shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Design

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

guy_cox

Rough_Rock
I have a large tanzanite and two small diamonds, I understand that the possibilities are limited as to how they can be arranged, but I am trying very hard to get a good designer who would help me with the design and to construct it.

Any advice very welcome.

Regards

Guy

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
you may know this already but tanzanite is somewhat soft and not really suitable for everyday wear--as such you may want to consider a mounting that will help protect it--what shape is it, does it have a high crown? what size are the diamonds?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2005 7:41:37 AM
Author:guy_cox
I have a large tanzanite and two small diamonds...
What are the sizes ? There are always lots of possibilities
2.gif

guy_cox

Rough_Rock
I havn''t bought it, a family member did in florida on a cruise and reckons the tanzanite is 6 ct and each daimonds are 1ct, the are all in emerald cut How can I protect teh tanzaite and still keep it visible. I understand Tiffany''s first published tanzanite, so there must be some good designs out there.

G

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Yes, tanzanite is VERY soft. I own several pieces and never wear them now unless it''s for a special occasion. My favorite ring has a huge scratch down the stone b/c I didn''t believe the hype about how soft they were and unfortunately, found out the hard way.

I would suggest that you get a bezel setting. This protects the edges, but since it''s a rather large stone you would not have to worry about seeing the stone. I think you would definitely see it. I actually have a bezel set tanzanite ring with two diamond side stones at home.

I will bring it on Monday and scan it here at work. I would be happy to post it for you to take a look at it. Mine isn''t as big as yours will be, but you will be able to see what type of setting I am talking about.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are pretty large allright, so there might be less freedom of choice about the overall shape of the ring than I might have imagined, but still, a few things come to mind. Unless you want to wear the ring for gardening, I wouldn't worry allot about potential nicks and scratches. They amount to a fact of life for any jewelry - diamonds included. Surface marks can be olished away painlessly when they get too many to bear.

It would take pen and paper to get a profile of the ring, but if "bezel" sounds ok, a lighter version sounds better (IMO) for a large stone. Half bezel maybe ?

... like this one:
20851k.JPG

The side diamonds need no armour, of course, unless for the sake of equality; the next is a relatively light version of bezel setting that leaves the pavilions of the stones free much like Tiffany's Lucida bezel:

13230a.JPG

The yellow diamond below received similar treatment - the relative size of the bezel facing can be safely less for larger stones:

r012-01W.jpg

Safety issues or not, that will be a reasonably large ring, so a simple cross-prong setting might just as well do. This one comes with 8 carat sapphire and two diamonds 1 carat each: lots of weight, especially on a small hand...

RTS-4675-50468.jpg

... but there' always room for intricacy if you so choose. No example of such design with three emerald cuts came handy, but the sapphire below is about 17 carats and it still got it's sidestones and paved frame all in one ring. Too big ? Don't think so...

P14_1_1123200440754PM
P14_2_1123200440754PM

Anything close to what you might have in mind ? It's easier to look up with a certain style refference known
1.gif

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Not quite the size you are talking about but here is one of my tanzanite rings that is semi-bezel set with baguette diamond sides. The metal of the bezel is at the top and bottom (North/South) of the ring and the sides (East/West) are open.

tanz.jpg

guy_cox

Rough_Rock
WOW thank you all very very much.

the rocks are 7 ct for the tanzanite in emerald and 1ct for the diamonds also in emerald.

I get the feeling that I certainly don''t want the tanzanite promenant from the diamonds, but more on a level, in a bezel or prong with at least 6 prongs.

regards

Guy

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Here is my tanzanite ring...it''s not as big as your, but you can get an idea of the setting. Sorry the setting looks crooked...I scanned it in.

tanzring.jpg

VAgal13

Shiny_Rock
Hand picture...

middletanz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results