shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring help - Melbourne/australia

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I've had this account for 5 years but this is my first post! Mainly just lots of stalking and drooling.

Would appreciate if anyone could help. My partner and I are looking to get engaged. I'm not sure if I'm better off purchasing a loose stone from overseas or working with a local jeweller (not sure who would be good in Melbourne/Aus?) I'm looking for a round Brilliant with a pretty simple setting in mind. Would love to get 2cts (bigger if I can!), no lower than a g colour, vs2. Would love to spend under aud 20k and as we're also looking to buy a house but can go a little bit over.

Would love any suggestions of jewellers who will work with me on the right stone and a custom setting or any views if its better to go overseas. Happy to travel to Syd, Brisbane etc if there are any good suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi from Sydney. Buying a diamond from the US with the help of the experts here is a good idea if you want a loose diamond. The selection here in Australia is much much less. However, you are going to be paying GST at 10%, lose about 2% or a little more on the exchange rate (all financial institutions take a commission on foreign currency exchange) you'll get a better rate for a international bank transfer than say Paypal or Visa. Customs processing is about $60 plus you want insured shipping add $100 or so. Having a ring made from scratch is expensive, easily $4,000. If you want just a simple claw solitaire setting, that's much much cheaper.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Gloria123!! How exciting :appl: as for whether to buy here in Aus or the US, I guess it depends on what style of ring and diamond you're after and there are others on here who are waaaay more experienced than me - hopefully arkieb will pop in soon and can offer some advice. I live in Aus and have just bought a diamond from GOG in the States and they were really wonderful to deal with, a very easy transaction and a truly stunning diamond (AVC). I'm having it set with Studio Ingot in Melbourne. They made my e'ring and wedding band and the quality of both is fantastic. They have made a few things for me and I've always been really happy with their workmanship. Not sure that I was any help at all, but there will be others here who can offer more experience/advice - good luck, I can't wait to see what you choose. :wavey:

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
Thanks both for your replies. I think I'm leaning towards buying to stone from overseas. I'll have a look into studio ingot!

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
On the exchange rate - I found Transferwise to be the best foreign exchange trader for what I wanted - about $200 cheaper than OFX. And you can pay as a purchase from some credit cards:
http://www.pointhacks.com.au/foreign-currency-transferwise-guide/

I ended up purchasing from Old World Diamonds, but the amazing posters here will be able to guide you in the right direction for the stone and setting you want.

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
I have a friend in the US who could purchase it for me. Not sure if this makes a difference?

Timm

Rough_Rock
Congrats! I'm a fellow newbie here and I look forward to hearing all the suggestions and ideas that are coming your way and hopefully get a little bit of inspiration for myself.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile has an Aussie branch now;

http://www.bluenile.com/au/

Gary, the guy that invented the HCA tool from here has a store in Melbourne, Garry Holloway;

http://www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au/

And Jorgia over in Perth have found a couple of great stones for people as well;

https://www.jogiadiamonds.com.au/

There is a place in Sydney I've never dealt with that a couple of posters have mentioned which you might find if you do a search that is supposed to be O.K.

Other than that;

www.victorcanera.com

www.jamesallen.com

www.bluenile.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.goodoldgold.com

And if you are after preloved which is a great way to find a bargain or antique diamonds;

www.jewelsbygrace.com

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/

If you purchase from the US ask the vendor to fill in the correct AUSTFA agreement forms that way you pay 10% rather than 15% taxes and duties.

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1478069764|4092875 said:
Blue Nile has an Aussie branch now;

http://www.bluenile.com/au/

Gary, the guy that invented the HCA tool from here has a store in Melbourne, Garry Holloway;

http://www.hollowaydiamonds.com.au/

And Jorgia over in Perth have found a couple of great stones for people as well;

https://www.jogiadiamonds.com.au/

There is a place in Sydney I've never dealt with that a couple of posters have mentioned which you might find if you do a search that is supposed to be O.K.

Other than that;

www.victorcanera.com

www.jamesallen.com

www.bluenile.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.goodoldgold.com

And if you are after preloved which is a great way to find a bargain or antique diamonds;

www.jewelsbygrace.com

http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com/

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/

If you purchase from the US ask the vendor to fill in the correct AUSTFA agreement forms that way you pay 10% rather than 15% taxes and duties.

Wow this is amazing! Thank you I have heaps of research to do!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the best way is to compare what is on offer, work out which is going to be the best stone you can buy including working out the exchange rate and any GST you have to pay + shipping and handling fees and go from there. All of the vendors on that list are trusted people who you should have no issues with.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Gloria123|1478036884|4092753 said:
I have a friend in the US who could purchase it for me. Not sure if this makes a difference?

Presumably you would have to get your money into USD somehow? Unless that person has both Aussie & US bank accounts. I dunno. Either way, transferwise can be used for personal and business transfers so worth doing a comparison if you do need to transfer $.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a exciting journey for yo!

I live in Europe and have worked with jeweller Alistair Kelsey several times. He is a great jeweller to work with. I am doing all my comunication with him via email.

He has a website and Facebook where you can see examples of his work. There also is an Alistair Kelsey thread with examples of his work, but it contains mostly right hand rings: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-alistair-kelsey-collection.218921/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-alistair-kelsey-collection.218921/[/URL]

img_13314.jpg

img_13315.jpg

img_13316.jpg

img_13317.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some more designs.
What kind of design are you looking for for your e-ring?

img_13318.jpg

img_13319.jpg

img_13320.jpg

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
Acinom|1478095830|4092929 said:
Some more designs.
What kind of design are you looking for for your e-ring?
Your ring is beautiful! I'm just wanting a 4 prong setting that sits in a diamond basket around the centre stone And a v step pace in the band. Set in platinum.

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
totallyfree|1478076660|4092893 said:
Gloria123|1478036884|4092753 said:

Presumably you would have to get your money into USD somehow? Unless that person has both Aussie & US bank accounts. I dunno. Either way, transferwise can be used for personal and business transfers so worth doing a comparison if you do need to transfer $.
Yes they have an Aussie and us bank account.

Wyer

Rough_Rock
I'm from Sydney and personally decided to make the purchase via GOG rather than locally.

The selection here isn't that amazing and the costings are roughly the same - the difference is I should be getting a really great performing stone from Jon, the only downside is I can't see it in person.

SeekingClarity

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gloria123,

I just recently got engaged (pics/info to come) and worked with both Victor Canera (for the stone) and Alistair Kelsey (for the setting) thanks to the recommendations of members on here. Alistair did an amazing job, but one of the key (and also unexpected) points for me was that his insurance would cover setting an outside stone. He was reasonably priced and was incredibly easy to work with (via phone/email). Lastly, he also hand-forges all his pieces, which was one reason I had initially started going down the VC route.

Cheers,
SC

McLaren

Shiny_Rock
If you're looking at a RB diamond, I think you'd be very lucky to find around 2cts G VS for less than 20kAU.
You're looking more at a 1.6ct if you have that budget taking into consideration the customs and taxes incurred on import.
Depending on your priorities (Size or colour) I would suggest working with someone who can hand select your stone, and help you find good specs for your budget.

I have just bought a diamond from the states (I'm in sydney) and am having it sent back to be set with CvB as I couldn't find a jeweller over here that could create what I wanted.

Have fun searching! You'll get addicted :)

Gloria123

Rough_Rock
SeekingClarity|1478413463|4094391 said:
Hi Gloria123,

I just recently got engaged (pics/info to come) and worked with both Victor Canera (for the stone) and Alistair Kelsey (for the setting) thanks to the recommendations of members on here. Alistair did an amazing job, but one of the key (and also unexpected) points for me was that his insurance would cover setting an outside stone. He was reasonably priced and was incredibly easy to work with (via phone/email). Lastly, he also hand-forges all his pieces, which was one reason I had initially started going down the VC route.

Cheers,
SC

Thank you! Does Alistair have a website? All I could find was a Facebook page and I don't have Facebook!

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’m in Melbourne as well. I bought my diamond from Brian Gavin and had it set by Holloway. I’d definitely recommend buying a diamond online - you will get a much better diamond for cheaper than what is available here. As for the setting - I think that is up to you. If your diamond vendor has a setting you like I would go with that as it is easier to have it all done in the same place, and again likely cheaper than getting it done here. If you find a setting locally that you really like as I did just keep in mind the risk of not being covered if they chip the stone when setting it. Good luck!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Alistair Kelsey is by far my fav jewelry designer and he's in Australia. His work is stunning everytime

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thread resurrected from the dead :mrgreen:

frados

Rough_Rock
I’m in Melbourne as well. I bought my diamond from Brian Gavin and had it set by Holloway. I’d definitely recommend buying a diamond online - you will get a much better diamond for cheaper than what is available here. As for the setting - I think that is up to you. If your diamond vendor has a setting you like I would go with that as it is easier to have it all done in the same place, and again likely cheaper than getting it done here. If you find a setting locally that you really like as I did just keep in mind the risk of not being covered if they chip the stone when setting it. Good luck!

Hi Ratatat or others,

Hope all is well - I'm from Melbourne and looking to get a loose stone from overseas, possibly stone and setting for an engagement ring.

I've noticed alot of comments here suggesting it is potentially better to get the stone set overseas. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't having the stone set overseas attracts the added 5% duty? I'm looking to spend about 13k AUD on a stone so this could potentially add another 700 to the total cost.

Out of interest, what are people being quoted to get this done locally? I'm assuming its easy enough to get a local vendor to do ongoing maintenance if the stone is purchased overseas.

As I understand it is also potentially difficult to get someone to set the stone locally and there is the risk of them damaged it uninsured?

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
frados - that thread is more than FIVE years old. Please just start your own/a new thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results