shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherhunt

Rough_Rock
I''m searching for an asscher cut diamond for an engagement ring. I''ve done quite a bit of research and have read the message boards. Here are the specifics I''m looking at and would welcome any advice to narrow down my search.
~1.5 carats
VS1-VVS1
at least a very good cut
table: 55-65%
depth: 65-70%
no fluorescence

There seems to be quite a few available through Blue Nile and Union.
First of all, what are the thoughts on purchasing from these vendors? I know this will save money, but is it worth the risk?
Second, the local jewelers keep trying to push SI1, but I hesitate when I see them through a loop. Am I crazy or are these substandard diamonds?

Do any of the current listed asscher diamonds jump out as good buys?

I''ll more than happy to provide options for everyone''s opinion, but I''d like to hear some advice first. This is obviously a huge and meaningful decision and am nervous I''ll mess up.
Thank you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can go shallower than 65 easily. As long as the table is smaller than the depth... you can go as low as 62 or even lower in some cases.

Asschers, lke all fancies...MUST be seen before purchase.

asscherhunt

Rough_Rock
These are the stats on the diamond the jeweler is trying to sell. They ordered it, but I haven''t seen it yet.
Its listed for ~$7800 from Blue Nile and they are asking ~$10,000.

Stock number: LD00176519 if you want to look at the GIA inclusion map.
Carat weight: 1.57
Cut: Very Good
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 69.7%
Table %: 66%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Good
Girdle: Thick to very thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.56 x 6.38 x 4.45 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.03

Any thoughts? The SI1 is what bugs me.
Cheers.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Symmetry and Polish shouldn''t be ''good''... ''good'' symmetry is usually NOT good in asschers. VG/VG or EX/EX is what you should be looking for.

Table and Depth look okay by the numbers.. spread isn''t great. It''s a deep stone and has a V thick girdle... so it''s facing up smaller than I''d like for a 1.57 diamond... but it''s not gong to make the stone ugly... just a little smaller.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldnt have bothered with it too many strikes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 2:52:39 PM
Author: Gypsy
You can go shallower than 65 easily. As long as the table is smaller than the depth... you can go as low as 62 or even lower in some cases.

Asschers, lke all fancies...MUST be seen before purchase.
I kinda wish the first rule would go away while its a good guideline for a lot of asschers out there its not always true.
A 62% table 60% depth asscher could very well rock.

Good pictures and a return policy is a better way of putting it than they must be seen unless you specify that they be seen by a trusted vendor.
Not picken on ya just trying to clarify things a little.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't disagree... but when a person wants to work with a BM instead of a vendor on here that provides lots of pics... guidelines are helpful. So that's pretty much what I'm going to offer. There are obviously exceptions to many rules... and some of the nicest diamonds on here (Kristy Darlings) are not perfect by the numbers. Shopping with your eyes is best, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results