shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Recut?

CCMM2019

Rough_Rock
My husband recently surprised me with a large (to me - 4 carat) EC ring, and I truly do love it. It's beautiful to my eye and I've received lots of compliments from friends and strangers, but I know more about diamond cut than my husband does (and to him the performance differences aren't noticeable, he just pays attention to the other C's) and I know that it has an enormous table very low crown angle, and that it could look better with more ideal proportions. I love it anyway and I'm not going to suggest trading it in or anything like that, but I'm wondering if it would be a good candidate for a re-cut without losing a ton of weight. I really know nothing about how a recut would work, but to me it seems like you could just "shave" the crown on each side to create a better angle and smaller table. That probably sounds very dumb to educated people, lol, but does anyone know if this is a reasonable option, or should i just get this idea out of my head and go on enjoying the diamond as is? I did mention to him that I may want to reset it with step cut traps eventually, so was thinking maybe I could do a recut at the same time so as not to hurt his feelings.

Thanks for any advice! Picture below (please no negative comments if you don't like the stone--they will stick in my head and I'll drive myself crazy:twirl: Ring.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would contact a recutter directly. Southwest diamond cutters are amazing. They'll know whether your stone is a good candidate or not. We can't tell, unfortunately

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you feel it lacks sparkle or something when you look at it or is this more of a mind clean thing? Is it natural or lab? Answers would affect my advice.

CCMM2019

Rough_Rock
Do you feel it lacks sparkle or something when you look at it or is this more of a mind clean thing? Is it natural or lab? Answers would affect my advice.

It's natural. And it's really more of a mind clean thing, I think. To me it's very sparkly, but also like I'd prefer it to have a little more of a pillowy look if that makes sense, especially if I wanted to reset with trapezoids (and I do think it would sparkle more with a smaller table, but in reality I don't know that).

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's natural. And it's really more of a mind clean thing, I think. To me it's very sparkly, but also like I'd prefer it to have a little more of a pillowy look if that makes sense, especially if I wanted to reset with trapezoids (and I do think it would sparkle more with a smaller table, but in reality I don't know that).

Can you attach a vidro of the stone moving slowly? Or even a still pic face on?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with a large table and a low crown that its probably not a good candidate for a recut...but lets get an expert's opinion.
@Karl_K what do you think?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So a recut could be very very very costly especially if it dips below the 4ct mark. That’s pretty risky!

Ditto seeing some video to be able to evaluate cut quality … but you said you don’t want any critique so maybe don’t post them! Instead you could just reach out directly to the cutters mentioned above and inquire. We can’t tell you much you don’t already know.

CCMM2019

Rough_Rock
So a recut could be very very very costly especially if it dips below the 4ct mark. That’s pretty risky!

Ditto seeing some video to be able to evaluate cut quality … but you said you don’t want any critique so maybe don’t post them! Instead you could just reach out directly to the cutters mentioned above and inquire. We can’t tell you much you don’t already know.

Good point, thank you :) But yeah, I mean, I know it's not an amazing cut (just don't need to hear that from anyone but myself, lol), but you're right, I should probably just reach out to an expert.

Is Southwest who most PSers would recommend?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point, thank you :) But yeah, I mean, I know it's not an amazing cut (just don't need to hear that from anyone but myself, lol), but you're right, I should probably just reach out to an expert.

Is Southwest who most PSers would recommend?

I've used Southwest Diamond Cutters and highly recommend them.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just had a shattered tooth removed and 3 more so excuse typoos
No EC is a good candidate for a recut.
The cutters experienced with cutting kicking ECs are generally not interested in doing recuts.
Mainly because it usually involves treating the stone as rough and cut a new stone from it. Huge weight loss.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well there you go!

I recommend taking some lovely photos and video and making a thread in Show me the Bling! I know many of us would love to admire your ring and offer compliments :)

CCMM2019

Rough_Rock
The cutters experienced with cutting kicking ECs are generally not interested in doing recuts.
Mainly because it usually involves treating the stone as rough and cut a new stone from it. Huge weight loss.

Thank you that is good to know!

CCMM2019

Rough_Rock
Well there you go!

I recommend taking some lovely photos and video and making a thread in Show me the Bling! I know many of us would love to admire your ring and offer compliments :)

Thank you! I've been looking around online, and I actually think it is a Carre cut vs. a standard EC. It doesn't have clipped corners, and the facets look exactly like some rings I found on Instagram and for sale on 1stDibs that were described as "Carre Style Emerald Cuts". Anyway, it really is beautiful and I will try to work on my photo skills and make a SMTR post :)

You guys have been great, thanks again! r2.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I've been looking around online, and I actually think it is a Carre cut vs. a standard EC. It doesn't have clipped corners, and the facets look exactly like some rings I found on Instagram and for sale on 1stDibs that were described as "Carre Style Emerald Cuts". Anyway, it really is beautiful and I will try to work on my photo skills and make a SMTR post :)

You guys have been great, thanks again! r2.jpg

Omg I love this so much as it is! I can see how it might be even more epic with step cut traps, but I wouldn't change a thing about the cut

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ps. If I were you I'd probably reset to something like this:

Or

I love love love 5 stones with step cuts

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my!!! That is definitely not your average emerald cut. Is it antique? Where did your husband find it? Does it have a lab report showing its proportions of giving it a name?? And what color is it? There is a lovely warm glow in the images.

I need one million more photos please!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock

Karl, that's grim. Hope you heal quickly.

ALH

Rough_Rock
oh my!!! That is definitely not your average emerald cut. Is it antique? Where did your husband find it? Does it have a lab report showing its proportions of giving it a name?? And what color is it? There is a lovely warm glow in the images.

I second these questions! I love your stone - so unique!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a beauty!

CCMM2019

Rough_Rock

My husband has a good friend who used to be in the jewelry business and still has a connection to a jewelry store/former pawn shop owner who gives him a heads up if anything good comes through (it’s pretty awesome!). The GIA says Emerald, and the diagram has clipped corners, but this definitely doesn’t, and it doesn’t seem to have as many facets as a normal emerald so, although my husband and I were both floored by it, I could tell it wasn’t a standard emerald and got worried, since I just don’t know anything about step cuts, that it was a “flat top” (description I read here).

It’s a K! I love the warmth it has, but really in most light it looks completely white to me!

Last edited:

CCMM2019

Rough_Rock
Why would you even touch this? It's gorgeous and unique. I'd love to know where it came from.

I answered in my reply below! I overthink everything , but you’re right, it is definitely something I’ve never seen before and I love it!

I’ve been a PS lurker on and off for like 15 years, but my husband eschews my concern for cut quality at every turn, and while I’ve learned to not look a gift horse in the mouth, I’ve seen so many threads about “dead” or “cut glass” step cuts, I just don’t trust my own eye I guess!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
have you seen it loose? Looking at your photos it looks like there is just the teensiest hint of a windmill? Am I imagining that?

I searched PS and there was only one other large Carre cut, an almost 3ct antique. Yours almost looks like a hybrid with its length. And it really must be an antique. It is such a rare cut in these large sizes — apparently it was popularized in the art deco era. I cannot imagine a modern cutter just whipping up a 4ct Carre cut on a whim! And being a K is consistent with that too as so many oldies are warmer. I love the color in the pictures you posted.

I would love for you to have a setting made by single stone or another vendor who knows the history of these diamonds! I sure want to know more! Cherish it! What a treasure.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Its an EC or Rectangular step cut* if i does not have cut corners.
Need more of a face up pic to tell for sure.
If its an Ec its very close to a Rectangular step cut.*
I can tell that much vegged out on the couch.
What does the report say?

*Rectangular step cut is basically an EC without the cut corners and no windmills. It predates the EC.

CCMM2019

Rough_Rock
Ps. If I were you I'd probably reset to something like this:

[URL unfurl="true"
Its an EC or Rectangular step cut* if i does not have cut corners.
Need more of a face up pic to tell for sure.
If its an Ec its very close to a Rectangular step cut.*
I can tell that much vegged out on the couch.
What does the report say?

*Rectangular step cut is basically an EC without the cut corners and no windmills. It predates the EC.

[/URL]

Or

I love love love 5 stones with step cuts

The report says Emerald. I haven't seen it loose, but the table definitely has 90 degree angles, and from what I can tell, an EC's table would mirror the actual corners and be clipped, right?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
This has been up for a while, but want to pile on and say it is beautiful and unique!
You're a lucky owner.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock

Please don't recut this. That a gorgeous stone - I think a recut would take away all the character. That is fantastic light performance in that photo. A recut would quite possibly make it perform more poorly as the emerald cut isn't typically that well performing

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results