shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring - Diamond Budget of below $6000

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

knootz

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for an ideal cut round diamond for an engagement ring. Hope to get a stone that is about 1ct, F-G colour with clarity between VS2 to eye clean SI1. Ideally, stone should not cost more than $6,000.

Appreciate any help and suggestions here as I''m overwhelmed by all information and statistics to look out for.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

leapinghorse

Rough_Rock
I would drop to H in color and increase the size. I know many people are quick to recommend only ACA stones, but make sure to use the "price comparison" search feature. There are gorgeous stones out there that are on the virtual inventory lists. You just have to seek them out.

I found these three quickly:

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?item_id=AA515502&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&network_id=0cf05810a0f83094f6e9972ef21cdd34#

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?item_id=AA439127&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&network_id=0cf05810a0f83094f6e9972ef21cdd34#

http://www.uniondiamond.com/diamonds/diamonds.php?item_id=AA507641&search_type_id=2&action_type_id=2&network_id=0cf05810a0f83094f6e9972ef21cdd34#

They are also all available through Whiteflash (I linked to uniondiamond since you can view the cert there). WF can get the stones shipped to them, take idealscope images and give you an analysis before you buy. They all score well on the HCA and are about .2 carats bigger than the other stones mentioned. Again, this was a quick search by me, but it shows you that there are great stones out there that aren''t "branded" which can save you some dough.

Hope that helps

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alj picked some good ones, and that VS2 is a nice option if mine isn''t eyeclean, I actually saw those in my search. But I still picked the one I did because it''s a branded stone (just not advertised) and it''s less.

And yes, dropping to H would allow a bit more size.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 12:50:08 PM
Author: leapinghorse

I would drop to H in color and increase the size. I know many people are quick to recommend only ACA stones, but make sure to use the ''price comparison'' search feature. There are gorgeous stones out there that are on the virtual inventory lists. You just have to seek them out.

They are also all available through Whiteflash (I linked to uniondiamond since you can view the cert there). WF can get the stones shipped to them, take idealscope images and give you an analysis before you buy. They all score well on the HCA and are about .2 carats bigger than the other stones mentioned. Again, this was a quick search by me, but it shows you that there are great stones out there that aren''t ''branded'' which can save you some dough.

Hope that helps
While it''s true that there may be great stones available on the virtual inventory lists, it''s not a given that those stones will translate to ''saving dough''.

While the price of an inhouse stone can be a bit higher, I believe that''s balanced by not having to pay for shipping and examination of stones that may or may not prove worthwhile. Keep in mind that when vendors bring stones in for you, it costs them in shipping. If you ultimately buy the stone, you may not be asked to cover the shipping. However, if you don''t take them, you often have to cover the round-trip shipping charges.

Also, not all inhouse stones are ''branded''. The first stone I linked to in my post above was not a branded stone; rather, it was an "Expert Selection".....i.e. value for the money.

No one method is right or wrong, of course, but it''s important for the potential consumer to know that there are costs associated with bringing stones in, and that might cause them to gravitate toward stones that are already inhouse.

knootz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestion...i love this forum!!!

I am a bit hesitant to go down to colour H as rightfully (or wrongly) I prefer to go down on something that is not visible (clarity) to achieve higher colour that i think i will be able to see.

What''s your opinion on the following:

Carat weight: 1.10ct
Colour: F
Clarity: SI 1 (eye clean)
Table: 56.7%
Crown Angle: 34.6
Pavillion Angle: 40.8
Total Depth: 61.1
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Flourescence: Neg.
Measurement: 6.65*6.67*4.07

This appears to be a good deal for a bigger stone with higher colour. Best of all, this is within my budget but am not sure if the measurement of 4.07 is a bit too deep and will the neg. flourescence give me any problem?

Appreciate any comments as I will not have the benefit of seeing the stone in person.

Many thanks.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2007 11:02:40 AM
Author: knootz
Thanks for all the suggestion...i love this forum!!!

I am a bit hesitant to go down to colour H as rightfully (or wrongly) I prefer to go down on something that is not visible (clarity) to achieve higher colour that i think i will be able to see.

That question about colour, can only be answered by you seeing stones of differant colours and seeing if you can see a differance, tho i appreciate that can be difficult, that said, if your happy to go with a higher colour and lower clarity, but without sacrificing the eye clean look then that is perfect - but at the end of the day it is you and your other half who will be happy with your purchase
1.gif

What''s your opinion on the following:

Carat weight: 1.10ct

Colour: F

Clarity: SI 1 (eye clean)

Table: 56.7%

Crown Angle: 34.6

Pavillion Angle: 40.8

Total Depth: 61.1

Girdle: Thin to Medium

Flourescence: Neg.

Measurement: 6.65*6.67*4.07

This appears to be a good deal for a bigger stone with higher colour. Best of all, this is within my budget but am not sure if the measurement of 4.07 is a bit too deep and will the neg. flourescence give me any problem?

Appreciate any comments as I will not have the benefit of seeing the stone in person.

Many thanks.

4.07 isnt a problem, total depth is 61.1% which is nothing at all to worry about when you consider that the ''ideal'' range is 59ish - 62.5ish%

neg. flour means negligable... again nothing to worry about
1.gif
it just means its a real diamond (synthetic diamonds dont react to UV light)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results