shape
carat
color
clarity

Engaged!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,
Last Thursday my boyfriend proposed to me while we were having a picnic in Sonoma at the Chateau St. Jean winery. It was so romantic and perfect! I have a picture of the ring and it is so beautiful. I don''t really have any specs but my boyfriend used my grandma''s old diamond, which is around .75 ct and it is set in 18 carat white gold. The diamond has a small inclusion near the edge, but it only makes it sparkle a bit more and it is REALLY old so i can''t complain. Unfortunately, today I had the prongs slightly shaved down because they kept snagging on things and now the tips that overlap the top of the diamond are yellowish and I am so sad! Someone told me about rhodium plating and I don''t really know if my jeweler can do it. He STILL hasn''t set the prongs correctly either only 1 prong is perfectly covering the diamond. I am so aggravated. I live in Santa Monica, CA and if anyone knows of a really good and trustworthy jeweler, I am all ears.
Anyway, I am so happy that I finally have my ring and that my amazing boyfriend and I are getting married! Hopefully we can get all the little imperfections fixed without it having to leave my finger too long. Maybe when I get it all fixed up I will post more pictures.

simones ring.jpg

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations PG888!!! What a darling ring and there''s SO much sentiment that goes with it...I can''t recommend a jeweler in the SM area, sorry...but your jeweler should be able to rhodium plate the gold so it''ll be super white again!!!

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response!
I only need them to rhodium plate the tops of the prongs holding the center diamond. I don''t want them to touch the rest of the setting as it is still beautifully white and shiny. The tips of the prongs look noticeably different in color than the rest of the ring. The picture was taken before the prongs were "fixed".

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely congratulations!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring!

I am from the Santa Monica area and I can tell you that Shane''s in Westwood Village is really good (and trustworthy)...I have had many bad experiences (too many to name, esp. Grace Jewelers in the village) but I liked them. Good price and great work!

ONCE AGAIN, CONGRATS!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
very nice! congratulations!

shasha

Rough_Rock
Its soooooo pretty!!!! Its got that romantic and delicate look.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring looks like a garland around the finger
1.gif
Very nice!

Any plans for a wedding band ?

I hope you will find one jewelry shop that can offer pleasant service. They still existhere and there ...
11.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
beautiful! congrats and best wishes
1.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is so lovely & delicate--the setting is perfect for your grandma''s diamond. What a wonderful, sentimental ring! Congrats on your engagement!
36.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is beautiful!
35.gif

I am sure that once you get the ring rhodium plated and the prongs adjusted, it will be perfect.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Very feminine! Wonderful all ''round!!

cheers--Sharon

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is just exquisite! Congratulations on your engagement! Hope you can find someone to tip the prongs for you. I wouldn''t think it would be too hard for a jeweler to do.

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your praises! I love the ring, but every time I look at it now, all I see is yellow prongs
7.gif
. The rest of the ring, the side stones and basket, is so white and shiny that now it looks two tone...boo hoo.
How do they "tip the prongs"? Does that mean they don''t coat the whole thing with rhodium plating again?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
It is lovely and how sweet that you were able to use an heirloom stone...even more special. Congrats!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is very pretty.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty ring with a lot of sentimental attachment. Congratulations!

I didn''t see a side shot but you may ask the jeweler if the whole head can be replaced with a platinum one. That way you''ll never have to worry with yellowing again.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
thanks so much for sharing... it''s beautiful! i love the delicate-ness of it. congrats!!!

i hope you resolve the prong issue!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is so dainty and beautiful!!!
30.gif

Congratulations on your engagement, you must be bouncing off the walls!

Regarding the tips, I would definitely reccommend having them switched to platinum. You can keep the rest of the ring in WG, but platinum prongs are sturdier than WG ones, and you definitely want something study when holding a diamond! Also, it eliminates the problem of having them yellow with time. As for the rest of the ring being WG, it may yellow with time. Simply go to your jeweler (or any trusted jeweler for that matter) and ask them to have it rhodium dipped/plated again. This is a very simple procedure that shouldn''t even take a day to do. They don''t need to remove any diamonds or anything, and your ring will look like new again!!

Congrats!
2.gif

snow_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi palegirl!

Congratulations on your ring and proposal!! :)
Your ring is AMAZING.

My ring a similar style to yours and it was custom made at Bracken Jewelers at Third Street Promenade. They specialize in antique and estate jewelry. I''m sure they would be able to help you or at least offer some advice. Todd is a jewelry genius (he''s the owner) and Margaret (salesperson) is really great (but also brutally honest). They do incredible work there. It''s on west side of the promenade by the mall. If you are walking from Santa Monica Place, it''s the fourth or fifth store on your left.

Good luck!

Joanne

palegirl888

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone! I went back and had him tighten the prongs and rhodium plate it and it looks a lot better. The prongs are a little uneven on the top, one tip is a little smaller than the others, but I think I only notice it and it seems like such a hassle to get them all to match. I guess my prongs will have to remain a little "wonky" and not matching. I am just happy to be engaged and have a beautiful ring. Maybe if we get a bigger stone put in or something I will get the prongs set perfectly. I will try to post more pictures of the side too!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on the engagement!
36.gif
It''s so nice to have a family heirloom piece as your e-ring! I hope you''re able to get the problem with the prongs fixed! Good luck!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!! And a beautiful engagement ring!!
36.gif
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results