shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring advise - new vs repair antique

Ferg

Rough_Rock
Hi all, this is my first post! I am currently seeking advise, my planning on proposing to my girlfriend and I'm have a a hard time on deciding on purchasing here a new 5k diamond ring "James Allen, blue nile etc." or repairing a purple oval sapphire ring her mom gave her, the ring was purchased in a European market about 35 years ago. My girlfriend at one time got the ring priced for repairs 1-2k "don't know exactly needs to be done with it besides the clasps and refinishing the band". But if it was sub 2k I would be open for suggestions on how to enhance its look and value without taking away from its unique setting and band, possible a diamond bezel or adding a couple >0.1 coloured diamonds. Please see added pictures. Thanks

_8251.jpg

_8252.jpg

_8253.jpg

DiamondBrokersofFlorida

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think I would go for the new ring for engagement and keep the other for a right hand ring. Maybe as a wedding gift on the purple sapphire.

Ferg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response! Keep them coming!

Groucho

Rough_Rock
DiamondBrokersofFlorida|1374763164|3489919 said:
I think I would go for the new ring for engagement and keep the other for a right hand ring. Maybe as a wedding gift on the purple sapphire.

+1

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep I agree, coloured stones make great and sentimental right hand rings and could be repaired for an anniversary, as a present when a child is born that sort of thing. I would recommend a diamond for the engagement ring, but that is just personal preference.

Ferg

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the comments! I was initially looking at an 0.9-1.0 oval diamond, d-f, cut ideal, above si1. But considering that this ring is an oval shape should I avoid get a oval diamond. Would like to avoid round,pear, and possibly princess. Any advise? She has long slender fingers.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Groucho|1374767200|3489975 said:
DiamondBrokersofFlorida|1374763164|3489919 said:

+1
+2

eac

Shiny_Rock
What repairs does that ring need? I'm baffled at the 1 - 2 K quote because the shank looks fine, and the prongs are excellent - not worn down or anything. Recently I took an antique ring for a refresh. One jeweler kept upping his quote - $700 - no, $900 - no, if he had his way, $1500. Shocked by this, I went and got a second estimate, which was $350 - $400.

If my best friend showed me that lovely ring and said it was a "purple sapphire" from her mom, I'd encourage her to get it evaluated - it looks very large and clear for a sapphire. If she wanted it with all her heart to be her engagement ring, I'd support that, and if she wanted a more "standard" ring, I'd support that too. Good luck with whatever you choose.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring looks to be in relatively good condition; shank looks good, prongs look good, and perhaps the engraving isn't as deep as it used to be but $1K is far too much for touching up the setting. The stone doesn't look expensive either, based on the colouration shown. I would get a new ring for the e-ring.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, late to the thread and for all I know, you've already proposed! That said, I too would suggest a new ring - unless there is something unique about the sapphire ring that we don't know, like special family history, or a tradition of presenting colored stone rings or the like. Good luck!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you were going to invest in the ring, I'd suggest getting an appraiser for the stone. Just a question, would you invest 1-2K in the ring if it was not an expensive stone?

Unless your girlfriend indicated she would like the ring for the engagement ring. I would save the ring for a keepsake, refurbished (which should really not be too much, low 100's of dollars). I think an oval diamond is a lovely idea, as it echos a ring she already has fondness for, yet in a diamond.

leebooker76

Rough_Rock
Personally, I place high value in my family heirlooms. I agree that since it is a sapphire, keep it for a right hand ring. But that doesn't mean do not get it fixed. That is an awfully high number for "fixing" a ring that doesn't really look broken, just used. I would have it tightened up, prongs checked for weakness, etc just so you don't lose that lovely stone. I gave my wife a family heirloom ring, which was set with a diamond and it has withstood what most rings nowadays could not. Back then the settings were designed for a much "rougher" life and were generally thicker and more stable. I too found that local jewelers were pretty pricey for doing a simple cleanup and repair so I searched online and found this guy http://aurell.com that does custom jewelry and would take the job. I was a bit leery about sending this ring to someone I didn't know but he had good reviews and was an ebay seller. If you want it fixed I would recommend him.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results