shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Poll: MMD vs Mined Diamonds choice

How much of a discount off of mined diamond's price would convince you to get an MMD?

• Total voters

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing the heated MMD thread in Rocky Talky, I was curious at what price point people would consider MMDs for engagement rings (as they are the most frequent and sentimental purchase).
Please assume all 4Cs are the same- only origin differs

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I said no discount, but there are other factors than price--namely, quality, selection, and availability. Overall mined will beat synthetic in most cases.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To me it’s a false dilemma. ‘Discount’ isn’t the right word. It’s like asking how much of a discount Winnebago’s should cost when compared to Ferraris or pricing bicycles compared to pizza.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's mind clean issue for me. I just prefer diamonds over MMD.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The “pricing” of any item is debatable.
If no one wants an item and no one offers any money for it, technically it is worthless - $0.
On the other hand, if a lot of people want something, it will be the person with the greatest want and corresponding most money that will buy it for $????
The value of any gemstone is somewhat intriguing.
Gemstones have no “function” other than to be pretty and be recognised, by some, as a status item. Unlike food or shelter or clothing or even modes of transport, a persons life, health etc is not dependent upon a gemstone.
It gets even more intriguing when a gemstones main function, which is to be pretty, is able to be identically replicated by man.
A synthetic Ruby is exactly the same chemical composition as a natural ruby. Same colour, same durability and often requiring sophisticated testing to identify but it has a vastly different value. A 10 carat flawless Pigeon blood red synthetic Ruby - say $10, A 10 carat unheated, top colour Burmese Ruby - Millions of dollars!
Rarity is the key combined with desirability for a rare item by people who have almost limitless pockets makes a 10 carat Burmese Ruby worth Millions.
However set into a lovely diamond setting, who can tell, just by looking, the difference? Unless you are walking around with your AGL Prestige Report plus your Christie’s receipt for payment, no ordinary person would ever expect or even contemplate that that pretty red thing on your finger is worth more than all the money they’ll ever earn working all their life!
And the really sad reality is that the person who spent all that money on a 10 carat Burmese Ruby, such a beautiful and rare creation of nature, will probably keep it securely locked up so it can’t even perform its one function which is to be beautiful to look at.
So buy what you like to look at, spend as much as you want but not too much that you’ll be worried to wear it.
And if it’s a big ,expensive and desirable gemstone and you paid a small fortune for it, just hope that people recognise it for what it is. And that in the future, if you need to sell it to buy actual necessities or essentials for living, that more than 1 person also recognizes its natural beauty and will pay handsomely to be able to gaze down upon it!
And as an owner of a largish diamond, it is somewhat deflating when people assume it’s a CZ.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could upgrade to a large MMD for a small price, at this point in my life I would. I own enough mined diamonds.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I wouldn't want a MMD. Even as a broke teenager I chose amethysts until we could afford a mind diamond. Now decades later I'm only interested in FCDs in diamonds and probably will never buy another colorless unless its melee in a ring.

I do see lots of young women around me with obvious (to me) MMD or moissy's as they are barely surviving but have 2 cts on their fingers. Everybody is different I guess.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I literally have no issue whatsoever with MMDs. If it has the specs I want, it doesn't matter at all to me whether or not it was mined or made in a lab, as long as it is a diamond.

gem0282

Rough_Rock
How could you tell a MMD from a natural one? Assuming you do not know the person's financial income at all. I am looking to buy a MMD because so many online sources claim there is little to no difference though I've yet to see one in person myself.

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I wouldn't want a MMD. Even as a broke teenager I chose amethysts until we could afford a mind diamond. Now decades later I'm only interested in FCDs in diamonds and probably will never buy another colorless unless its melee in a ring.

I do see lots of young women around me with obvious (to me) MMD or moissy's as they are barely surviving but have 2 cts on their fingers. Everybody is different I guess.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
How could you tell a MMD from a natural one? Assuming you do not know the person's financial income at all. I am looking to buy a MMD because so many online sources claim there is little to no difference though I've yet to see one in person myself.

I guess I should clarify and say it's an educated guess that it is not a mind diamond due to financials, because I certainly don't mean I can see the difference in natural vs MMD (as they are chemically identical, right?). However, I have been able to spot moissanite on numerous occasions. I don't have the technical jargon down, but the way the light hits it is a give away. I have read that they now are making moissys more colorless and cutting them differently, so perhaps I wouldn't be able to tell them all apart now or in the future.

I agree with Bron above, about buy what you can afford and love. But I would urge you to read about Lightbox selling MMDs at a very low cost next month if you haven't already. Some are of the opinion that the value of MMDs will crash once this happens. This still is not an attempt to dissuade you. Just don't over pay if you go that route.

gem0282

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice! I have seen many people saying that. I will definitely wait till at least October to purchase my MMD. I am looking for a 2 carat one though so I'm not sure if the price will go down by much, since Lightbox is only offering up to 1 carat.

I guess I should clarify and say it's an educated guess that it is not a mind diamond due to financials, because I certainly don't mean I can see the difference in natural vs MMD (as they are chemically identical, right?). However, I have been able to spot moissanite on numerous occasions. I don't have the technical jargon down, but the way the light hits it is a give away. I have read that they now are making moissys more colorless and cutting them differently, so perhaps I wouldn't be able to tell them all apart now or in the future.

I agree with Bron above, about buy what you can afford and love. But I would urge you to read about Lightbox selling MMDs at a very low cost next month if you haven't already. Some are of the opinion that the value of MMDs will crash once this happens. This still is not an attempt to dissuade you. Just don't over pay if you go that route.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wait to find out how things pan out is worse than waiting for Christmas! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results