clarity

Engagement ring from Macy's

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
1) Certified by whom???
2) I2-I3 means very visible inclusions
3) The center is not 1 ct - all together it's 1 ctw
4) You can get something under $2k that is much nicer from other online vendors.
5) You really just want to get whatever ring they send you?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This ring from Macy's gets really great reviews. Is there any reason why buying a diamond at Macy's is a bad idea. This is more or less what I am looking for in a stone. Thanks for any suggestions.

Inclusions can not only interfere with the sparkles a diamond gives off, but it can have issues with durability. An I3 is the lowest clarity possible.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
There are some great educational materials here for starting purchases. In sum, you have no idea what you are really getting. That ring is not certified by a lab I would trust, GIA or AGS, and the stats are just a range. You have no idea of knowing if what you are getting is what fair. The cut is the most important thing and there is no way to measure that.

You would be much better off buying a very well cut diamond that's slightly smaller that is a sparkler than a poorly cut stone with low clarity, which is what you will be getting.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Here is a not horrible I2 by a great vendor. This is a good looking one, in some ways, as the inclusions aren't black. The Macy's ring could have visible black carbon inclusions.

Ivy and Rose is a vendor with some rings in your budget and you can see pictures of the actual stones. I would spend my $1500 to $1700 there or at Diamonds by Lauren, rather than Macy's.

Also, ID Jewelry in the NYC diamond district is reputable. You can give your budget and tell them you would like the nicest eye clean diamond options they'd recommend in a solitaire setting your budget can get, with anything up to a j color, prioritizing the size. Below a J, you may see some color tint. The Macy's stone would grade below a J in almost all certainty, but up to a J is safe.

Last edited:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Do a quick image search on an i3 diamond,

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This ring from Macy's gets really great reviews. Is there any reason why buying a diamond at Macy's is a bad idea. This is more or less what I am looking for in a stone. Thanks for any suggestions.

Willing to wager that this diamond will look like frozen spit and likely be visibly included. You can get so much more for your money.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Try to look up real life pictures of what I3 clarity looks like. It will not look like much of a diamond in a real sense. It will have no sparkle, no life, no fire. I would say, see it in person.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might also consider a lab-created diamond. They are real diamonds but created in a lab with either high temp/high pressure or by chemical
vapor disposition. They are not a bad option for someone who wants a larger stone but an earth-mined diamond (a nice well-cut one) is not in
the budget. We have a forum where you can go see some of the rings created.

Another possible option in an Oval shaped diamond that faces up bigger for its carat weight.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/0.59-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-9233105 $1260
in one of this setting
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...nife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-7115 $240
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...ld-presentation-solitaire-six-prong-item-7990 $240

I also second that stone that @Mekp posted.

Either of these stones would provide nice finger coverage. They would be beautiful and something you/she could be proud of. Do not waste your
money on a poorly cut I3 stone! There are better options for the same amount of money.
Here's how the round and oval would look on a size 6 finger.
Capture.PNG

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
"Almost all gemstones have been treated to enhance their beauty and require special care."

I copied the quote above from the body copy of the ad.

Google "enhanced" diamonds.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When buying a ring online from vendors like Macy’s you get whatever ring and whatever diamond.
The online photo looks nice BUT that’s not the actual ring you are buying.
the carat weight is “total”, the center diamond is only .75 or 3/4 of a carat. Not 1 carat.
the color of the diamond is low, it will be yellowish.
worse, the clarity is I2 / 13. There isn’t anything lower or worse than I 3. And Macy’s sells clarity enhanced diamonds, that’s low quality diamonds so full of flaws that they’ve “laser drilled and filled them” to make them look better.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As another option, coming in at $2,109 (without taxes)

this diamond , 0.70ct I-VS1, Blue Nile SKU LD13995168 ($1,769)
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

and this classic solitaire setting, a 4-prong basket with 2mm shank, Blue Nile SKU 19788 ($250 in 14kt White Gold)
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/solitaire-engagement-ring-white-gold_19788

This diamond will be beautiful, clean and crisp, with a lively performance and face up about 5.7mm, basically a 3/4 carat diamond. The solitaire is slim and elegant, and any wedding band will pair up great with it.

eta: I forgot to provide my input as the Macy's ring ... my vote is no, don't buy it. I get what you're saying in terms of the look, about a 3/4 carat diamond in a solitaire setting, but I strongly recommend against buying the Macy's ring as it will not be a well-cut diamond, and the tiny diamonds in the setting will also be dull. You and your partner would be looking at the ring and wondering why it doesn't sparkle and flash.

If you don't like the options already suggested, let us know your budget and preferences and PSers will look around for well-cut diamonds that fit your prereqs.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can do far better in terms of diamond quality. I would definitely not purchase that ring. Look at some of the options presented to you and look at this one:

This diamond is just about the same size as the center stone you are looking to purchase and this diamond is a few hundred more than the Macy's ring. However, this diamond is one of the finest cut diamonds you can buy and would blow the Macy's ring out of the water. Click on the diamond and look at the wire price. Then click on the diamond with the arrow so that you can see it in video.

Last edited:

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
So, my engagement ring from my first husband was from a department store, ordered online. According to Kay it was a "nice little stone." According to them, who are so-so. I got lucky. Period.

I also have diamond melee jewelry from Macy's, and they are grey and cloudy.

The engagement ring I have now has little melee diamonds on the side that are very well cut and I can tell you that one little 1.2mm diamond will outshine and out sparkle my 1/4ct marquise I got from a department store in all lighting.

You don't have to get the super ideals, but definitely make sure the cut is good. All of these fine people gave you some much better options to fit your budget.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
55% off is not good. Make sure it is at least 70%.

Tippytoes

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'd like to go up in carat a bit. If someone could recommend something closer to .9 ct. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Last edited:

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I'd like to go up in carat a bit. If someone could recommend something closer to .9 ct. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

What is your max budget?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto...what is your budget?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And please specify if the budget is for the stone alone or combined with a setting.

Also please specify what metal and type of setting you have in mind, e.g. platinum or 14/18K white gold, simple solitaire etc...

DK :))

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
I see you are looking for around 1ct center.

The Macy's stone is only around .75ct, the rest is in side stones. So when you see "t.w" or "t.c.w" it is "total weight" and "total carat weight" respectively.

It always means that the carat weight is split between 2 or more stones. You will have to look at the description to see what the carat weight is for the "main" or "center" stone is.

Also with department stores such as these and Kay's, Jared's, etc, online orders, all their generic pieces can be in a range. Like a "3/4ct" diamond could be .7-.78 not exactly the .75 stated. So you could get lucky and get bigger, but I suspect that is rare. I'll post the diamond stat insert I got from my ex's ring. I suspect you'd get something very similar with the Macy's ring. 15963018682856907860201425306137.jpg

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock

If you're open to lab diamonds, you may want to consider resetting a Lightbox diamond pendant into a ring. Probably would be around $1500 or less in total for a 1ct with very good/excellent cut, G-J color, and VS clarity.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
A lab diamond will definitely let you increase the size, but i would only go that route if you are 100% sure she would be ok with that. Also, if you thibk she may want to upgrade in the future a lab diamond may not give you many options.

Speaking of upgrades in the future, if you have a tight budget, perhaps that is something you want to plan on. Get a nice 0.7 - 0.8 ct now and in a few years upgrade in size.

Obscura

Shiny_Rock
Here is the description on the Macy's ring. I highlighted the important bits. 20200801_104906.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results