shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Do-Over!!

saucymama

Rough_Rock
I have been engaged since Christmas 2011, but haven't had a ring to wear for over 4 1/2 months. The store we purchased my first ring at had their goldsmith size it and he completely trashed it in every way imaginable. When we got it back, the band was all discoloured, uneven, flat in spots and very thin at the bottom. The centre stone was loose, a claw was hanging by a thread and the entire head was crooked. They refused to take responsibility for it, so we contacted the manufacturer and they stepped up and said they would replace the ring for us. We waited 7 weeks, only to get back the same ring. We were furious they tried to pass off the old ring repaired as a new ri and in addition to this, upon further inspection we noticed new damage. It had a crack in the band. This likely happened when they tried to repair it. So needless to say we don't have that ring anymore and had to start fresh. It was very disheartening at first and I didn't think I would find anything I loved as much as that ring. Alas, I did! I found something I love even more! My fiance picked it up last night and I am in love :love: Here are a few pics!

dscn0916.jpg
rscn0917.jpg
dscn0899.jpg
rscn0904.jpg
dscn0873.jpg
dscn0869.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, that is beautiful! I love that profile view.

Sorry for all you had to go through, but your new ring is just perfect!

saucymama

Rough_Rock
Laila619|1342577798|3235843 said:
Oh my gosh, that is beautiful! I love that profile view.

Sorry for all you had to go through, but your new ring is just perfect!

Thank you :) :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stunning!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! :love: So happy for you that you ended up with a ring you love!

starrynight

Shiny_Rock
yay for happy endings! beautiful profile :love:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful!!! I LOVE the profile view :love: So happy that all worked out for you :appl: What are the specs (and your finger size)?

saucymama

Rough_Rock
stargurl78|1342614883|3236011 said:
It's beautiful!!! I LOVE the profile view :love: So happy that all worked out for you :appl: What are the specs (and your finger size)?

Thank you everyone for you kind words :)

The ring is a Tacori (HT2522CU6.5W) in 18k white gold
The centre stone is a 1.04 ct RB GIA Ex, VS2 H and it rates 1.5 on the HCA
My finger size is 5.5

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lOVELY!!!!! Glad the wait is over!

Luxie

Shiny_Rock
Wow! I'll say it was totally worth the wait! That is one beautiful stone and that setting is gorgeous! I love the scalloped side details on the shank and I love the swoopy graceful basket holding up the stone and halo- it is beautiful congratulations!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It's perfect! :love: I'm sorry you had to go through all that you did, but an amazingly beautiful ring came out of it! :appl: What was your original setting?

saucymama

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1342634269|3236169 said:
It's perfect! :love: I'm sorry you had to go through all that you did, but an amazingly beautiful ring came out of it! :appl: What was your original setting?

Thank you :) My original ring was a Scott Kay Heaven's Gate. It was similar to this, but was a princess cut centre stone. This ring seems more smooth and delicate. I love it more!! It's kind of crappy because all the emotions and memories are attached to the original ring, but after all that happened I couldn't even look at it anymore. I think things happen the way they are meant to though, and I think I was just meant to have this beautiful ring instead :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
um.... :shock: ... that's some 'do-over"!!! Its gorgeous!!! I love it! Worth the wait! :appl: :appl: :appl:

But I can't believe the terrible path it took to get here! all with the same jeweller??? holy crap, you guys are very patient people :halo:

saucymama

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1342645126|3236292 said:
um.... :shock: ... that's some 'do-over"!!! Its gorgeous!!! I love it! Worth the wait! :appl: :appl: :appl:

But I can't believe the terrible path it took to get here! all with the same jeweller??? holy crap, you guys are very patient people :halo:

Thank you :) This ring was purchased from a different jeweller entirely. We will never purchase nor recommend anyone we know purchase from the first jeweller that had his goldsmith damage our first ring....ever. It wasn't easy being patient at all. After the ring came back repaired and not new with the new damage from Scott Kay it had been over 3 months without a ring at that point. Then it took a while before either party would agree to a refund and we weren't going to go ahead and purchase a new ring without it. We ordered this ring in June and having to wait almost 5 weeks to have it come in was sheer torture...lol.

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
First, congrats on your engagement! How exciting :)

Next, I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough go the first time around with your original engagement ring. That was probably a very upsetting experience for you. But in the end it worked out wonderfully, and now you have a stunning e-ring to wear on your pretty little finger! It's so beautiful! :love:

saucymama

Rough_Rock
DearBuddha|1342663752|3236420 said:
First, congrats on your engagement! How exciting :)

Next, I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough go the first time around with your original engagement ring. That was probably a very upsetting experience for you. But in the end it worked out wonderfully, and now you have a stunning e-ring to wear on your pretty little finger! It's so beautiful! :love:

It did work out wonderfully :) Thank you!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful! So glad things finally worked out!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so great that things finally worked out for you! Your new ring is one of my all time favourites, a true beauty :love: :love: :love: And it looks amazing on your hand, as if it was made specifically for you and you only!!! Wear it in good health and huge congrats on your engagement :appl:

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hello there! :wavey:

I'm so sorry you had to go through all this - I was wondering if you could post the name of the jewelry store as a warning to those considering doing business with them. I cannot believe a jewelry store would ruin your ring and then not take responsibility for it - it's so disheartening.

Also - how did it work out in the end as far as the refund goes? Were you able to get a full refund from the jeweler?

Thanks!!

saucymama

Rough_Rock
ABKIS|1342803386|3237273 said:
Hello there! :wavey:

I'm so sorry you had to go through all this - I was wondering if you could post the name of the jewelry store as a warning to those considering doing business with them. I cannot believe a jewelry store would ruin your ring and then not take responsibility for it - it's so disheartening.

Also - how did it work out in the end as far as the refund goes? Were you able to get a full refund from the jeweler?

Thanks!!

It was very disheartening and I was disgusted at the way they dealt with the situation. Very unprofessional to say the least. The sales girl even said to me that maybe I had brought it in looking like that prior to sizing. :angryfire: It was barely 2 months old and I babied that ring. They just didn't want to be liable for the shoddy work of their goldsmith. Who we later found out worked out of his house, so that wasn't too comforting. The name of the store is Michael Anthony Jewellers in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

It was a battle to get the refund. We also ended up finding out that the centre stone was not at all what we had requested. I had told the sales lady in the store specifics on what we wanted and then left the rest up to my fiance. I had trusted they gave us what we asked for and never looked at the GIA cert. I pulled it out when all this happened and discovered it was not a good diamond at all and NOT what we asked for. So we wanted a full refund for the mount and centre stone. We weren't getting anywhere with our contact at Scott Kay as he was handling everything on behalf of them and the jeweller, and I was getting more irritated by the day. I decided to contact someone that was quite high up at Scott Kay becuase I felt they needed to be aware of the situation and how it had affected us. I couldn't believe that a company like theirs would promise us a new ring and then try to pass off the old one repaired, not to metion let it go out to us with new damage. That night I received an email from Scott Kay himself letting me know how sorry he was and that he didn't blame me for being so upset. He said he was going to personally call me to rectify the situation. That call never came. We ended up getting the refund after quite the fight, but at least we got it. We then received apologies and a promise of free jewelry from their fashion collection. We have yet to see that, but quite frankly I could care less. Just happy that it has all worked out and I have a beautiful ring and can look forward to our upcoming wedding.

Thanks again to everyone and their lovely comments :)

saucymama

Rough_Rock
Some more pics on a sunny day :)

dscn0936.jpg
dscn0939.jpg
rscn0942.jpg

waitingforbling

Rough_Rock
Wow!! What a stunner!! Sorry for all your troubles. That's an unbelievable story but I love the happy ending!! Congrats!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement. I too am sorry for the trouble you had with the original ring, but my goodness; this ring is :love: :love:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the bonus new pics - that is a beautiful ring you now have, and so glad you shared more shots of it!

Reading thru your update - what crappy jewellers! To think, if you hadn't had problems, you may never have looked into the actual cert and compared it to your stone. Pretty scummy to do that to you - not give you what you paid for - have you reported to any BBB offices or anything? or just the Scott Kay rep? Not sure if that will have any long term effectiveness, but at least you are not out money or a ring.

Too bad you can't post the story on other sites that maybe unsuspecting new buyers could be made aware of....

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Nice!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

hoover

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring, Saucymama! The profile is amazing :cheeky:

Sadly, Edmonton has way too many shady jewelers. I too had problems with another local jeweler for my first ring in my pre-PS days. It's pretty dirty for the manufacturer to try to pass the old ring back to you too.

Enjoy the new sparkly and congrats!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Saucymamma on your engagement and your beautiful new ring! :appl:
I'm sorry you had such a terrible time with the first one. Where did you end up going to get this new ring?

Hoover, do you feel comfortable sharing the name of the shady jeweller in Edmonton? Or if you know anything about Freeman's Jewellers on Whyte? Maybe I should start an Edmonton's PS Approved Jewellers thread.
Apologies for thread jack.

saucymama

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1343695773|3243304 said:
Thanks for the bonus new pics - that is a beautiful ring you now have, and so glad you shared more shots of it!

Reading thru your update - what crappy jewellers! To think, if you hadn't had problems, you may never have looked into the actual cert and compared it to your stone. Pretty scummy to do that to you - not give you what you paid for - have you reported to any BBB offices or anything? or just the Scott Kay rep? Not sure if that will have any long term effectiveness, but at least you are not out money or a ring.

Too bad you can't post the story on other sites that maybe unsuspecting new buyers could be made aware of....

We filed a complaint with the BBB right away. They closed the case because the jeweler responded saying we were getting what we requested, which was a new ring. When the ring came back not new and with new damage I contacted them again and had them re-open our case. It is now closed as we finally got the refund but it still shows as a complaint against them none-the-less.

hoover|1343718222|3243503 said:
Beautiful ring, Saucymama! The profile is amazing :cheeky:

Sadly, Edmonton has way too many shady jewelers. I too had problems with another local jeweler for my first ring in my pre-PS days. It's pretty dirty for the manufacturer to try to pass the old ring back to you too.

Enjoy the new sparkly and congrats!

Yes, quite underhanded of both parties to stoop so low. Thanks for your comments :)

JaneSmith|1343791715|3244062 said:
Congratulations Saucymamma on your engagement and your beautiful new ring! :appl:
I'm sorry you had such a terrible time with the first one. Where did you end up going to get this new ring?

Hoover, do you feel comfortable sharing the name of the shady jeweller in Edmonton? Or if you know anything about Freeman's Jewellers on Whyte? Maybe I should start an Edmonton's PS Approved Jewellers thread.
Apologies for thread jack.

We got the new ring at Adamas Goldsmiths in Southgate Centre. They were fabulous there. I don't know anything about that jeweler you mentioned, but I wouldn't recommend Swedish Jewelers either. My fiance ordered his band there and they said it would take 4 weeks to come in. 7 weeks later and no ring. We called and found out the ring was discontinued. Now they refuse to give us our deposit back. Terrible. So I agree with Hoover in that there are definitely some shady jewelers in Edmonton.

tdeaux

Rough_Rock
I had a very similar experience with my original set at a BM store. It's very frustrating! It took a long time to get everything sorted out. Like you, I was afraid I wouldn't find anything I liked as much either. I finally have a new ring, though!

Your new ring is beautiful! I'm glad you were able to find something you love!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Obviously I am biased, hence my name :)
It is beautiful!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results