shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring help please?? Can't decide!

sarainthecity

Rough_Rock
Hi there lovely price scopers,

diamond newbie here! :wavey: I was wondering if anyone could help me decide on a couple of engagement ring options.

The boyfriend & I are set to be engaged very soon and we've decided to pick out the ring together as he wants me to be happy with it (sweet man!). We went to Tiffany's on the weekend to look at a few styles and I definitely know I want a T&CO ring. I know the ongoing debate on here about how you can get more bang for your buck somewhere else, etc etc but I am set on T&CO - Most of my other (non-diamond) jewelry comes from here and I've always been in love with T&CO styles.

Anyways, I've narrowed it down to 2 styles - the classic Tiffany setting & the Tiffany Embrace. Our budget is around 16-18k, and I'm not sure which is the best option to go with. I know on the T&CO website the embrace is listed as a higher price (due to the RB cut?) so if I go with that option, I'll have to compromise on carat size. Ideally I'd love a 1.5 size with the RB setting but I know that's beyond our budget - however, it might be an ideal option for the classic Tiffany setting.

What do you guys think? Which one should I go with? What would be the ideal specs to go with on these settings? Any and all opinions welcome!

Tiffany-Co.-Tiffany-Embrace.png tiffany-engagement-ring.jpg

Rebekah77877

Rough_Rock
I know nothing about diamonds.....but the first one is AMAZING....it is so pretty!! Just on looks alone I would go for that one :)

sarainthecity

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Leaning towards that one too... Just wondering if it'll look good with a 1 ct weight! :confused:

Although I have always wanted the Tiffany solitaire, if I had to choose based on the photos, I just might go with the first one. It just sings to me. I can't stop staring at it, it's commanding all of my attention and I think it would look beautiful with with a 1 carat round.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I've always wanted the tiffany six prong setting before until I tried it on. I don't like the knife edge they have... maybe because of the size was too big, but it felt very uncomfortable. If you want the center stone to look bigger then the halo setting is probably a good one to go with...

sarainthecity

Rough_Rock
I had the same problem when I tried it on! but the lady assured me that the knife edge would feel more comfortable once I had the right size. I didn't try the Embrace on, but the band looks flatter than the solitaire.

Thanks for your input!

Miss_GG

Rough_Rock
Really depends on what look you prefer, I guess the solitaire will always be timeless but the halo is also stunning... does your bf have any preference?

sarainthecity

Rough_Rock
Miss_GG|1308806771|2952666 said:
Really depends on what look you prefer, I guess the solitaire will always be timeless but the halo is also stunning... does your bf have any preference?

Thank you! He liked the solitaire however I didn't try the embrace on when we were at the store. It only came to my attention after reading a few posts on here & falling in love with the halo setting

Miss_GG

Rough_Rock
Def go try the Embrace on then :) see how it looks/feels on you. Not that I am engaged yet but i was set on always having a cushion cut diamond and i went to try one on a while back and it looked horrible on - and I am now set on the RB (although bf wont let me have any say on the setting as he wants it to be a surprise - eeekkk lol) but since falling in love with RBs I love the halo setting and can just suggest to try it on and see if that helps you make your decision... such an exciting time for you!

HollyRF

Rough_Rock
Oh! You definitely need to try the Embrace on in the store. I didn't think I liked halos at all until the SA suggested I try it. It simply looks amazing! My BF purchased an .82 and seriously, it looks like a carat. And from the rings I looked at, you could definitely get larger than a carat for $16-18K. Our budget was $10-11K, and while we could have probably afforded a slightly larger stone, there just weren't many .9's in stock. They only had 2 or 3, which was kind of frustrating. When I compared a .91 and the .82 during one visit, my friend and I totally couldn't tell a difference – with all the sparkly small diamonds around the center stone, it's hard to get a good grasp on the true size.

So, go try it on! You will fall in love, I promise!

Oh, and one side note: My Tiffany SA told me the prices on their engagement rings are going up "significantly" on June 29. I think around 10 percent. Though I saw someone else on this board say June 26... So if you are serious about getting a Tiffany ring, I would ask your SA and act fast!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd say to try on the embrace and see what you think. It really is a very beautiful setting. If your heart sings when you try it on you'll know it's the right one.

that said, there is nothing more timeless and classic than the Tiffany solitaire. You have so many more options to mix and match bands if you want too. Diamondseeker wears a leon Mege solitaire with a Tiffany legacy band and it just so classic and gorgeous. Here center stone is 1.6 for reference. Here is a picture:

file.jpg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-andrey-leon-jonathan-and-tiffany.80475/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-andrey-leon-jonathan-and-tiffany.80475/[/URL]

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I've tried both of them at the store. And even though both of them are not the right size, embrace certainly feels alot more comfortable.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the embrace. If you ate worried about the size of your diamond the halo will make it look bigger.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
also someone said that tiffany's e-ring & wedding band price will go up by 10% somewhere around this month, so probably should ask the sales person and make decision before then...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrssalvo|1308831553|2952801 said:
I'd say to try on the embrace and see what you think. It really is a very beautiful setting. If your heart sings when you try it on you'll know it's the right one.

that said, there is nothing more timeless and classic than the Tiffany solitaire. You have so many more options to mix and match bands if you want too. Diamondseeker wears a leon Mege solitaire with a Tiffany legacy band and it just so classic and gorgeous. Here center stone is 1.6 for reference. Here is a picture:

file.jpg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-andrey-leon-jonathan-and-tiffany.80475/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thank-you-andrey-leon-jonathan-and-tiffany.80475/[/URL]
yup!! many different ring styles come and go,but a classic Tiff solitaire will still be in style 100 yrs from now.

sarainthecity

Rough_Rock
minmin001|1308846386|2952972 said:
also someone said that tiffany's e-ring & wedding band price will go up by 10% somewhere around this month, so probably should ask the sales person and make decision before then...

oooh, thanks everybody for the heads up on this! We are going tomorrow to check out both and I'll make my decision then :appl:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! :love: Just food for thought, but I've started noticing alot of diamond halo ring gaurds out there lately too. It may be an option for you, You could have the T&Co solitaire and then buy a guard hence making the solitaire look like a halo, and then have a plain band, or eternity band that you could wear with either. Just think of the all the options, people will think that you have multiple diamond rings! :love:

Miss_GG

Rough_Rock
sarainthecity|1308869714|2953428 said:
minmin001|1308846386|2952972 said:

oooh, thanks everybody for the heads up on this! We are going tomorrow to check out both and I'll make my decision then :appl:

How did you go at T & Co today?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, MrsS for posting my rings! As you might guess, I would choose the larger diamond solitaire and go for a diamond wedding band!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
sarainthecity|1308801829|2952635 said:
I know on the T&CO website the embrace is listed as a higher price (due to the RB cut?)

I think the Embrace costs more because of the pave diamonds. You can get the round brilliant in either style.

Now my opinion on picking engagement rings to fit with wedding bands (take it for what its worth), I'm a stickler for making sure the total look of the e-ring and wedding band is satisfactory. Hopefully, you'll be married a lot longer than you're engaged. :bigsmile: So I'd highly recommend at least picking out your preferred wedding band while you're shopping for your engagement ring, even if you don't want to buy the wedding band immediately. However, I draw the line at choosing an engagement ring style I am not totally satisfied with just in order to be able to match the largest variety of wedding bands. For that, I would need to be open to changing up the look of my engagement ring/wedding band combination later and for me, that is not an option.

If you're not interested in the option of changing things up later, I'd say just get the engagement ring/wedding band combination you know you're going to like now. The ability to later change up the look really only applies if you want to keep that option open from the time of your original purchase and it has its drawbacks of encouraging you to settle for something you are not quite fully satisfied with now.

DiamondsOnly

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for the solitaire. :). Its classic and timeless and if I were to have the halo and lose a diamond I'd be a mess. Love the solitaire. :).

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Halos don't cause you to lose a diamond?

Diamonds on the shank, however, may. Channel-set is the most secure but the Embrace contains bead-set, which I think is less secure than channel-set on the shank, not the halo.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I would go with the solitaire so you can get the 1.50 :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results