carat
color
clarity

Emerald Priceguide

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Found this link.

https://awesomegems.com/emerald-priceguide.html

I am wondering how much each $/ct has been inflated since info is provided by a vendor? The prices also don't distinguish between certified and non-certed emeralds.

I am not looking to buy their gems, but this company is 1 of the few online sellers that label the inventories using the GIA color abbreviation/scale, kind of interesting...just wanted to share with you.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate constantly banging my drum on this, but I wouldn’t buy an expensive emerald without some sort of AGL lab report.

Things you should know about an expensive emerald:

1). Not only the treatment, but the kind (“oil” does not suffice), and the amount (none, faint, moderate, significant) and stability.

2) Origin - Columbia is a premium although some new locations are producing beautiful stones.

3) Color grade - yes, this is the most important aspect of any colored gem.

While cutting isn’t as important for emeralds as it is for other gems, you want to make sure that it’s not so deep that the face up is small for its carat weight.

While I know absolutely nothing about this company, I really don’t trust vendor gradings on their own highly expensive gems. I like a lab to make an objective opinion. I don’t care if they’re using GIA terms either. I could sell you a ruby that looks like a pyrope garnet and say it’s vivid red. That’s not to say vendors shouldn’t be trusted, but I just would prefer an outside grading for obvious reasons. Do I care about this so much in less expensive gems? No, I do not, but expensive diamonds, emeralds. rubies, alexandrite, sapphires and fine red spinels, yes.

As for pricing, that changed so much for the big four gems, it’s hard to ascertain unless you show an example. Maybe more people can comment then.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've ogled their stones but found pricing inflated. Agree with TL on emerald treatment.

1. What oil is used?
2. How much oil was used aka level of treatment?
3. I'm less fussed on origin but do find that colour tends to be better from specific mines.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L, well How about this one? From Ivy and Rose and comes with AGL cert. If I was in the market for a heirloom Emerald, I would consider this one and ask for more pictures in various lighting and a video! What do you all think? https://www.etsy.com/listing/649336...h_query=Emerald&ref=shop_items_search_3&frs=1

-C4C
That’s a pretty stone, and note it’s Zambian, not Columbian. I wish they had a full grading report because I cannot see the color quality, unless that part is cut off in the photo. It does have minor treatment, which is good. I would also inquire about surface fissures, especially on the table. That being said, the price seems fair, and I think it’s worth a look, I would just carefully check their return policy, and make sure they have an A+ with the BBB.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
I saw this $17,000 emerald up close when I visited Ivy & Rose in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. I pop in there occasionally when I’m in the diamond district. Anyway, I think it looks MUCH better in the photos than IRL :(2

Keep in mind that I’m not much of a mined emerald person though. I find most of them look “meh” for their prices.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
@Batgirl76 do tell more about why it looks not as great to you pls? Is it more “quite” looking like the picture on the AGL cert?

It has been a favorite of many CS lovers on PS and I was sure that it looked fab in real life! I wonder if it looks lively only under certain light setting...

Did you take picture of it?

Thanks

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
I didn’t take photos, sorry. I looked at it on a piece of folded white paper in the store’s lighting. Not near any windows/natural light. The stone didn’t glow like I thought it would. It looked kind of flat, and the inclusion pattern didn’t appeal to me.

Sorry I can’t be more specific, but I’m not remotely an expert.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I don't think we need to be an expert to like it.

I remember either Geoffrey Munn or John Benjamin from the UK Antiques Roadshow once said that gem should be attractive enough that you want to eat it like a piece of hard candy! If the emerald looks good, it should please the eyes.

Thanks for sharing your thought with us.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t take photos, sorry. I looked at it on a piece of folded white paper in the store’s lighting. Not near any windows/natural light. The stone didn’t glow like I thought it would. It looked kind of flat, and the inclusion pattern didn’t appeal to me.

Sorry I can’t be more specific, but I’m not remotely an expert.

I think I know what you mean when you call the emerald “flat.” I’m an admitted emerald snob, and for me, there’s nothing like the finest Colombian emeralds, and this is why.

https://www.gia.edu/doc/Gota-de-Aceite_-Nomenclature-for-the-Finest-Colombian-Emeralds.pdf

Fine emeralds should glow in jewelry store lighting. Their lighting is typically set up to bring out the brilliance in diamonds, but fine emeralds look satiny and the most amazing vivid green you ever saw in that lighting if they are gota-de-aceite ones.

If one doesn’t care about this kind of attribute, tsavorite garnet is a beautiful and often less expensive alternative to emerald. It’s just more expensive in sizes 3+ carats. It’s also typically untreated, cleaner, and if buying from a reputable dealer, a minor lab report will suffice, if at all. Just putting that out there if the emerald hunt isn’t going too well.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results