shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring - Cushion Cut (I'm new to all this)

michiganmike1

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescope crew. I am planning out an engagement ring and had always assumed I'd be looking at mined diamonds. Today we were talking about lab-grown and she shocked me by saying since they are essentially the same thing, and since diamonds depreciate, it would be crazy not to get a lab made. Plus her stone could be a little bigger :)

So I'm scrapping what I had planned and starting over again. Not going to lie, the thought of $6K is more palatable than $15K!

That said, I'm still a complete newbie. Here's what I am looking for:

Cushion Cut
Square, not rectangle
2.5(ish) carats
not the "crushed ice" -- liked the hearts and arrows she saw
Budget - $6500

For the setting she wants a simple yellow gold thin band with white gold prongs. No other diamonds. I likely can get it set locally if that's easier.

I would more than appreciate any suggestions or help. I'll admit I know nothing about this stuff!!

Thanks in advance!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Have you been on rare carat? It lets you search many vendors at once and has a lab filter- you can also filter for stones that have a report and that have actual pics/video. I think video is good if possible to get the full idea of what the stone will perform like, although it’s never as good as seeing in person, so make sure your vendor has a good return policy. I used the site when I purchased a lab diamond and was very happy.

For cushions, not an expert, but you can look at these cut patterns and see which are most visually pleasing. I think cushions with a more organized facet pattern (like the H&A) are beautiful and I dislike the crushed ice style. https://yourdiamondteacher.com/diamond-shapes-cuts/cushion-cut-diamond-guide/

An alternative is the more old fashioned cuts, like OMC and OEC and some of the PSers have found or had these custom cut. They’re very cool as well!

holyrock

Rough_Rock
Trade
Are you dead set on a cushion cut? Why if i may ask?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Check out James Allen for lab made diamonds!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Distinctive Gem yet! He has an amazing hearts and arrows cushion. Here is a link:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve purchased quite a few pieces from new world diamonds and have been very happy with them. They have a great selection of cushions

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m surprised no one has mentioned Distinctive Gem yet! He has an amazing hearts and arrows cushion. Here is a link:

Came here to recommend this as well! Jon is very knowledgeable and trustworthy, and if she likes square cushion with h&a, this is the best of the best. Jon also has a bench that can take care of setting.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Checkout ADA Diamonds as well for ideal cut, premium lab diamonds!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Oh, but I did. :)

michiganmike1

Rough_Rock
I have to admit, I am shocked by some of the prices I’m seeing from the vendors mentioned above. Call it 2.25 - 2.5 carat in the G range/VS1-VS2 for roughly $10K.

Do prices fluctuate more in lab grown diamonds from vendor to vendor than in mined? RareCarat pricing seems to be considerably less for similarly spec’d and finished diamonds.

Sorry for what’s probably a stupid comment. Just trying to make heads or tails of all this and am utterly confused.

thanks everyone!!

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I third recommend Jon at Distinctive Gem! He has gorgeous hearts and arrows cushions!

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to admit, I am shocked by some of the prices I’m seeing from the vendors mentioned above. Call it 2.25 - 2.5 carat in the G range/VS1-VS2 for roughly $10K.

Do prices fluctuate more in lab grown diamonds from vendor to vendor than in mined? RareCarat pricing seems to be considerably less for similarly spec’d and finished diamonds.

Sorry for what’s probably a stupid comment. Just trying to make heads or tails of all this and am utterly confused.

thanks everyone!!

My guess is that there could be some proprietary process involved with the cuts offered by the various vendors. As people will tell you, cushions vary widely and one 2 carat will appear different than another 2 carat.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thanks everyone!!

If you are comparing a custom cut to one already cut there will be a premium associated with it. Jon is really picky when it comes to making sure that the custom cuts are the best of the best, so that extra legwork he does with custom cutting will make it more $$. Imho it's worth it

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
There is some variability, and precut will be less than custom cuts as mentioned above.

The higher carat stones also see a pretty significant jump in price, often just as you get above the 2ct mark. From things I have read/previous threads it seems that with the different methods used to create lab diamonds there are some challenges involved with producing the larger size rough which is cut into larger diamonds so they are more expensive to produce.

I think it’s a balance- set your budget then decide which of the “4 c’s” you want to prioritize. The difference between 2 and 2.25 may not be a big difference in face up, depending on the cut, and could have significant cost difference. I tend to be one to go a smidge smaller but prioritize cut.

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't like the G as much, a large part of the middle seems to go dark. But I do like how it's more colorless than the other two choices.
I prefer the 2.52 H in terms of sparkle.
I defer to the expertise of others.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

thanks everyone!!

PS. the custom cut one from Jon runs about 5k for a 2.45 stone (as per his website). EDIT. that must be a mistake, because he has this one for 8K (ish) and it's not 2.45: https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...ows-cushion-private-reserve-lab-grown-diamond

michiganmike1

Rough_Rock

michiganmike1

Rough_Rock
My concern is that you mentioend she liked the cushion H&A she saw. None of these are that cut. They aren't "crushed ice", but they aren't H&A either.
She saw the price on the hearts and arrows and changed her mind.

We are in the middle of building a house so she is asking me to be frugal.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She saw the price on the hearts and arrows and changed her mind.

We are in the middle of building a house so she is asking me to be frugal.

ahhhh gotcha. That makes total sense. Would she be ok with a smaller stone in the H&A cut, or is she set on a bigger size?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here: Put this on hold ASAP!!!!

Some other options (last one from RC is a bit out of square):

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some other options (last one is a bit out of square):

OMG that first one!!!!!!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some other options (last one from RC is a bit out of square):

That first one looks really nice!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
OMG that first one!!!!!!

Yes it is fantastic!!!

I have purchased from With Clarity, the listed vendor, and they were excellent to work with. They have a variety of settings as well, unless you want something custom/set locally. I had a simple platinum solitaire that they were able to do some modifications for- I wanted claw prongs instead of tab so they modified one of their settings and the workmanship was good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results