shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom got this ring 20 years ago from a boyfriend I wouldn''t trust at all who gave it to her as an Emerald. Now, I think the gold nugget is real haha - but I''m wondering if there is any possibility the stone is. I know you can''t tell online, but if there are any ideas? I swear it used to be a richer yellower green way back when... and I think the ugly setting could possibly hide a flaw of some sort.... the stone measures (eyeball and ruler) about 7-7.5 by 5-5.5. The table is about 5x3 and that was much easier to measure.

I''ve recently learned that aquamarine and emerald are both beryl so it seems that this could be in that family - but I don''t know if it is yellow enough to truly be emerald. It isn''t cloudy really but it seems to have some sort of striations that makes me think maybe it is tourmaline? I dunno - I''m a real newbie at this... but I''d love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to make fun of the nugget setting LOL

cbemerald2.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
The table is very nicked.

cbemerald3.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regardless of what the stone actually is, the color is very pretty. It would be nice as a pendant maybe?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
blurry but good sense of color - boy I thought diamonds were hard, getting the color of gemstones is waaaay harder!!!

cbemerald4.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 1:34:10 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Regardless of what the stone actually is, the color is very pretty. It would be nice as a pendant maybe?
well.... emerald IS my birthstone... but I dunno if I can erase the karma from this thing LOL I really hated the ahole that gave it to her LOL But yeah it is kinda pretty.... I dunno... I''d be happy to dismantle this ring - I don''t even think nugget lovers would defend it LOL But I''ve not found an emerald shaped pendant I liked before. I tend to like rounds, pears, ovals... square and rectangular just isn''t a neck shape to me - maybe if it had some crazy flowy halo or something... but I was just thinking of maybe another ring. Maybe set east west... but its already so dinged up I really don''t think it would survive a day in the life of sara the destroyer LOL

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I can''t really see much from the pictures... but if you say it is clear/clean, and assuming this guy wasn''t really wealthy, it most likely isn''t a genuine emerald. Clean emeralds are very expensive (ie some sales from the tucson show of cleanish (not totally clean) emeralds in that size range $2k-4k/carat). Your opinion of the boyfriend also leads me to think it isn''t an emerald.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe dismantle it and sell it for scrap?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 1:43:55 PM
Author: riogems
I can''t really see much from the pictures... but if you say it is clear/clean, and assuming this guy wasn''t really wealthy, it most likely isn''t a genuine emerald. Clean emeralds are very expensive (ie some sales from the tucson show of cleanish (not totally clean) emeralds in that size range $2k-4k/carat). Your opinion of the boyfriend also leads me to think it isn''t an emerald.
No... he had money.... sort of... we lived in a house on top of a hill in san jose and had a rolls and 2 mercedes and tennis courts and 2 1/2 acres... BUT he was a sheister in the *truest* sense and was very shady - so it could go either way. It could be genuine, it could be fake. It could be something he pried off the pinky of a dead guy for all I know... it could have been a really bad stone, however genuine, set this way to hide the flaws... or it could be a beautiful stone in there... or it might not be real. Truly - it could be anything LOL He did really appreciate my mom at the time he gave it to her... he wasn''t all bad (I hope) but trust is something I never ever would afford him. This was also 20 years ago and I don''t know what an emerald that size would cost then. I think it was christmas 1985.

If the stone is actually worth anything, maybe resetting it will banish all of the icky feelings associated with it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
...looks like a tourmaline to me....but then what do I know?
1.gif

widget

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although you have alot of bad feelings for him the story behind the ring is very interesting for those of us not emotionally involved. Definately worth doing something with. Can you take it to a jeweler? There is one 30 min from me that can look at a loose stone and tell you what it is. The flaws are different in different stones. Anyone like that near you?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your new avatar!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m with widget....looks like a tourmaline but i''m not an expert on tourmalines or emeralds.

only a jeweler.....one who is an expert on color stones and not all are....will know.

movie zombie

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:45:06 PM
Author: movie zombie
i''m with widget....looks like a tourmaline but i''m not an expert on tourmalines or emeralds.

only a jeweler.....one who is an expert on color stones and not all are....will know.

movie zombie
I thought it looked like a tourmaline too LOL Really - I swear it had a richer yellower color way back when... the strangest thing! When I got it out today (Haven''t looked at it in many years) and cleaned it up I thought that maybe the color could be in the aquamarine family - but the lines in it look like tourmaline. I''ll see if I can get a better pic later, the sun has gone though and I relied on that. Maybe I''ll try outside where it is at least brighter.... and no I don''t know of any gem jewelers around here other than the one I went to for my ring ::sigh:: and I don''t want to go back there!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 1:43:55 PM
Author: riogems
I''ve been looking at this thing all day (can''t find my loupe ugh) and the pics and I wouldn''t say it is clear like glass is clear... but it isn''t the crayon green emeralds like the ones in *my* 16th gift ring. I hate stones that look like that - I got a ruby ring along the way that looks like that too and I just cannot stand that thick opaque waxy crayon look. This stone definitely doesn''t have *that* look but its hard to tell what is stuff going on in the stone and what is being reflected from the awful setting. I thought for a mintue there was a huge chunk out of a corner but it turned out to be the setting and a reflection... and it seems you can see the gold coming out from under it... ugh - I just want to take a hammer to this and bust out the stone. It seems to have too much richness to be just glass... and with this guy it is hard to tell if it is real and nice quality, or he *thought* it was real and got taken by one of his sheister pals, or he *knew* it was fake and got it anyway cause he''s an ass.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS could you delete this post and its way too big pic? I reposted it below - thanks :)

cbemerald5.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thought I''d add one more photo just for a good laugh at the nugget jewelry - almost posted this on the ugly thread in SMTR (goodness knows it qualifies) but figured this ring didn''t deserve to be in more than one thread LOL

cbemerald6.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
23.gif
Yikes!! IT''S ALIVE!!!!
32.gif
LOL

widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 2:07:46 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

If the stone is actually worth anything, maybe resetting it will banish all of the icky feelings associated with it.
I think this is what it boils down to for me... if there is a chance this stone has value, I will probably pursue finding that out - but if everyone seems fairly certain that it''s just flotsam, I''ll stick it back in the box and not think about it for another decade or so.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Cehra, I think it DOES deserve to be posted in the ugly ring hall of shame!!! Please put it there to preserve it''s memory.
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 7:37:26 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Oh, Cehra, I think it DOES deserve to be posted in the ugly ring hall of shame!!! Please put it there to preserve it''s memory.
9.gif
sometimes its better NOT to preserve a memory LOL!!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great setting!!
23.gif

I''m going to argue that it may be an emerald, I''ve seen ones that look like that. Looks like a lightly colored emerald. Although they are less valuable they often have less inclusions. Are the striations kind of whiteish looking?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 9:21:07 AM
Author: part gypsy
Great setting!!
23.gif

I''m going to argue that it may be an emerald, I''ve seen ones that look like that. Looks like a lightly colored emerald. Although they are less valuable they often have less inclusions. Are the striations kind of whiteish looking?
no... they''re kind of yellowish - like a greener color more maybe like we think of emerald but I''m wondering if they''re in the stone or if they''re reflections of the gold under the stone. I really want to pry this stone out of here LOL Even if the stone is crap it deserves better than this setting... and I was thinking I could make toe rings out of the gold so every step is like walking on the jerk LOL Its a pretty heavy ring - quite a bit of gold.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 6:06:38 PM
Thought I''d add one more photo just for a good laugh at the nugget jewelry - almost posted this on the ugly thread in SMTR (goodness knows it qualifies) but figured this ring didn''t deserve to be in more than one thread LOL
I think you should post it in SMTR...Was it a filling in the guy''s tooth???? Sorry to poke fun, Cehra, I couldn''t help it. I do like the stone. Maybe a good polish and a reset and it''d be good to go. i hear that resetting a stone breathes new life into it and takes away bad karma...OK so I didn''t hear that...I made it up...I just can''t stand for jewelry to no be reset into something wearable.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 6:36:24 PM
Author: Miranda

I think you should post it in SMTR...Was it a filling in the guy''s tooth???? Sorry to poke fun, Cehra, I couldn''t help it. I do like the stone. Maybe a good polish and a reset and it''d be good to go. i hear that resetting a stone breathes new life into it and takes away bad karma...OK so I didn''t hear that...I made it up...I just can''t stand for jewelry to no be reset into something wearable.
even if I *wanted* to wear it (which I totally don''t lol) the ring is so tiny it doesn''t even fit on my pinkie.

I am really leaning toward doing something with this but I have no idea what to do with it LOL You know, I''m sending my diamond to be appraised - I wonder if I can send this ring with it - at least save on shipping LOL

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 6:47:06 PM

Date: 2/10/2007 6:36:24 PM

Thought I'd add one more photo just for a good laugh at the nugget jewelry - almost posted this on the ugly thread in SMTR (goodness knows it qualifies) but figured this ring didn't deserve to be in more than one thread LOL
I think you should post it in SMTR...Was it a filling in the guy's tooth???? Sorry to poke fun, Cehra, I couldn't help it. I do like the stone. Maybe a good polish and a reset and it'd be good to go. i hear that resetting a stone breathes new life into it and takes away bad karma...OK so I didn't hear that...I made it up...I just can't stand for jewelry to no be reset into something wearable.
even if I *wanted* to wear it (which I totally don't lol) the ring is so tiny it doesn't even fit on my pinkie.

I am really leaning toward doing something with this but I have no idea what to do with it LOL You know, I'm sending my diamond to be appraised - I wonder if I can send this ring with it - at least save on shipping LOL
I'd send it with your stone. Most appraisers offer a discounted rate on a second piece/stone. Even if you didn't want a formal appraisal I'll bet they'd at least take a look and tell you what it is. How large is the stone? ETA nevermind...I went back and saw the size...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 7:04:40 PM
I''d send it with your stone. Most appraisers offer a discounted rate on a second piece/stone. Even if you didn''t want a formal appraisal I''ll bet they''d at least take a look and tell you what it is. How large is the stone? ETA nevermind...I went back and saw the size...
LOL I don''t know if this is big or not - I am sooooooo spoiled by my diamond. I have in my head that my gemstone rings need to be BIGGER than my diamond and this one isn''t and I know I''m being silly LOL Anyway, because of my head which isn''t screwed on straight, I keep thinking it''s a small stone but I don''t know what constitutes a small stone. Having an under 3 carat diamond can be considered small around here! lol

I wonder if appraisers can remove stones from their settings?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That setting... it''s really something isn''t it.

I vote for toumaline too... actually if it is a tourmaline, I really dig it. The stone. Not the setting.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2007 10:35:53 PM

I''d send it with your stone. Most appraisers offer a discounted rate on a second piece/stone. Even if you didn''t want a formal appraisal I''ll bet they''d at least take a look and tell you what it is. How large is the stone? ETA nevermind...I went back and saw the size...
LOL I don''t know if this is big or not - I am sooooooo spoiled by my diamond. I have in my head that my gemstone rings need to be BIGGER than my diamond and this one isn''t and I know I''m being silly LOL Anyway, because of my head which isn''t screwed on straight, I keep thinking it''s a small stone but I don''t know what constitutes a small stone. Having an under 3 carat diamond can be considered small around here! lol

I feel the same way about colored stones...Like they should only be 4 cts or larger. I have a 1.07 sapphire that I only think is OK because I want it to be HUGE.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 2:44:21 PM

Date: 2/10/2007 10:35:53 PM

I feel the same way about colored stones...Like they should only be 4 cts or larger. I have a 1.07 sapphire that I only think is OK because I want it to be HUGE.
My mom loved buying jewelry she saw on tv.... and when she died I inherited it.... omg I won''t get into some of it -it''s just.... I have two ruby and diamond rings that are just... almost identical and neither is what I would ever buy or wear and I''ve come recently to LIKE rubies - if they''re singular, huge, and gorgeous vs multiple, cheap, and thick looking LOL

But she did get a couple things I like... here''s one - I have NO IDEA what it is... but it''s big and I kinda like it - it''s not what I would design on my own but it''s... kinda quirky cute I think.

cbmysterystone1.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's another big stone of hers... no clue what it is... but it's kinda color changey - it's very violet red in sun but sometimes inside it gets a dusky greyish purple, more plum colored... anyway no clue what it is, and what's up with the gold nuggety ring again? LMAO!!! Poor mom, stuck in the leisure suit era
39.gif
Actually this ring doesn't offend me enough not to wear it like the emerald ring - that thing is just hideous.

I wish I knew what these things were but I don't know that it really matters... except the possible emerald ring... because if it does have value it deserves to be wearable.

this ring really needs to be repolished though, it's sooo scuffed up. I've worn this one a bit over the years and I'm so hard on rings.... yikes! Good thing you can't tell in person LOL

cbmysterystone2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results