shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JStevens

Rough_Rock
So I''m in need of a little help.

I''ve done a lot of research on diamonds to help locate the "perfect" stone for my girlfriend''s ring. I even had one purchased from a local store, took it home, realized it didn''t look as good in the setting, and took it back. I''ve been searching around my area and have been unable to find something I''m completely sold on, so I''ve turned to the internet. I''ve got a few questions and then need options.

First the questions:
1) I really like some of WF''s designs (her mother, who is very close with, is going to have final approval) and their stones. I''m kind of leaning towards an ACA stone but I''ve noticed that all of them are rated by AGS while most of their other stones seem to be GIA. Why is this?
2) Along the same lines, all of their florescence’s are listed as negligible and have pointed culets. I was told by a few jewelers that I should be looking for none and none ideally. Is AGS negligible and pointed the same as GIA none?
3) What''s the difference between WF ACA and Blue Nile Signature?
4) Is two-month''s salary still the going trend?

Now the opinions:
My girlfriend is size 4/4.5. I have a budget of $5000 for the stone. I''m leaning towards an E, .7-.85, VS1 and above, with an ideal cut. I''ve seen an E VS1 .78 ACA on WF and I''m leaning towards this. What do you think? Is it going to be the appropriate size, are there better stones out there, and am I not thinking of something that I should be?

As you can tell, I''m pretty nervous about selecting the right stone. I am sure that she is going to say yes, we''ve addressed many of the "marital questions," and I just want to surprise her (which the friends of ours that I''ve told agree with). I know some of these questions may have been addressed in other threads, but I just want a little reassurance. I really appreciate your thoughts and time.

1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Not a round expert by any means... but you look like you need a bump.

SO... AGS is as reputable... if not more reputable than GIA... from what I understand their grading for Rounds is stricter than GIA's so an AGS 0 is going to be as good as it gets....

The flour. issue is well.. outdated. Some people consider it better to have no flour. but really its a matter of preference. I would advise you to go to Goodoldgold.com and read their diamond tutorial as it will answer many, if not all of your questions on this matter. Pointed culet is the same as none.

ACA is 'generally' considered much more desirable and better cut than BlueNile's signature. WF buys the diamonds rough, from what I understand, and cuts them themselves... truly signature... and then they send to AGS to get the diamonds that they consider the best graded. They are also, I believe, Hearts and Arrows diamonds comparable to "the finest cut diamonds in the world", Hearts on Fire. Having seen quite a few ACA's myself.... its my opinion that they DEFINITELY compare to HoF.

As for E VS1... I would encourage you to go to a GOOD jeweler with GOOD selction of GIA or AGS rounds and decide for yourself what color you want. Generally, as the ACA's are cut SO well... even an I or J will face up white....

I would comfortably advise you to look at GIA/ AGS Gs & Hs and and drop to clarity to at least VS2... you will be able to get your lady a larger diamond/ or a nicer setting with the money you save... and you unless you are REALLY color sensitive (and few people are) you won't be able to tell the difference between and E VS1 and an G VS2. But your wallet will.

ETA: Please be proactive and seach this site, Goodoldgold and the older posts for the AMAZING amount of information right at your finger tips... if you make the effort.... more people will respond because they will see you trying.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to put in my .02... when I was shopping, I wanted a E, VS1.... I ended up with a F, VS2. The F is still in the colorless range and VS2 is clean. You will save much $$$ if you just drop down a little. I was able to get the 1.5 that I wanted.

JStevens

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,

Thank you for your response. I apologize for asking what many of you may consider to be stupid questions.

So you know a little about my search so far: I''ve been to a few local jewelers in my area and seen around a dozen stones. I looked a a GIA EX cut E and F next to each other and thought I could discern a color difference, so that''s why I''m leaning towards E. I actually had a ring purchased (E, VS2, .78. GIA EX cut) and when they set the stone I was able to see the crystal finish that was present and returned the ring.

I found this site by accident. I looked through alot of the FAQs as well as a picture threads with smaller stoned rings on small fingers. I''ve seen a few questions in this part of the board like mine, but I just wanted to double check. The whole goal of this thread is to seek some reassurance, see if I''m not looking in the right places, and find other opinions. Additionally, while I did ask for opinions, I''m more concerned about the questions I asked in terms of the florescence and culet.

JStevens

Rough_Rock
Thank you both as well. I really appreciate any input.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Negligible fluorescence will not affect the diamond . . . I think it might even be the same as "none"
Also, pointed culet is the same as none, I believe . . .

It is just the different terminology used by the different appraisers.

Do you have the specs on the stone you bought? My diamond is from Whiteflash and I think we got a GREAT deal for what we got. I am not as color sensitive so only you can decide what color rating you want but I can say that noone I know can see a VS2 inclusion by eye . . .

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I personally think flourescence is neat and would love a stone with MORE flour. Mine has a little bit, but a little more would be even better. If you get a stone with flourescence it sometimes lowers the cost of the diamond, but it is all a matter of preference, as Gypsy said. If you get enough blue flourescence in your diamond it will get kind of a perriwinkle or light blue tint to it in the sunlight. Some jewelers might tell you that flourescence makes the diamond cloudy or oily looking, but it depends on the individual diamond. Hopefully a few of the ladies with flourescence in their diamonds will speak up on the board and tell you how great these stones can be.

*M*

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I recently decided on a strong blue fluor diamond for my e-ring and so I am biased because this diamond is BIG and BEAUTIFUL and best of all was a GREAT deal . . . but it isn''t for everyone, so you should decide for yourself about fluor. However, negligible fluor is NOT going to affect it like strong fluor does.

Here is a link to my most recent thread on blue fluor, it has a lot of pictures in it and very informative.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-calling-all-who-have-seen-a-strong-blue-fluor-diamond.55714/

JStevens

Rough_Rock
Hiker, thanks for the thread. If I was buying for myself, I think I would want something with florescence because I really did like some of those diamonds posted. However, I''m by for the gf and I don''t think she''d like it as much.

Anyone else have any thoughts. I''m really looking for some other opinions on my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results