shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Ring - Anniversary Upgrade and Recycling Project

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,
I really enjoy recycling jewelry that I'm not wearing so much anymore into things that I will love and will wear all the time. It's a hobby of mine and I like being creative with my gemstones. I had these approx .68ctw Asscher diamond studs (G, VVS2) that I thought were kind of small for diamond stud earrings and this 1.45 carat emerald-cut Columbian emerald pendant that I never wore that was just languishing in my jewelry box. My husband actually was the one who first suggested that they be recombined into a ring. I'm definitely a "ring person."
I worked with a very talented artist to have these stones set into a new platinum ring. I wanted an organic, sort of ivy-like feel to the ring setting and preferred a "trellis" type setting over a basket for the purposes of this ring. He hand-carved the wax and made a very organic-feeling ring, incorporating my emerald, the 2 Asscher earrings, and 26 of the melee from my original emerald pendant into this new ring. (Only 4 of the melee from the original pendant didn't make it into the ring - they didn't fit.) Otherwise, everything was reincorporated.
My DH and I will be celebrating our 8th anniversary in August and while I always had an idea that I'd get a 10 year anniversary upgrade ring - well, what do you know - this one came early and will more than happily satisfy that role as the "upgrade ring!!!"
Picture time! Here are my originals - earrings and pendant. Fine, but just not doing it for me anymore. Here are the "Before" photos:

AsscherEarrings.jpg

Emerald.jpg

Emerald_OriginalSettings.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hand-carved wax:

EmeraldWax_1.jpg

EmeraldWax_2.jpg

EmeraldWax_3.jpg

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
The Finished Ring

Platinum, size 5ish (it's a tight size 5 so it fits my right and my left)

Finished.jpg

EmeraldRing_Overview.jpg

EmeraldRing_TopView.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I love the new ring design... posted before you posted the new pics, so I deleted what I wrote - GORGEOUS!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Side views. It is very difficult for me to get nice pictures of the "ivy" on the sides. This is the best I could do. It looks much better, IRL.

EmeraldRing_Profile.jpg

Emerald_IvySide.jpg

EmeraldRing_SideView.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
What a great recycle project. I love that organic design. And happy 8th anniversary!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Slightly better photo of the "ivy" on the sides.

Side.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful emerald ring, and very unique too in its organic, yet classic feel. Congratulations on your anniversary.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzigrrl, it's beautiful! It's definitely much more unique than the earrings and necklace were. I love the organic motif and the way the prongs look like tendrils of ivy reaching out to ensnare the stones.

Congrats on your anniversary!

Also, you should probably post a picture of the ring with your bunny. *nodnod*

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Colorluvr- thanks! I think it's a successful remodeling job!

Kismet - I've never had anything organic-looking before, so I thought it would be a good time to try it out.

TL- I appreciate the compliment and I, too, am glad that it still reads as having a somewhat Classic design while it's organic as well.

Distracts - Here's Oliver Rabbit modeling. You can see my Ethiopian opal pendant in the photo, too! (a little blurry)

EmeraldSun.jpg

Bunny.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is lovely and so much nicer than having a generic pendant and earrings! Would you care to share the craftsperson's name?

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Minous - Stephen Hollis, also of Aurum Studios, Athens, GA

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just stopped by for another look. :love: :wavey: I just noticed - are those melee in the shank, in between the wonderful twists? Very creative, definitely original!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your emerald ring is gorgeous! I love the design of the setting and it looks lovely on your hand.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic ring. Beautiful stone, very interesting design. It is noticeable, I am sure you get many compliments on it.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
That is a beautiful ring! And quite an upgrade for your emerald - from a slightly anonymous pendant to a glamourous ring! At 1.45 carats, it's a fairly large stone (emerald being a light stone - a 1.45 zircon would be small), and it has a perfect "big" size for your hand.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the new ring, Tanzigirl!!!!! :love: :love: :love:

I'm seriously partial to anything 3 stone and trellis... and lookey lookey --- both my favourites are in your ring! Its stunning - I love the design on the shank - so flowy (is that a real word or a PS word??) and the use of the melee is perfect there. Enjoy that beauty - its awesome! Congrats on the 8 years too!

Lilia

Rough_Rock
Trade
I am usually a lurker here, but this ring made me come out. This is simply stunning.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH, that turned out incredibly well. I think you were wise to put them together in a ring. Beautiful!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Here's another photo of my emerald ring out in sun on this warm, sunny birthday of mine. =)

Minous, I'm also hoping that this photo will better showcase the melee on the sides. The "ivy" contains 13 melee diamonds on each side of the ring, going down the shoulders, for a total of 26 diamonds. It covers about 3/4 or so of the outer shank. It's exceptionally hard to photograph. I've done about all I can. I need Kenny and his macro lens!

LisaRN- thanks so much! It's surprisingly comfortable to wear, too. Some rings aren't but this one just "fits."

Arkteia - I was staring at my hand at Lowe's today - hardware store lights are the best. I've only seen a few friends since I picked it up the other day, but they did all notice the new addition, immediately.

Kim Bruun- thanks! I was worried about it looking "too small." I'm used to quite large CS rings, so with a somewhat smaller than my usual sized stone, I was a little concerned. Telling me it looks big is a huge compliment in my emerald's case.

Enerchi - I love organic and trellis settings. I had him combine the two. I was making odd hand gestures to show how I wanted the interwoven ivy and the trellis to look and I'm sure others in the design studio must have thought I was out of my mind. Worth it though, he interpreted into platinum what I gesticulated with my hands.

Lilia - huge compliment - you came out of lurking for my ring. Given the stunners on this site, that is an enormous compliment. Thank you so much!!!

bright ice - I just didn't love the earrings and pendant enough and as a result almost never wore them. Like others mentioned, I went from having a generic pendant and earrings to something one of a kind and original. Even the stones are now more significant to me.

EmeraldOutsideSun.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy birthday!! And anniversary! I LOVE that ring - everything about it. Great idea, perfect execution. :appl: :love: :appl: :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a definite WOW!!! You should post it on SMTB too! Where did you originally get the emerald from? Very very cool ring. Enjoy and congrats!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
You can see a little bit of the fire from the melee in this shot.

NKOTB - thank you! The idea and execution are the artist's. I pretty much knew I wanted my pendant and earring stones turned into a ring - but that's about is creative as I get. I suggested an organic theme, too. Otherwise, the credit is all his.

motownmama- thanks! The Columbian emerald pendant was purchased a couple of years ago in a B&M jewelry store at 50% off when my DH and I were traveling. I saw it through the shop window, walked in and bought it, which is rather unlike me. Meant to be, I suppose.

MeleeShot.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzigrrl|1339780468|3217012 said:
Distracts - Here's Oliver Rabbit modeling. You can see my Ethiopian opal pendant in the photo, too! (a little blurry)

Bun+bling = the best kind of pictures!

and lol do not worry about it looking small - it looks HUGE!

missk8

Rough_Rock
Love that color. Emeralds are the best! The stone works better as a ring that it did the pendant, much more attention grabbing.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
distracts - bun and bling photos are definitely the best

missk8 - thanks so much. I'm just so much more a "ring" person than I am a pendant person and this ring is more interesting to me because it isn't the standard pendant mount design.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results