clarity

Emerald ring opinions

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
How do you judge this ring?

High res photo

1.4ct Zambian emerald
0.6ct diamonds

The color of the emerald is quite similar to that on the two high resolutions close-up photos, maybe a little greener.

The emerald is very brilliant.

The cut is a little shallow, I think, I can see a little black band on the central part.

What are yout thoughts?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find Zambians look more like chrome tourmaline than emerald. It’s a pretty stone, but I don’t see any of the intense green or glow that typical emeralds have. I don’t like emeralds for brilliance, but for deep vivid slightly bluish green saturation and glow. This glow is caused by microscopic inclusions that make fine emerald look like satin. JMO.

Last edited:

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Looks like there's a similar style EC emerald coming up for sale on IG later today - I saw it on Dolly's stories this morning -- in case you wanted to do some comparisons?

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
@mjea I am interested in comparison, but how exactly that site works? Where can I see the emerald?

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
@T L
In fact is exactly what I like. I like (love) the velvety green, I like the green that resemble fresh grass or lushious jungle, so I am constantly thinking... Do I like this ring or not? This has no glow, only brilliance. The color is beatiful, but on the "too much dark green and transparent" side. Under some light, for example on sun shadow, it is a bit more interesting, but when you look at it directly, I feel that I am missing something important. But now, my big problem is that I can't change it for a refund, but only, maybe, I could change it for something different.... What to do? Leave it with hope that in future I could fall in love with it, or change it now and forget it?

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I have seen other gems... But is it an auction? How does she sell?

I think you can message her once she posts the specs of this particular piece if you’re interested and for purchasing I think she might use Etsy or PayPal.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L
In fact is exactly what I like. I like (love) the velvety green, I like the green that resemble fresh grass or lushious jungle, so I am constantly thinking... Do I like this ring or not? This has no glow, only brilliance. The color is beatiful, but on the "too much dark green and transparent" side. Under some light, for example on sun shadow, it is a bit more interesting, but when you look at it directly, I feel that I am missing something important. But now, my big problem is that I can't change it for a refund, but only, maybe, I could change it for something different.... What to do? Leave it with hope that in future I could fall in love with it, or change it now and forget it?

Do they have Columbian material?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Actually I am going to be the dissenting opinion but I am smitten by it. I find it absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of my very deep colored Panjshir. They are completely different from Colombian material as I own both. I too prefer the Colombian glow but the color of my Panjshir is unparalelled. Some might call it too flat but it’s a collector emerald and the emerald that got me to fall head over heels for emeralds. They are so subjective like CS in general. As to the glow, it is the fluorescence of Colombian material that others do not have that creates the extra glow in addition to the inclusions. Generally speaking I am not a fan of most Zambian material but do like this one.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Afghani emerald are more like Columbian, in terms of color and glow. At least that’s what many say that own them.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Similar yet different. Dealers even mistook mine for Colombian. I find them quite different perhaps because I have studied what I own so much? I was going to say TL you will say Panjshir is too flat?:))) It could be because it is just so dark and saturated, much much more color than any Colombian I own. But very glowy Colombians glow more in my opinion. And yes I know I could own better colored Colombian still. One day. I need to save a lot for that.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Similar yet different. Dealers even mistook mine for Colombian. I find them quite different perhaps because I have studied what I own so much? I was going to say TL you will say Panjshir is too flat?:))) It could be because it is just so dark and saturated, much much more color than any Colombian I own. But very glowy Colombians glow more in my opinion. And yes I know I could own better colored Colombian still. One day. I need to save a lot for that.

I have not seen any Afghani emeralds in person, as I have Zambians, but many Pricescope members attest to their beauty and glowy qualities. They do not look flat in photos. I would say, from photos, they remind me of some Chivor stones.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Really? You mean Panjshir tend to look like Chivor? Not mine. Much more green and way deeper colored. But my Panjshir is vintage material from the 70’s. I guess also within each region there is a lot of variation. I adore Chivor stones BTW, really crazy about their color. Not saying Afghani are flat just different. Zambian often appear flat comparatively from what you have seen. Perhaps I am wrong as OP’s emerald does blacken out a bit and tends to look flatter but I did not dislike it that’s all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really? You mean Panjshir tend to look like Chivor?
I’m not saying definitively, but from photos, that’s what they remind me of. They tend to be medium to light toned and more bluish greenish, like Chivor, Muzo tend to be more pure green and darker in tone.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mine is very very dark and saturated with just a slight hint of blue. I do really love clean glowy Chivor material though. It is more me than the trade ideal color I think although I do greatly appreciate trade ideal and want a Colombian in that shade as well.

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
I have added 4 photos to album ...

In external with sun (but taken in shadow), two near the window with couldy sky and one in intern that shows the "real" colour.

My first BIG problem however is that it is "sparly" but don't have "glow". Both from all the facts said by @T L because it lacks internal "silk", but also it ha no visible flaws, so the light is not randomly scattered but too uniform!

The other minor problem, but however a problem, is that the colour is always different changing with light, I would insted prefear an emerald that mantains its colour no matter what!

What do you think?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other minor problem, but however a problem, is that the colour is always different changing with light, I would insted prefear an emerald that mantains its colour no matter what!

What do you think?
Confused, it’s always green in all lighting. Are you saying it gets less saturated in certain lighting?

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
Confused, it’s always green in all lighting. Are you saying it gets less saturated in certain lighting?

Yes, above all when there is sun light and cloudy it is less saturated, it is glass-like and I don't like it.

But that could also be because the emerald is very very transparent , so it has some windowing and so some light doesn't get reflected back.

However all this is a problem related to price/quality. If I had paid 1k for these i would be very very satisfied, but having paid x4 times not so.much!

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
However that is the minor problem, ai could live with that different saturation/color

But can I live without glow and silk inside??? Or after some time I get bored of it???

(PS from another source I have seen a 5ct colombian emerald ring of stunning beauty, with glow and intricacies inside, it was 25k, ouch!!! ... I never ever get bored of watching at it)
My ring instead don't make me wanting to watch at it every minute... Could you understand?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you are unhappy, and there’s no way to get a refund???

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
It sounds like you are unhappy, and there’s no way to get a refund???

I have bought from a jewelry I don't think he will give money back

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought from a jewelry I don't think he will give money back

Can you exchange it for something else?

In future, make sure the dealer has a reasonable return policy. I’m sorry for your disappointment. Maybe someone else can give you better advice on how to secure a refund or partial refund.

Last edited:

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
I can exchange for something different, at this point I think for some plain gold and diamonds... All the jewelers have a "no return" policy, because you buy personally and so you see what you get. Of course if they think they are losing a potentially good client they could also refund but it's difficult

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can exchange for something different, at this point I think for some plain gold and diamonds... All the jewelers have a "no return" policy, because you buy personally and so you see what you get. Of course if they think they are losing a potentially good client they could also refund but it's difficult

If it makes you feel better, I was at Tiffany and Co., and they have this clean but flat looking Zambian emerald ring with the same size stone, and a much bigger window, and two small trap diamonds for $30k. I know it’s Tiffany, but seriously?!!! At least you didn’t overpay. Did you get a fabulous deal? I don’t know, but at least you paid a fair price IMO.

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
@T L I have thought a lot about the Tiffany's story...
Of course that makes me feel a little better, I could easily imagine that if this same ring was sold at Tiffany it could be a x5 price.

However, for this ring I have not paid a so little price (4k), considering that it has a jewelry brand name and I have paid for it (if the ring was a no-brand I think I could have paid some 2-3k)

So, at last, I haven't yet decided if to change it or not!

Now, I have been able to do a live comparison with a "similar" Columbian emerald ring, in the same carat and price range.

I share a photo, taken in the best possible setting (jewelry light!)

Confronto  Zambia-Colombian.png

What are you impression of the comparison?

What could I watch more, to make a decision?

Important note:
Consider that, live, Zambia color and appearance is quite similar to what has been captured in photo:

Photo is 8/10 accurate for color (a little darker live),
and 9/10 accurate of brilliancy,
so live it is a 10-15% more beautiful

Colombian color in photo is captured as 6/10
(live it has a more vivid green color, it has "more green" inside, it has a deeper cut )

Brilliancy is 8/10

It has quite some inclusion, however, that a bit detracts from the beauty of the stone.
For a columbian I think it could be more lively, but however it is quite an impressive ring.

So, ultimately, the Colombian is 30-40% more beautiful live that in photo.

(These considerations, I repeat, applies in jewerly light, where the Zambia looks a lot better that in sunlight. I don't know ho the Columbian could be in sunlight, and so how an honest comparison could be in a every day situation)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colombian emeralds are notoriously difficult to get accurate photos of, so for me, it’s too difficult to compare with the photo. However, in considering a Colombian emerald, you must always find out how much clarity enhancement it has abd what type. That significantly affects the price and stability of the enhancement. If it’s highly included, it may have significant treatment, whereas the Zambian does not.

if treatment is minor with excellent stability, I would always go for the better color (Colombian).

@T L I have thought a lot about the Tiffany's story...
Of course that makes me feel a little better, I could easily imagine that if this same ring was sold at Tiffany it could be a x5 price.

However, for this ring I have not paid a so little price (4k), considering that it has a jewelry brand name and I have paid for it (if the ring was a no-brand I think I could have paid some 2-3k)

So, at last, I haven't yet decided if to change it or not!

Now, I have been able to do a live comparison with a "similar" Columbian emerald ring, in the same carat and price range.

I share a photo, taken in the best possible setting (jewelry light!)

Confronto  Zambia-Colombian.png

What are you impression of the comparison?

What could I watch more, to make a decision?

Important note:
Consider that, live, Zambia color and appearance is quite similar to what has been captured in photo:

Photo is 8/10 accurate for color (a little darker live),
and 9/10 accurate of brilliancy,
so live it is a 10-15% more beautiful

Colombian color in photo is captured as 6/10
(live it has a more vivid green color, it has "more green" inside, it has a deeper cut )

Brilliancy is 8/10

It has quite some inclusion, however, that a bit detracts from the beauty of the stone.
For a columbian I think it could be more lively, but however it is quite an impressive ring.

So, ultimately, the Colombian is 30-40% more beautiful live that in photo.

(These considerations, I repeat, applies in jewerly light, where the Zambia looks a lot better that in sunlight. I don't know ho the Columbian could be in sunlight, and so how an honest comparison could be in a every day situation)

Unfortunately I can't seem to open your photos because they are through google photos. So I need to sign in and attach my email address to viewing.

However looking at this photo, I prefer the lower ring (with the more square emerald). I love the lushness of that green and I don't like very light/bluish-green emeralds. I also don't know anything about emeralds so I don't know if I picked the Zambian or the Colombian or what. But my two cents are the ring towards the lower half of the picture is the prettier one :)

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I actually really like this. It so brilliant and clean. Unusual for an emerald. I’m usually a fan of the glowy type myself but there is something about this ring that really appeals to me. I’d keep it.

Andrew Red

Rough_Rock
For the inclusion in colombian emerald I can only say that they are of brownish color, for that I don't like... If they were of the same or another green hue they would have been more appealing to me.

Confronting now the photo I posted with the real zambia ring, I must say that in real it is two stop more on the green side. So quite beautiful color (on alogen light). BUT that also means that the colombian has an outstanding color!

The zambian emerald is very transparent and clean, with a very very small inclusion point like in the face, and other tiny strips inclusion only visibile with lens or with a macro photograph.

The colombian emerald on the other side has very noticeable inclusions, and a minor opaque graysh strip on the upper side, that seems that it is "dirty". It is barely noticeable in photo, a bit more noticeable in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results