shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring / Lazare

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sly1200

Rough_Rock
First, thanks to all the posters on the forum. This site has been a HUGE help!

Second, I need some input on a couple of different stones I have found at local B&M''s. I know that for the most part the internet has better deals on comparable stones, but I would like the stone set and ready by Dec 14. I worry if I purchase a stone online I am not happy with then it would be a hassle to return it and have the refund applied. However, there is something to be said about no sales tax. Anyways, a local B&M that sells Lazare diamonds has the following coming from NYC on Monday:
0.94 Ct.; H; VS2; Ideal Cut AGS0; $6540

It seemed a little steep, but I went to another B&M and found:
0.89 ct.; F; SI1; "Ultimate" Ideal AGS0 H&A; $6395

As far as ideal cuts go, and from what I understand the cut is extremely important, those are the two in my price range locally, I would like to keep the price around $6500. Ideally my specs are the following
0.90 - 1.10 Ct.
VS1 - SI1
E - H
AGS0 - AGS2 Cut Quality
If GIA then: VG - EX symmetry/polish/cut

If anyone can offer advice on the Lazare, or any other options, internet or other, please let me know. Thanks for all of your help!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Find out the physical DIMENSIONS of both stones .. in mm ... for some reason I prefer the first & it''s only a couple hundred dollar difference.

.94 is a very rare size ... almost 1 ct, but they still cut the stone to ideal proportions instead of trying to "hide" some weight in the girdle & get the above 1 ct price jump. Makes me think it''s a great stone & much more likely to have a "1 ct" appearance than the other stone.

But the dimensions will tell us more than my "hunch".
1.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, In Nov I bought a 1.32 GVS2 GIA Ex/Ex/Ex stone from a trusted B&M jeweler. Prior to purchasing I did some price research on Tiffany''s and Lazare diamonds for a similar size stone. Both Tiffany and Lazare quoted me at least 40% more than the B&M jeweler I bought from. I guess with Tiffany and Lazare you are paying a lot for the branding and my stone outperforms some of the Tiffany stones on the HCA.

sly1200

Rough_Rock
Yes, I will try and get the exact dimensions of the first stone ASAP. My only other worry about the Lazare is the H color in a white gold setting. It is about the lowest color grade I wanted to go and I''m afraid it might be too much.

Also, I do recognize that it is a rare cut and I appreciate that it the quality wasn''t sacrificed for that magic 1ct. I plan on a setting with side stones, probably a channel setting, which will bring the total ct.wt. well over 1ct.

My main concern is the price premium for the Lazare name, I notied that some internet dealers can also overnight their diamonds, that may play some role in my decision also.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Why don''t you try Whiteflash? I am currently working with them on a smaller stone that I would like to purchase for a RHR. So far they have been very prompt in their response and they have a lot of ideal cut diamonds on their inventory. This is going to be my first internet purchase if it all works out. Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, yes, if you wire the money on Monday to WhiteFlash or Good Old Gold for an in-house stone, they''d overnight it on Tuesday and you could have it on Wednesday. Honestly, there''s no way I''d pay for the Lazarre name if you can get an equal or better stone online for less! Also, GIA H is certainly fine in white gold.

Here''s an ACA H SI1, 1.10 cts. for $6199 with wire and Pricescope discount:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/a-cut-above-h-a-cut-diamond-160981.htm

An H SI1, 1.15 cts., hearts and arrows, $6521 from Good Old Gold:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2291/

(Good Old Gold is actually closed on Monday, so you''d have to pay on Tuesday and get the stone probably on Thursday)

sly1200

Rough_Rock
I took a look at both those diamonds, I might give the WF one some more consideration.

Something else I have been thinking about, would anyone worry about putting an H color in a white gold setting? Does anyone happen to have a picture of an H set in white gold?

Again, thanks for all the help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are plenty of oeople here with J stones in white gold and platinum. But here is my H in white gold:

New Rings 045a.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2006 7:11:07 PM
Author: sly1200
I took a look at both those diamonds, I might give the WF one some more consideration.

Something else I have been thinking about, would anyone worry about putting an H color in a white gold setting? Does anyone happen to have a picture of an H set in white gold?

Again, thanks for all the help.
I really wouldn''t worry about an H at all. It will be fine in WG or platinum. Many here (mara/lynnb/jcrow and others come to mind if you want to look them up) who have lovely J stones that look pretty darn white to me in white metals.

sly1200

Rough_Rock
I have the GIA report number for the first diamond I have listed. Does anyone know if there is a way to access the report online? Otherwise I will have to wait until tomorrow to get the dimension on it.

Also, thanks for the photo and advice on the H color WG/platinum setting. I feel much more comfortable now.

sly1200

Rough_Rock
I went and looked at the diamond in the store today, here are the specs:
Lazare Ideal Cut Round Brilliant (GIA Report)
0.96 ct. H VS2
diameter: 6.30mm-6.36mm
Total Depth: 3.92mm 61.9%
table: 3.6mm 56.9%
ST: 55%
LH: 80%
crown: 35deg
pavillion: 41deg
polish: EX
symmetry: EX
Girdle: THN to STK, F
culet: very small (VSM)
Fluorescence: None

Price: $6540 + NYS tax (8%)

I think its a pretty fair deal, pretty rare size at 0.96ct. Looked beautiful. I wasn''t in love with the color, especially since the other one I was shown was an E. But as other have stated I''m sure an H will do just fine in WG/plat. All that is left is the setting...

I like the idea of a channel setting, 0.30 t.ct.wt.. They have a 18K WG with .3 carts for $1750, which seemed awful high, though it was "die struck". They recommended buying only high quality die struck because it is needed to secure a stone that size with that much invested into it.

There was a local custom jewler/designer, who had a 14K WG with .3ct. for around $700, but I was told it was "cast", and therefore inferior.

If anyone has any suggestions, or advice, on the difference between 14k & 18k WG and whether I should opt for a platinum or palladium, or perhaps wait until later for a future upgrade I would greatly appreciate it. Also, any feed back on the rock would be great!

sly1200

Rough_Rock
Here is a ling to the GIA
GIA GRADE REPORT

HCA gives it a rating of 2.4, with all ratings of very good. Any suggestions on how that compares for the price?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone specs look okay, although I think the price is a bit high for under a carat. But aside from that, I can''t believe what they told you about settings!!! Yes, die struck is nice, but that is absurd that it is the only way to secure a diamond that size and quality! $1750 sounds really high for 18k to me. And yes, I''d go with 18k over 14k, but you can likely do better on settings than this.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good finds Diamondseeker!

I think your best bet is to buy online ... the Lazare (though a rare size) is only a great deal if you're paying an under 1ct price for that rare size ... if you can get OVER a carat for less ... not to mention a better CUT stone & lower priced/high quality settings online TOO ...

You have to take a leap of faith though. Good news: return policies!

Also ... don't stress about color ... looking at a loose H NEXT to a loose E in usually yellowy jewelry store lights is VERY different than looking at an H by itself in a white gold setting in natural light ... which is how the ring will usually be viewed!
2.gif

ETA: Diamondseeker's find for you is a full .5 mm LARGER than the Lazare ... that's not chump change! That's a VERY noticable size difference! And better cut will make the "online" stone look EVEN LARGER.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results