to save $100 you could pick this one...still getting 0 for light performance, but she''s found the only triple 000. And, you won''t find a one AGS option in their signature selection.

I used to consider Excel.com another option for budget AGS options. They will still win out for providing additional info, I haven''t looked there now, and they may or may not have others to consider. But, sticking with BN...there''s certainly a new strategy for finding nice princesses. Potentially, anyway.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oops forgot the wire price
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:32:35 AM
Author: Regular Guy

Julie...

Words are not cost sensitive, you know...
Perhaps not, Ira, but it seems that Julie very well understands that sometimes less is more......

While words may not be cost sensitive, too many of them diminishes the impact of the whole.
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 10:06:36 AM

Date: 3/13/2007 7:56:23 AM
Author: Maisiebelle

It would be a compromise to get the size you want - when I am searching for a .70 G VS2 Ideal Princess they are coming in around the $3000 mark.

Maisie
...or $2853 wire price. But...if you stick with Blue Nile, no offence to WF, which I generally favor...you make no compromise at all...so long as you understand what it seems they (and potentially you) are doing with the categories.
I disagree, Ira. In fact, there are more than a few compromises.

*With BN, they don''t provide photos, and they don''t provide IS images. That''s huge when you''re dealing with a fancy shape.
*BN reps can''t visually inspect the stones themselves prior to sending out, so you aren''t getting the expertise of someone with a practiced eye viewing them.
* BN doesn''t have ANY upgrade policy.

Honestly, dropping the clarity from VS2 to SI1 is the avenue of least compromise PROVIDING that the SI1 is still eyeclean.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Al,

Consider the playing field.

Maisiebelle opened this up to oranges (WF), and you continued with the extension. If we just decide to stick with apples...recall JLB says:
Date: 3/12/2007 10:20:28 PM
Author:jlb27

I''ve searched many sites, and I''m sure many of you won''t like this, but I''m leaning towards Blue Nile''s Signature Collection of Princess diamonds. Cut really is the most important charasteristic, but I really don''t want to sacrifice any of the other qualities....
My suggestion was just to modify the OP''s original constraints as little as possible, including choice of vendor, budget, and in particular, get at any helpful clarifying comments on cut. Sure...WF is easy to be a fan of, as I indicated above.

But, if choosing must among...Red Delicious, Granny''s, yellows, etc.

If you could choose, towards getting the best cut diamond, either a BN signature ideal, or an AGS0 ranked any which way...would your choice be clear, all other things being equal?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Since you are just starting out and your income is bound to increase, you may want to consider one of the Pricescope vendors that has an upgrade policy. I do not believe Blue Nile has that accommodation.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was trying to help by finding a similar cheaper alternative. I can see that it wasn''t the right thing to do. I probably don''t know enough to try to offer help with choices so I shall stick with admiring finished rings. I''m good at that.
1.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Maisiebelle,

I like oranges. Also, I think yours and Solange''s and even Al''s (who will not tend to best me at economy of words, though we could both try to win at that) comments are possibly quite helpful. I think generally, with boards like this, we should have an attitude of helping, all grist for the mill, and no need for pencils (that have erasers). Even though Leonid recently took this away from us (editing now limited).

Warmest regards,

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 3:18:47 PM
Maisiebelle,

I like oranges. Also, I think yours and Solange''s and even Al''s (who will not tend to best me at economy of words, though we could both try to win at that) comments are possibly quite helpful. I think generally, with boards like this, we should have an attitude of helping, all grist for the mill, and no need for pencils (that have erasers). Even though Leonid recently took this away from us (editing now limited).

Warmest regards,
I definitely try to help.... I guess I may not know enough to help that much - but I still like to try. Never gonna be an Ideal Rock if I don''t give it my best effort!!!
9.gif

pixelbender

Rough_Rock
In general terms - the brain overload will subside as you push further! I myself am new to PS, we''re both graduating this spring, have been together for 4 years, and will be getting engaged before we graduate.

At first we bought an antique ring on eBay but it turned out to be too old/worn to make into a viable ering. Then we bought "spur of the moment" a jewelery-store ring in a going out of business sale (70% off), DO NOT DO THIS LOL! She liked it, and I bought it, and although it was cheap it wasn''t that great of value (and the center diamond was small).

We''ve since looked at getting a larger 3/4 ct RB and getting a basic solitaire setting to hold the stone as we get a custom ring done before the wedding (since I have limited budget now but will be making more once graduated). In the end, we ended up staying with the antique sapphire ring I bought her for her 21st. We''re going to replace the sapphire with a 1/2 carat RB, but now I can afford to go to the best quality H&A diamond and the ring still has a lot of sentiment. I bought that ring for $100 on eBay (18kt WG, before stamps were around but its been verified) and will end up spending $2000 total on an awesome looking ring. This way, my extra money will go to a custom-designed wedding band (that will really be an alternative band to wear than the antique).

Oh, and the saphhire will go into a slide necklace.

I know this didn''t answer much of your questions re: specific diamond, but I wanted to let you know that with a limited budget you can STILL have an awesome ring. I had a huge headache, but it is finally gone now that we''ve kept pushing through. Now to just keep looking everyday for that perfect stone... Good luck!

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Before seeing a 1 carat K color on Wink TV the other day,........... That diamond was an Infinity AGS0 cut Princess,............. I would have hesitated suggesting this one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/aca_princess/a-cut-above-princess-cut-diamond-174074.htm

That''s an AGS0 that meets your budget, size, and clarity. The only compromise is color. After having seen that Infinity AGS0 K color princess face up White, White, White,....... It''s quite possible that may be the case with this stone as well. You''d just have to call and ask.

And, as someone pointed out earlier, WF does have a lifetime upgrade policy. Down the road,.... as your income improves,........ your lady can get a larger diamond if she wants with the full amount of today''s stone price credited toward the new diamond.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, RG.
3.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 4:41:42 PM
Author: JulieN
OK, RG.
3.gif
Can I get some ice cream with that (noting your avatar...which has gone through some rapid changes recently...peek a boo).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you tried pinkberry? it''s the new food fad in LA.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 11:10:51 AM

Al,

Consider the playing field.

Maisiebelle opened this up to oranges (WF), and you continued with the extension. If we just decide to stick with apples...recall JLB says:

Date: 3/12/2007 10:20:28 PM
Author:jlb27

I''ve searched many sites, and I''m sure many of you won''t like this, but I''m leaning towards Blue Nile''s Signature Collection of Princess diamonds. Cut really is the most important charasteristic, but I really don''t want to sacrifice any of the other qualities....

My suggestion was just to modify the OP''s original constraints as little as possible, including choice of vendor, budget, and in particular, get at any helpful clarifying comments on cut. Sure...WF is easy to be a fan of, as I indicated above.

But, if choosing must among...Red Delicious, Granny''s, yellows, etc.

If you could choose, towards getting the best cut diamond, either a BN signature ideal, or an AGS0 ranked any which way...would your choice be clear, all other things being equal?

Ira, while I enjoy talking about fruits and all, it''s not terribly germane to this topic (at least not as presented).

You seem to misinterpret both Maisie''s contribution and mine, so let me clarify. I didn''t comment in this thread as a "fan" of anyone. Yes, I''ve had great experiences with WF, but I''m equally sure many other vendors could make me happy as well.

You tend to focus on the stone only, and that''s totally your prerogative. However, for some buyers (myself included), factors that affect the stone (ability to get a sense for how well it''s cut from photos/scopes) and upgradability ARE very important. In fact, for someone who''s on a limited budget, I think that upgradability is more important than many other things, because there is a higher likelihood of possibly upgrading later.

I understood your suggestion; I just chose to bring another one to the table. That''s the beauty of Pricescope - no one''s opinion is any more ''right'' than another''s.

And to answer your question, my clear choice is always to make sure I get the most value from my purchase, and that means cut, clarity, color, tools that I consider important to the purchase, a good purchase experience, and features that matter to me (upgradability being one of them). Ignoring any of those things is to shortchange myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results