shape
carat
color
clarity

Emeralds and windows

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Is it common for emeralds to have windows/ light leakage?

and i know that the level of windows is all subjective and what i would call a concern may not be someone else's concern

just really wondering if windows on emeralds a common thing that ppl see.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, however, it depends on how the CSs are cut to minimise windows.

I have a synthetic Emerald custom cut by Jeff White with no window.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@gregchang35 maybe post this in rocky talk to get more info? I don't know anything about this topic but for the fact that I hate windows in gems with a passion. In fact, even in an otherwise beautiful stone if there is a window I cannot wear it. Bothers the heck out of me. If you are considering purchasing an emerald please make sure like @dk168 did with her stone that it has no window if you are similarly bothered by them. IMO it detracts and distracts from the beauty of the gem.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some PSers have commented that they could live with a bit of window if the colour is right and the cutting is less than ideal in CSs.

Each to their own and all that.

My way of addressing the window issue in Emeralds, would be to get a top colour cab, as a sufficient clean stone in top colour is out of my league, hence I got a synthetic one! ;))

DK :))

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I usually see windows in pictures of emeralds. I think this is part of the emerald cut, because you can have emerald round brilliants, marquis and Asschers and cushions without windows. However, I think that the inclusions and "sheen" can make windows not noticeable in person. That's also been my experience with ruby at times.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it common for emeralds to have windows/ light leakage?

and i know that the level of windows is all subjective and what i would call a concern may not be someone else's concern

just really wondering if windows on emeralds a common thing that ppl see.

Yes, any faceted transparent gem can have a windows. It’s pretty common in emeralds since they’re so valuable and often cut to retain weight rather than for beauty.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The flat bottom style is the classic.

There are exceptions - lighter, exceptionally clear, or both.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Ok so I need some help with my understanding of what I am seeing....
I think I have identified the window areas of these emeralds. These are being considered for studs in basket settings.

I really like the colour. I can get further imaging eg videos, but she has given me pics that I am sure thst I don’t need videos to know that there is / would be leakage.

appreciate any feedback.

C9360E3E-B4F5-4BD4-A531-7D9CD617E7E1.jpeg 3C5CB8CD-8C75-47E6-8E6D-81DA650D2D19.jpeg DE8378BF-6A65-4CA9-9C35-A490CA106CD3.jpeg

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Members from the CS sub-forum often suggest to view gems between fingers...maybe you could ask them to show you that?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results