shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help Please!

MOLiving

Rough_Rock
I am looking to buy an engagement ring. My budget is around 30 K. I am new to buying diamonds so would appreciate any help from you guys/gals. I am looking for a diamond with the following characteristics:
- Color: D-E-F
- Clarity: VS2 and above
- Cut: excellent
- Carat: 2
- Fluorescence: none

I don't really understand much about table, depth, symmetry etc

I am planning to put the diamond on a 6 prong platinum or white gold simple ring.

What do you guys/gals think of this diamond? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-14898239

Here are other options on the James Allen website: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...=1.9&CaratTo=2.4&Polish=EX&Lab=GIA&Flour=None

Appreciate any input before I make this huge buy.

Last edited:

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Also, is D-E-F a must? If you find an extremely well cut G or even H, you may find that there isn’t a noticeable tint (especially once set) and it would save you money or even allow you to go up in size or clarity.

6B2928F0-5E2F-4C7F-A8C2-CCB3FE8D075C.jpeg

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I am looking to buy an engagement ring. My budget is around 30 K. I am new to buying diamonds so would appreciate any help from you guys/gals. I am looking for a diamond with the following characteristics:
- Color: D-E-F
- Clarity: VS2 and above
- Cut: excellent
- Carat: 2
- Fluorescence: none

I don't really understand much about table, depth, symmetry etc

I am planning to put the diamond on a 6 prong platinum or white gold simple ring.

What do you guys/gals think of this diamond? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-14898239

Here are other options on the James Allen website: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...=1.9&CaratTo=2.4&Polish=EX&Lab=GIA&Flour=None

Appreciate any input before I make this huge buy.
I would suggest searching in the diamond search engine on this website and limit HCA score to “excellent” and post what you find. Those who are more experienced can help you narrow those down. I don’t think the first one you posted would be recommended, but for some reason I’m not able to find it when I search for ACA score by GIA report number.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a super ideal cut diamond from Whiteflash. With the wire price, it is a bit over your budget. Check out the images and videos of the diamond and compare them to the ones you have posted. You will see there is a considerable difference. Many here, including myself, have purchased diamonds from Whiteflash.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond you posted is not one we'd recommend.

If you're open to another vendor, Whiteflash has super ideal cut diamonds which are cut with more precision and have superior light performance to any James Allen stones. They also have one of the most generous upgrade policies in the industry.

In addition to the diamond MissGotRocks recommended, here are a few more suggestions.

A better cut diamond will also face up whiter than a poorly cut one, as RetroQT mentioned.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you are for some reason wed to JA this stone seems to fall within your parameters and had good proportions but I'd ask about the "additional clouds not shown"

MOLiving

Rough_Rock
if you are for some reason wed to JA this stone seems to fall within your parameters and had good proportions but I'd ask about the "additional clouds not shown"

Lookinagain I am not wedded to JA. I just found their website easy to use. The diamond you suggested falls within my parameters. Does anybody else have any opinions on this diamond? https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-15756971?a_aid=ps

MOLiving

Rough_Rock
So I looked using the search tool on this website and limited to excellent HCA score. I only found 2 inhouse diamonds and 30 virtual diamonds of which I selected a few for people on this site to review for me and give their opinions.

So for In-House:

This is what I picked from Virtual:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I looked using the search tool on this website and limited to excellent HCA score. I only found 2 inhouse diamonds and 30 virtual diamonds of which I selected a few for people on this site to review for me and give their opinions.

So for In-House:

This is what I picked from Virtual:

My favorites are the 2.20 G VS1 and the 2.00 F VS1.

Are you not interested in any of the super ideal cut diamonds from Whiteflash?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The nice thing about the Super Ideal cuts (ACAs)...well, are mostly the cut. H&As with Ideal light return (AGS000) with Ideal
scope and Aset images that prove their cut quality.

But...ACAs also have 100% trade-in value with just spending more than it cost (JA is 2X original cost). So, say 5 or 10 years later
you/she may want to upgrade to a bigger size... it's very easy with a Super Ideal. I've done it myself (as well as many other Pricescopers.)

MOLiving

Rough_Rock
My favorites are the 2.20 G VS1 and the 2.00 F VS1.

Are you not interested in any of the super ideal cut diamonds from Whiteflash?

Well these are some A Cut Above from WhiteFlash. From what I am understanding from you guys/gals, WhiteFlash is preferred because I can upgrade in the future, 30 day returns accepted, and can get 70% back within a year if it's a diamond that is "in stock?"

This is a huge purchase. I don't want to spend all that money and regret it. I appreciate all the help. Thank you

MOLiving

Rough_Rock
Two separate questions.

1. Does it matter that they're all AGS certified diamonds from Whiteflash and not the more common GIA?

2. For engagement rings, I am looking for an HCA score between 1.0-2.0. Why is that?

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Two separate questions.

1. Does it matter that they're all AGS certified diamonds from Whiteflash and not the more common GIA?

2. For engagement rings, I am looking for an HCA score between 1.0-2.0. Why is that?

The simple non-pro answer to these is

1. AGS is more strict on the cut and light performance grading than GIA. AGS 000 would always get GIA 3X, but not all GIA 3x diamonds would score AGS000. In short: AGS is a better grading system for the most important of the 4C's (cut)

2. HCA is a screening tool to rule out diamonds that definitely don't have good proportions (i.e. don't even bother looking at them). Diamonds that fall within the OK range of the HCA are worth investigating further, usually with optical tools (ASET, ideal scope). Evaluating these tools requires some skill and knowledge....or an army of PSers to help you, which you now have.

If you buy a super ideal cut (eg. ACA from Whiteflash (WF), Brian Gavin, BGD, etc) then those companies and their experts have already gone through all these screening processes and tests for you to only have the best of the best cuts available. There is a price premium associated with this, but you're guaranteed something without having to do all the research and sift through diamonds on your own and hope you got a good one :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to emmy12's post, diamonds scoring under 2 or even 2.5 are worth further consideration. The HCA's note about stones scoring under 1 being better for pendants and earrings is sometimes outdated, and with the more recent updates to the HCA, many stones scoring under 1 are just fine for a ring.

MOLiving

Rough_Rock
Well these are some A Cut Above from WhiteFlash. From what I am understanding from you guys/gals, WhiteFlash is preferred because I can upgrade in the future, 30 day returns accepted, and can get 70% back within a year if it's a diamond that is "in stock?"

This is a huge purchase. I don't want to spend all that money and regret it. I appreciate all the help. Thank you

Can anybody comment on these diamonds form Whiteflash with regards to which they would recommend please?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
You can’t go wrong with any of these. I would pick 3 of the 4 and ask WF to take side by side pics to help you choose your favorite.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anybody comment on these diamonds form Whiteflash with regards to which they would recommend please?

I am glad with your budget that you are looking at the finest cut diamonds! I would lean toward the 2.09 F VS2 primarily due to the size and higher color.

As far as the G stones go, I would ask them to line them up and choose the highest color G that is totally eye clean (which all should be).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results