shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rookie1981

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I''ve been poking around this site for some time and I am glad I stumbled upon it. Great information on here and I appreciate all the notes and buying tips.

I''m currently looking for a diamond for my girlfriend for her engagement ring. She has gone to a local B&M store to see what she likes, but she wants me to select the actual diamond and surprise her with it. Her preferences are:

Round shape, prefers quality over carat size, 0.75 ct min (she would probably really enjoy 1.0 ct but doesn''t want to make me feel like I have to get that size), in a Tiffany 4-prong setting. Ring size: 5

Here are my preferences: With all the information I''ve read on here, cut is by far my most important criteria (plus, I love the way the H&A look). I would love to find an AGS-0 or GIA-Ex, Ex. I thought color was the next important factor for me, but I went to the same store my g/f did and they showed me two diamonds - a 0.75 ct, E, SI1 and a 0.97 ct, H, SI1. In the diffuse light behind a plain white background, I had a difficult time seeing any difference. In fact, she placed the H under the light first and I mistook it for the E. Obviously, I want the diamond "eye-clean" so I would be fine with an SI1 in clarity. High side of the budget for diamond is roughly 6k-7k. With my difficulty in telling the color differences, I''m thinking now I could move down the color scale and get a larger diamond. Honestly, I would love to find something in the 1.0 to 1.25 ct. range and I''m trying to balance cut and color to allow me to maximize the size for my budget.

After all that background information, here are my questions:

1. Am I going against what my g/f wants if I move down in color or cut to get a larger diamond(in the 1.0-1.25 ct range) while staying within budget?

2. In the face up position and mounted in a Tiffany setting, how likely do you think the color difference between E and H will be noticed?

3. With my budget, what would you choose?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks for any help or guidance.

Best regards.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would ask your gf if she prefers quality or quantity. For myself personally, I would be happy with an H, but would want an excellent cut because that affects the brilliance of the stone.

kstrike155

Rough_Rock
1) Does your girlfriend actually know about diamonds, or does she just assume when she says "high quality" it means sparkly? If it''s the latter, don''t worry about making sure you get a perfect stone. I just went through the same thing with my girlfriend. You have to remember that she just wants something really beautiful, which a lot of diamonds are. She wants something she can show her friends and here''s how that always works:

The first thing her friends will notice is size. Sorry, there''s no way to get around it. :)
The second thing they will notice is how "sparkly" or beautiful it is.

You can easily satisfy both of these things, and get a very high-quality diamond in the process that both you and your girlfriend will be happy with.

2) In the setting, in a face-up position is the time you will notice the color difference the least. Also, when you get a really nice cut like an AGS000, or H&A, it tends to make the diamond appear whiter than the actual grade.

3) You can do a LOT with your type of budget, provided you''re looking to buy online. I just bought a 1.016, H, SI1, AGS000 for $4660 or so. I got it today, actually. I just found this stone on BN: 1.14, AGS000, F, SI1 For the record, if you order from Blue Nile online, you can go through FatWallet.com and get 3% cash back. That was an extra $140 for me. :)

I also found this: 1.01, AGS000, F, VS2
Disclaimer: I haven''t run these through HCA, so they could be duds. I was just going on the four basic C''s, symmetry, polish, and fluorescence. I didn''t take into account any angles.

If you didn''t notice the difference between and E and an H, you certainly won''t notice the difference between an E and an F.

Good luck! When you find a stone you like, post on the forums and ask about it, then call the company and have them put it on hold for you!

somegirl932

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 2:58:33 PM
Author: pregcurious
I would ask your gf if she prefers quality or quantity. For myself personally, I would be happy with an H, but would want an excellent cut because that affects the brilliance of the stone.

I agree with this. Also, you said she wanted .75 ct minimum, make sure there isn''t a maximum size she wants... in case she thought your budget implied like a maximum of 1ctorsomething. There exist women who wouldn''t want a huge stone for various reasons, but it sounds like you probably are still looking to stay in what her range would be.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi rookie!

What I would suggest initially once you see some diamonds you like, run them through the Holloway Cut Advisor here to see how they score ( aim for below 2) and also post the proportions here so we can take a look for you. I take it you prefer to buy from a brick and mortar store rather than online?

https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

Also don't be reliant on cut grades so much, AGS0 should be ok but GIA Excellent can vary as the criteria for diamonds to get the Ex grade is wide, and can allow for some less desirable proportion combos. So again the HCA is useful plus if you are in any doubt check here when you can.

Quality of the diamond - well this can depend. Unless you are positive your GF would prefer a colourless diamond of very high clarity, you could broaden the options by looking at F G or H colour and VS2 to SI1 clarity as you mention, if the cut is great then you will still have a gorgeous rock. If you think she would prefer to stick with colourless and higher clarity then fine, but make sure the cut is excellent as this is THE most important factor in giving you a beautiful rock.

Colour - usually any colour differences can be seen more readily with the diamonds unmounted, there might be some who could pick out the difference between E and H colour when the diamonds were mounted in a ring but equally there are those who would not be able to and any difference would be extremely subtle. An H colour ( GIA or AGS graded) is still a very white diamond and can be an excellent choice.

rookie1981

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the initial help.

kstrike - in all honesty, I think I know much more than my g/f does about diamonds mainly because I''ve spent a lot of time on here and researching diamonds. I imagine she just wants one that''s sparkly. Thanks for looking around for me too.

Lorelei - I don''t think she''ll be able to tell a colorless diamond from a G or an H. The reason I asked the color question is because our mutual friend just received her engagement ring and it was an E color and certified by EGL (if that makes any difference). I imagine both diamonds may find themselves next to each other at some time in the near future and if I did go with an G or an H, I don''t want to color to be glaring (which I didn''t think it would, but needed that positive reinforcement form the forum for comfort).

I found a couple stones on Whiteflash, GOG and James Allen. I''ll try to post the specs for those I found to get opinions on them later tonight.

I think I do prefer online for the selection and price. Any concerns I should have with the vendors above? PS opinions seem to be high on all three of these.

Thanks! Off to see the girlfriend!
1.gif

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 7:26:28 PM
Author: rookie1981

The reason I asked the color question is because our mutual friend just received her engagement ring and it was an E color and certified by EGL (if that makes any difference). I imagine both diamonds may find themselves next to each other at some time in the near future and if I did go with an G or an H, I don''t want to color to be glaring (which I didn''t think it would, but needed that positive reinforcement form the forum for comfort).
Too funny! EGL is known to be soft on grading, so honestly, a G or H AGS0 or GIA diamond is not going to suffer in comparison by any means. The color will not even be remotely "glaring." I often compare my D color ring vs. G color earrings (both AGS0), and honestly, while I think there is a small difference in certain lights (and keeping in mind that the ring diamond is larger than the earring diamonds), in some lights, you can''t see the difference at all face up.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2009 11:17:56 PM
Author: Gypsy
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=491

You can get that diamond through Highperformancediamonds (Wink is great), or I believe through any other infinity dealer. Dimend Scaasi, an Infinity Dealer, has this STUNNING setting ... 4 prongs like your lady wanted. This pairing would be my choice.

http://www.dimendscaasi.com/build/step1.asp?prodID=1-2

OMG I
30.gif
that setting! I think I like it more than a leon mege solitaire!

*threadjack over*

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think you''d be going against what your GF wants at all.. I think she''d be pleasantly surprised with a larger diamond.. and it''s pretty unlikely that she''ll be able to tell the color difference when the stone is set - especially if you''re going with an ideal cut stone!

Go with the larger stone in a "lower" color!

Like ksrike155 said - first the size will be noticed.. then the sparkle!

rookie1981

Rough_Rock
Again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Swingirl- the stone you selected was one I found on Whiteflash that I also really liked. Anybody else have any thoughts on that diamond?

Taking a step down in cut grade, I found this one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round/Round-cut-diamond-2012724.htm

The question I have with this diamond is the date of certification - June 2007. Does this mean someone traded it in? Why would this date be two years ago?

Here''s an AGS-0 from James Allen that caught my eye:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1218723.asp

As far as the setting goes, I know Whiteflash has an 18k white gold w/platinum head. How will this ring age? Will it look like two different metals as time passes?

Any and all comments on these diamonds and settings are welcome! Thanks and goodnight!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 11:26:21 PM
Author: shimmer
Date: 3/18/2009 11:17:56 PM

Author: Gypsy

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=491

You can get that diamond through Highperformancediamonds (Wink is great), or I believe through any other infinity dealer. Dimend Scaasi, an Infinity Dealer, has this STUNNING setting ... 4 prongs like your lady wanted. This pairing would be my choice.

http://www.dimendscaasi.com/build/step1.asp?prodID=1-2

OMG I
30.gif
that setting! I think I like it more than a leon mege solitaire!

*threadjack over*

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and was like... OMG that is so freaking beautiful!

The fact that you can stick an infinity in it... wooooooooooohoooooooooooooo.

I really think my next diamond purchase is going to have to be an Infinity. I''ve been dying for one of those since I say swingirl''s Infinity pendant.

*threadjack over*

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
The stones from WF, JA and High Performance are all good. Depending on what you want to spend any one would make a nice choice. The ACA's are gorgeous and the Infinity stones (High Performance) and quite beautiful! If you are between the 2 from WF I'd call and ask them to compare the 2. The ACA is a better cut but the 1.21ct is obviously the largest. If your girlfriend has a size 5 finger a 1 ct is quite respectable in which case you might want to go for the smaller size but better cut.

Personally, I'd go for the High Performance 1.02ct Gypsy found because it's a gorgeous stone and come's in a little below your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results