shape
carat
color
clarity

Emeralds

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Hello! Ok so I have decided I want a really nice emerald, so I am trying to liquidate most of my collection to make this happen. However, I want a really nice untreated, glassy(not many inclusions), blue-green emerald. (Oh and I'm also looking for one that's 2-4 carats and emerald cut.) I don't care about where it's from or anything. I am prepared to pay the big bucks so don't worry about that! I am also expecting the search could be a long time, so while I'm saving I would like to start looking. However I can't find too many online! so far I found one on multicolor, but it's a heart shape. And there's a beautiful one on embassy emerald that looks pretty good. Is there anywhere else I'm missing that has a decent selection of emeralds? I checked Leon Mege's site too but no emeralds at this time.i will link the embassy emerald one as it's a stunner :). Thanks so much!
http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=615

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try Yvonne Raley, she can source Colombian emeralds at a reasonable price.
14350390_1776106139271130_1261216828_n.jpg 20150512_093022.jpg
These 2 are minor oil only Colombian that I got from Yvonne. She could probably find untreated emeralds for you.

I would also try George of IEEX (http://www.ieex.com.co/ ), another PSer got a lovely stone by him that was set by Victor.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colombian-emerald-in-victor-canera-setting.223522/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/colombian-emerald-in-victor-canera-setting.223522/[/URL]

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Mochiko! I will check the sites you mentioned. And thank you for linking that ring! I've been trying to find it for days! Surprised there weren't more comments on it!

Boerumbuddy, those sites have really great pieces, but I don't want to end up spending extra on a setting I probably won't like. I would rather put all the money I can into the stone, and then save up for a really nice setting. Something classic! Like this Leon one. Thanks for the suggestions!

Fashionblogger, I can't connect to the site you linked for some reason. But in any case I am looking for a loose stone. Not too sure what that site is about!

I guess also big bucks can mean different things to different people. (Definitely can't play up there in the 50-100k range lol) I was hoping to spend anywhere from 10-30k. 30k would be my absolute max unless something crazy nice shows up. Then maybe I can sell my car. Who needs a car anyways.

img_13513.jpg

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
OP, you made me laugh out loud! One reason I can afford to dabble in colored stones at all is that living in the city means I don't need a car, for real. So no installments, no insurance, no parking fees, just an unlimited transit card.....
Of course, real estate costs can be a little high here, but I got my apartment 20 years ago, when Brooklyn was still cheap. Believe it or not, I bought a coop for $40,000. My own personal miracle.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your budget I would definitely contact George first to see what he has available. You can check out his Instagram @muzoemeralds.

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Boerumbiddy, you live in New York? Lucky you! I can't believe you got a place for that cheap. And that's great you don't need a car where you live! I could probably get by without a car too, but it sure makes things easier when there's two kids in tow! And it gets very cold here (-20 average but can get to -40 Celsius ) so waiting at bus stops could get old fast in the winter lol. But we will just have to see what emerald presents itself. Maybe I will be waiting at bus stops haha :)

Kellyashley, thanks for the link! I did check it out and your right it ticks every box except the color is a bit lighter than I was hoping. It sure looks like it glows though!

Chroman, thanks for the suggestion! That tsav is beautiful! I really do have my heart set on an emerald though. Hopefully a PS member snatches that one up so we can see hand shots!

Mochiko, I just sent that company you linked an email, so we will see what they have! Thanks so much for linking it. I checked out their instagram and it is amazing! I forgot to say too your emeralds are beautiful! So glowy! Do you have any other green gems like garnets or tourmaline? And if so how do they compare to the emeralds if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Oh and for funsies, I was doing a bit of emerald research and I came across this wiki how (I know I know) on how to choose a top emerald, and look what they say about saturation. Hopefully you can zoom in and read the tiny print. Made me cringe.

img_13523.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have owned cuprian tourmalines, non-cuprian tourmalines, tsavorite garnets, Zambian emerald and Colombian emerald. I tried to paste photos of them into one collage so you can have a crude comparison. I would say that only cuprian/paraiba tourmaline and emeralds have that special glow which I love. Tsavorites have similar bright grass green color of some emeralds but they don't have the glow (I ended up selling the tsav 5-stone ring because I preferred emerald). The Zambian emeralds which I own have nice color but they are more included so they were carved, and have less glow than the Colombians. (I do think the better quality African emeralds can be very nice though of course not the same as Colombian. I've seen some Brazilian emeralds in person too, and think they are closer to Colombian emerald than African ones.) I personally prefer the Colombian emeralds due to the color and glow.

The 5 stone is tsavorite garnet, the one in pink halo is Mozambique cuprian tourmaline, the pendant and emerald cut ring are both Colombian (but different quality, the pendant is smaller but more glowy, while the emerald-cut emerald in the ring is less glowy but has more blue-green color), the earrings are carved Zambian emerald, the chubby pear is a non-cuprian Namibian tourmaline, the loose round is a non-cuprian Congo tourmaline. :wavey:
comp-green.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I'd second contacting George (contact info was mentioned above), and I'd also suggest Lee Wasson (http://leewasson.com/?lang=en). Good luck! Can't wait to see what your search yields. :D

austinj

Shiny_Rock
Wow thank you Mochiko for that detailed response and pictures! That really helped me to decide. I definitely want a Colombian emerald. Yay! I was looking at a couple untreated Brazilian emeralds but they were much lighter in tone and really quite blue! I want the blue but only slightly, and more of a medium to med dark tone.
George got back to me and he said a top stone about 2 carats would be right in my price range so that's good news. I think I might wait a few months to see if the US dollar will go down a bit so I can save some $$$ on the exchange. But I am super excited! Btw is there a thread on your emerald ring? Stunning!

Sparkliesluver thanks for the link! They also have amazing looking emeralds and Lee's story is quite interesting. I can't wait till I can pull the trigger on something!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results