shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Band Metal Type

boilerfan1509

Rough_Rock
I have looked at some of the guides about this and from what I got i should get Platinum if I can afford it.

But how much should it impact my budget? Right now i am finding the setting that i like and getting diamonds that will fit my budget.

Would I be wiser to go with a white gold or Palladium (for cheaper) and maybe get a better diamond?

Or is everyone's general thought is to stay with Platinum, because the few hundred bucks that i would save switching to white gold wouldnt be made up in adding it to a diamond?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
many people prefer white gold to platinum...one is not better than another. maybe price out what you could get with both white gold and platinum so you have a concrete example?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
It boils down to how much your total budget is. If you budget is lower, then you have to make a decision regarding how you want to apportion the money - setting or stone.

If your budget is high, then platinum or gold is more of an aesthetic choice rather than a dollar and cents choice.

Many here feel platinum is unnecessary, and love their white gold even though budget isn't strictly their number 1 concern. I on the other hand go for platinum whenever possible. But I like ruthenium alloy platinum - 950/50 platinum to ruthenium respectively.

No right or wrong answer. Choice of carat gold also matters if it is unplated due to the 'warmth' that the metal imparts to the ring through its colour.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Is the ring for you or for your girl? If it's for your girl, make sure that you know what she likes best before you make a decision.

If the ring is for you, ask yourself if you don't mind about having your ring rhodium plated more or less once a year (I know it doesn't cost so much, but still...). Also, don't forget that your white gold may turn yellowish if you don't have it plated regularly...

As far as I'm concerned I like platinum better because I don't have to worry about such things.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get platinum if your gf has any type of skin allergies. The alloying metal in WG might cause a reaction down the road.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Research the difference and make an informed decision. I only had WG rings. I hated getting them redipped. When I got my reset and my wedding band earlier this year I had a tough decision to make. I did a ton of research and asked my jeweler a lot of questions. I went Platinum. To me the color was most important. The only place that I'd really see the patina is that the bottom under my hand, due to all my sidestones. I've been wearing my set since we got married in April. I LOVE plat. I would get it whenever I could. But there are people on here that HATE it. That being said I recently got a quote on a ring from two different vendors. From the first one, to do platinum my price would jump $250. The next jeweler - the price would increase approx $800. That's a big difference! The price of gold is much closer to platinum right now. The gap isn't as big as it use to be. For my wedding set I had to pay about $200 per ring to upgrade to plat if I remember right. So it was worth the jump. Years ago before the metal prices went up, the difference in price was much larger. So I thought now was my time to try plat. I was glad I did. It's a very personal choice though.

MqLove

Rough_Rock
I just got my ring in palladium, because I loved the thought of using palladium (I work in chemistry), it was not expensive, and hated always needing to get white gold re-dipped. I can't speak for durability and aging yet, but it's definitely lovely and white and light.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results