shape
carat
color
clarity

Empty Platinum Setting...what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
So, my mother has 2 empty platinum settings and has no idea who they belonged to. My great grandmother was married 3 or 4 times, so I am thinking they could be hers and one might be my grandmother''s. There are 2 in total, both are platinum, and unfortunately void of stones. I was thinking of picking my favorite for a gemstone project, but they seem to be very "bridal" looking and I would be looking to wear as a RHR.

I figure with the cost of platinum these days, I would really like take advantage of what I have. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of each setting, but they are "classic" e-ring styles, one being a solitaire with 2 bag''s and the other looks like this PSer''s new ring pictured here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring.93420/

Not really sure what the budget would be, but I am thinking I want to go the colored gems route for this project. The center of each would hold about a .75ct diamond. However, I am wondering if I should bother if these settings look to e-ring for a RHR, even with colored gems....

Any opinions?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have a colored stone sapphire solitare as a RHR and it is fine. Every now and than people ask me if I am engaged....than they stop and say "oops wrong hand" it is not a big deal. I think they ask because they know I am in long term relationship, not because of the ring.

What is your budget? If you have less than $100 you could do an amethyst or aqua. For a little more money you could do a garnet, spinal, any maybe some sapphires (like a pink or yellow one). Depends on what you want.

ETA: I just looked at the pic....if I had those settings I would put a colored stone in them and wear them as a RHR in a minute.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''d go the colored stone route and make them into a RHR. Sounds like a fun project! You would end up with a very cool ring for not much $$$.
2.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I was able to find better pictures of each setting (thanks to the James Allen site). I suppose my budget would be $500-$600 for the 6mm center stone in each, but that would mean I could not take on both projects at once, which is fine. So, with gem stone as the center, which one do you think would look less like an e-ring? I know that is difficult since, they were designed to be e-rings, perhaps the setting with baguettes?

In terms of gem stones, I would have to go with a round and I am not sure which gem stones work well with a round cut. I have seen several sapphires that look nice as rounds, maybe that would be a good way to go.

Platinum.Settings.omie.08.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I think the one on the left of the last picture would look less e-ring but I wouldn't care. I know people can say stupid things and that can be annoying. I wish we didn't have a world where people think that women shouldn't/can't buy their own diamonds.

Anything would be pretty in those settings. What are you favorite stones? I think a sapphire would be great.

Go for it !

---

See avitar of my new vintage OMC ! !

ma re

Ideal_Rock
What''s your favorite color? Which colors you wear the most? What''s your skin tone, hair color...? Just to have something to start with
9.gif

Round cut (or brilliant cut) is designed to showcase brilliance and scintilation of diamonds, therefore it''s best used for highly brilliant materials of good transparency. Some of such stones that would fit your budget, for the given size, are fancy sapphires, spinels, garnets and maybe tanzanites (although they''re not the best ring stones in terms of durability).

Of course you don''t have to follow the rules, but I just tried to answer your question.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I think they would look beautiful with gemstones as RHR''s. What a fun project!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results