shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Shape

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

billv45

Rough_Rock
I searched the archives and there are quite a few threads on emerald cut diamonds but most are concerning their ratio. I have a question about their actual shape and not their length to width ratio. Are there any differences in emerald cuts? Is a stepped emerald cut different from a emerald cut? What are all the kinds of emerald cuts and where can I find examples? My GF, who once wanted a heart diamond as you may remember, now is leaning to an emerald cut but doesn''t like the ends to be too sparkly. I know, I know, she also likes "real" jewlery that is so nice and perfect or big that it looks fake! Is there a term for the corner facets of an emerald? You know the knocked off corners. I think she wants one in which these facets are smaller and the end is more squared off and does not look like three sided. Is there a way to determine this by a diamonds specs like when browsing pricescope?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
This is just a guess, but maybe if I'm off enough one of the experts will step in!
2.gif

If she wants the ends less sparkly, go for a larger table. It's actually pretty easy to find emeralds with tables from 75% and higher. Go for an 80% table if you can. That way, you'll get a more flat look. It may not be as well-cut, but then you'd probably save on the cut quality as well.

billv45

Rough_Rock
Thanks, and I agree with you about going for a larger table. I'm all for saving a buck or two to quote Bradshaw. My GF is trying to metally match a stone she seen that was really clear and didn't have "all the sparkle in the ends." I was thinking this must have been a stone with small corner facets (I wish someone would let me know what they are called!) or she saw some "other" kind of emerald cut. Is there a prism cut? (JK BTW)

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
Billv45,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're GF needs to get a grip! Although this is a very important purchase, you should not lose sleep over it. As for emerald cuts, I just bought one. The L/W ratio was @ 1.3. However, the corners resembled that of an Ascher cut, which is more square like. Not sure if the ends would be too sparkly for her! Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results