shape
carat
color
clarity

engagement ring is TOO big- Should I resize or get a new ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PIPPI

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is too big. It is turning arounda nd around, however, it is tight enough to not slip off my knuckle. Should I get the ring resized? Does that require removing the diamond? How long does it take to fix? OR get a new setting (ring) that is the right size and just transfer my diamond? What is the best solution?

PIPPI

Rough_Rock
HELP!! ANYONE

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Get a pair of shots put in the shank. They are like little round balls that a jeweler can solder inside the shank that'll keep it from spinning and yet you'll be able to get it over your knuckle. This should be able to be done without removing the diamond. However if your ring is platinum, platinum requires alot of heat and depending on how close the diamond is to the flame it may require removal.

That is one of the best bets.

Rhino

Skybluewater

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/5/2002 11:42:28 PM Rhino wrote:

Get a pair of shots put in the shank. They are like little round balls that a jeweler can solder inside the shank that'll keep it from spinning and yet you'll be able to get it over your knuckle. This should be able to be done without removing the diamond. However if your ring is platinum, platinum requires alot of heat and depending on how close the diamond is to the flame it may require removal.

That is one of the best bets.

Rhino----------------

Rhino:

Are these shots something tht all jewelers should be familar with? As you know my 2B's ring is a bit too large, are shots something we should consider rather than resizing the ring? What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My friend got them on HEr ring, because she needed her ring resized half a size down. They thought it would be safer to put in the "sizing balls" as they called them, so she wouldn't have to have her ring cut and resoldered.

She thought they were irritating at first and 3 days later can't tell they are even on. I would suggest it for those with larger knuckles and those who want to resize a LITTLE smaller (1-.5 sizes)...

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

If a ring can be sized, it is usually the best solution.

I normally recommend sizing the ring except in the following situations.

The customer has an enlarged knuckle.

If there is a large knuckle to deal with , then I will suggest a solution such as the sizing balls mentioned or other solution depending on severity.

Another case where you may not want to resize is when there are diamonds all the way around the ring, or if there is a difficult pattern or combination of metals to deal with.

Skybluewater

Rough_Rock
Thanks Brian. In our case there are some small channel set diamonds on the top of the mounting but certainly not all the way around. The ring is probably a size or half-size too big.

DSCN0066.JPG

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Skybluewater,

It would be easy to size your ring down.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results