shape
carat
color
clarity

Emeralds, how to clean them?

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
I'm about to get my first emerald. What is the best way to clean it. My setting will be an emerald with a diamond halo set in 14k yellow gold. Can I use diluted Dawn Dish detergent? Perhaps, a commercial cleaner like Connoisseurs Jewelry cleaner for fine or the delicate version?

All help is much appreciated.

Congrats on your first emerald purchase! So you want to avoid ultrasonic machines, steam cleaners, and chemical dips. You can simply wipe the stone with a soft cloth after wearing. Or, if it needs a deeper cleaning, yes, I always recommend a gentle wash with Dawn, warm (not hot) water, and a soft brush.

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I used gentle dish detergent and warm, kinda hot, water. I noticed this eventually stripped my emerald of oils, so I put it in a cup of steam-distilled cedar oil and left it covered in a warm place for several hours. The emerald looked like its old self. This is a decent DIY option in a pinch, but hopefully the experts will show up because I really don't think my method is ideal. ;-)

ETA: New reply popped up while I was writing mine. Seconding the avoidance of ultrasonic machines and chemical dips - those will make your emerald very sad, and you even sadder. My jeweler has used a steam cleaner on my emerald and it worked well, but he's only done that twice over the past two years; I wouldn't recommend doing that as a routine cleaning method.

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
Congrats on your first emerald purchase! So you want to avoid ultrasonic machines, steam cleaners, and chemical dips. You can simply wipe the stone with a soft cloth after wearing. Or, if it needs a deeper cleaning, yes, I always recommend a gentle wash with Dawn, warm (not hot) water, and a soft brush.

Thank you. I just don't want to damage the emerald. I'm am so excited for it.

TwilightBlue

Rough_Rock
I used gentle dish detergent and warm, kinda hot, water. I noticed this eventually stripped my emerald of oils, so I put it in a cup of steam-distilled cedar oil and left it covered in a warm place for several hours. The emerald looked like its old self. This is a decent DIY option in a pinch, but hopefully the experts will show up because I really don't think my method is ideal. ;-)

ETA: New reply popped up while I was writing mine. Seconding the avoidance of ultrasonic machines and chemical dips - those will make your emerald very sad, and you even sadder. My jeweler has used a steam cleaner on my emerald and it worked well, but he's only done that twice over the past two years; I wouldn't recommend doing that as a routine cleaning method.

Thank you for the tips. Your emerald is exquisite! I can't wait to see my ring when it's made.

@TwilightBlue The goldens in your profile pic are beautimous! My favorite breed, and all I've ever owned!!
1237400wqzwintuen.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results