Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Redesign with the invisible gallery

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Leave as is

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
04C3935A-1112-4CAF-ADAF-A9CB86AB653A.jpeg 14DB2397-8045-48F3-9606-61E7EC6F2879.jpeg 15B85426-3F01-48D3-BB22-A3AF7BD23508.jpeg B53CAB3A-D515-449C-B863-23B10A3658F7.jpeg 13FACF9C-6AE7-4266-BCA8-88B45E30D7FC.jpeg 89A1D7D8-57FA-4C34-824F-E3C9A5EBDF9A.jpeg A852AFDD-58D8-436C-89BF-74C50ACC448C.jpeg A0C9BF36-964D-49A9-88B2-755BD038B200.jpeg
1DB06776-92E3-4913-92A9-F8AFD38020BC.jpeg Hi Everyone!

I need help with my engagement ring. Long story short I upgraded my diamond in February 2018 and the jeweler had to re-do my entire engagement ring. However, it is not exactly the same. I took it back three times to try and get it rectified but soon gave up after 3 months of back and forth. I had double prongs on my original ER and wanted the exact same style just change the center stone. The prongs are way too chunky and now I’m thinking about having it re-done. Even a few side stones have fallen out and I’m upset about the whole situation. I used to love my original ring but he didn’t replicate the setting exactly the same as promised.

So my dilemma is this - should I just get the prongs re-done somewhere else with thinner, more dainty prongs (less metal) OR 2) I saw this different setting with an invisible halo? For the record I don’t like halos but this one is so subtle that I quite like it and it adds about 1-2mm if width to the center stone.

Here are pictures are of my current engagement ring and then there are photos of the ring I tried on and an inspiration photo.

Help please!!

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Bump. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This is going to be one of those things that only you can answer. We can however steer you towards jewellers that will keep working until you ARE happy.
How big is the new diamond? Is it the one in the beach picture?
I love the hidden halo, and erica winters I think makes a lovely one, but if the one on the beach is your new one I think a solitaire with double claw prongs would be prettier. That's just my preference, what truly matters is yours.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
3BF073B4-8C73-416C-BDCA-3E516FFB1DE3.jpeg FA06EC1D-478F-41AE-8E62-B3DCFF50A532.jpeg
This is going to be one of those things that only you can answer. We can however steer you towards jewellers that will keep working until you ARE happy.
I love the hidden halo, and erica winters I think makes a lovely one, but if the one on the beach is your new one I think a solitaire with double claw prongs would be prettier. That's just my preference, what truly matters is yours.

The beach picture is just an insp photo for the style. My diamond is the diamond in this photo.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock

For reference, my diamond is 1.32ct.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted halo because i love halos. You said that you don’t yet you like this one. I don’t understand what feedback you want because you havent really given us the reasons you are weighing in your decision.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I voted halo because i love halos. You said that you don’t yet you like this one. I don’t understand what feedback you want because you havent really given us the reasons you are weighing in your decision.

I don’t like the traditional halos on my finger - it just doesn’t look good. However, the very barely there halo ring that I tried on was quite lovely. So I’m trying to decide between keeping the head of the ring simple with just thinner prongs or go with the barely there halo. Does that make sense?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whats an invisible gallery?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I swap out my settings a lot. I like change. So I would love the new setting. I like it better than your setting. But. I don’t know if you are sentimental about your setting or if cost is an issue. Are you just looking for opinions about what would look better? Bc both styles are very similar. Even your double prongs are not that bad. Your single prongs would be fine. Are you just craving change? Or are the prongs a huge issue that bother you to the point that you can’t appreciate your ring? Those are the reasons I’m asking for.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
I swap out my settings a lot. I like change. So I would love the new setting. I like it better than your setting. But. I don’t know if you are sentimental about your setting or if cost is an issue. Are you just looking for opinions about what would look better? Bc both styles are very similar. Even your double prongs are not that bad. Your single prongs would be fine. Are you just craving change? Or are the prongs a huge issue that bother you to the point that you can’t appreciate your ring? Those are the reasons I’m asking for.

I want to get my ring re-done because it’s the fine details that weren’t done properly like the prongs, the pave along the sides too. The metal looks smooshed and I’m OCD so it bothers me. I came across the dainty barely there halo and really liked it. I’m leaning that way. A little more finger coverage also helps albeit quite minimal. The invisible/barely there halo is a nice touch without being too much. I tend to go for classic styles so something too trendy is definitely not for me.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you'll be happiest with a hand-forged vendors (Steven Kirsch, Victor Canera, DiamondsbyLauren) as you can get smaller prongs with hand-forged platinum (or DK's custom palladium wg mix). But, what budget do you have in mind for the new setting?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a guys POV but why not do the invisible halo? You seem drawn to it and maybe there is some positive vibes that result from a new setting design vs just fixing a mess up.

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with @sledge - the invisible halo is pretty and there’s a lot to recommend a new setting over a do-over/fix-up of the botched reset. You can always get the original setting remade if the halo doesn’t work for you but it’s a pretty look

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Just a guys POV but why not do the invisible halo? You seem drawn to it and maybe there is some positive vibes that result from a new setting design vs just fixing a mess up.

I think I’m leaning that way. Waiting for a quote to do that. Thank you!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I’m leaning that way. Waiting for a quote to do that. Thank you!

You're very welcome!

I'm glad to hear you reached a point you can move forward. Getting a new vantage point is sometimes exactly what we need to find inner peace & happiness.

Ahem, we expect lots of pictures. ;)2 :cool2:

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
You're very welcome!

I'm glad to hear you reached a point you can move forward. Getting a new vantage point is sometimes exactly what we need to find inner peace & happiness.

Ahem, we expect lots of pictures. ;)2 :cool2:

You know, women are just really indecisive sometimes....

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who have you elected to get quotes from?

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Who have you elected to get quotes from?

A local jeweler here in my town, and still deciding on a few others. I’m in Canada so a lot of the people that were recommended is not feasible. I did get a quote from an independent in NYC but with our dollar being so low it doesn’t make sense. Anyone know of any excellent jewelers in the Toronto GTA area?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A local jeweler here in my town, and still deciding on a few others. I’m in Canada so a lot of the people that were recommended is not feasible. I did get a quote from an independent in NYC but with our dollar being so low it doesn’t make sense. Anyone know of any excellent jewelers in the Toronto GTA area?

So, I'll pass on my personal approach to custom ring design.
1) Is the setting I want available on the open market? If so, spend a lot of time looking at options that are already available. This eliminated a lot of the stress and unknowns of custom (as you know!).
2) If I go custom, can the vendor actually execute the exact setting I want? You need to see actual examples of custom settings like the one you want to make this decision.
3) Can the look I want be achieved through a cast setting or does it need to be hand-forged?
4) How many design rounds or CAD rounds are built into the cost? What if I want to stop working with the designer after the CADs are sketches, can I get a partial refund?
5) Will I work with the actual designer and CAD designer or just the jeweler? This leads to more risk of communication issue when the jeweler is in the middle.

Here's how I read your desires, but you do this analysis yourself.
1) The setting style you want is available on the open market and does not need to be custom.
2) You are still exploring this
3) Based on your expressing "fine metal work", I would suggest you need a hand-forged design in platinum or a very very good cast design. For hand-forging, I think Victor Canera's style and skill would work for you. Below is a link to a setting that is quite close to the design. I'm unclear if you want U-pave or bead-set, but this gives you the idea of what hand-forging can look like. You won't get such fine details out of a cast setting.
Example. https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-evelyn-pave-solitaire

You are physically closer to New York City and Steven Kirsch. He would also make a gorgeous ring for you.

4) You need to explore this.
5) You need to explore this.

I wish I could recommend someone in Canada, but most of our Canadian PS members get rings made in the US.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As always, all great and valid points by @rockysalamander!

You've been down the custom road. That is also the path I took and I had a fairly hard design and was the guy doing it for the girl without her input. Rocky and several others were key in helping me verbalize small details that made a difference. I went through multiple CAD revisions and had moments I questioned the entire process. I will never forget how the plastic model I got really made me question things. That was a major turning point in my own journey.

When all was said and done, it all worked out. But it took lots of hours and energy of not only myself but others here helping to accomplish the goal.

Looking back I know it was meant to be my story and I wouldn't change it.

But had my girl at any point found a setting like the VC that captured her desires and was that high quality while meeting budget goals then I would seriously consider that.

That said, my fiancee has received so many compliments on not just the stone but the design and quality of the setting. She then shares the fact of how it came together and that I designed it for her and she relives the moment I tried to give her over and over again. It makes me smile each time.

Whatever you decide, know there are good people to help.with your journey too if custom is what you choose.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are there any benefits to you buying from the UK vs the US in regard to the value of your dollar?

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-3_13-31-10.png
    upload_2019-1-3_13-31-10.png
    127.1 KB · Views: 30
  • upload_2019-1-3_13-31-28.png
    upload_2019-1-3_13-31-28.png
    148.3 KB · Views: 42
  • upload_2019-1-3_13-32-8.png
    upload_2019-1-3_13-32-8.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 24

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Are there any benefits to you buying from the UK vs the US in regard to the value of your dollar?

No. Our dollar sucks right now.

Also, I don’t want to go with the ring I saw as there are elements of my ring I’d like to keep. So that really leaves me with going custom. I got one quote for US$1700. I’m awaiting the quote from the Canadian Jeweller so we’ll see what that comes in at.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results