shape
carat
color
clarity

emerald or cushion cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Help!

My b-friend and I are starting to look at rings and I am so indecisive. I love the emeralds- but it seems that you have to buy big to make a statement, and since we are on a budget it may not work. It also seems like they are more expensive in general than the other cuts. On the other hand, I love the cushion, and they seem to be more reasonable. I know its a matter of personal preference, but help! I dont know!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Cushion, cushion, cushion! Emeralds are pretty, but they lack the fire of other cuts. I LOVE emerald cuts on gems, but for a diamond I think other cuts look better. Just my opinion!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

I''m an EC fan. ECs should *not* be more expensive than other shapes; in fact they''re the least expensive of the common shapes. I''m surprised you''re seeing the opposite.

Mine is a .82 and personally I think it looks pretty good even for its small size.

I like cushions as well, but I lean toward antique cushions instead of modern ones.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I love the antique looking cushions too- but I am just so confused at this point- I can never make decisions! I know I dont want a round or a princess. I like them, but not for me. I always have liked the antique look, but I also like more modern ones, like a emerald with tapered baguettes. I just dont know how I am going to make a final decision...

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried different rings on with stones/settings that fit your budget? That REALLY makes a difference. You may find that you want a bigger or smaller stone, or that one just speaks to you more.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
yes, and I just like them both. But it seems that with the emerald, I would prefer a larger stone, therefore not in our price range....with another cut I feel like I could get away with a smaller stone...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Just continue looking. Eventually one will start moving into the lead!

michela002

Shiny_Rock

If you only like the emerald cut in larger sizes, have you though about a three-stone emerald cut ring?

i.e. Ths one is Tiffanys, there are soooo many out there though:

engagement_three_emddiamonds.jpg

Each stone is smaller than you would buy for a solitaire, so it ends up costing less (e.g. instead of one one-carat stone, you have three stones that together add up to one carat, or more) but together they make a bigger impression ...

Also, are you looking for a square-ish emerald (asscher-like?) or a rectangular one? In my experience the squarer ones tend to look small for their carat weight. A slightly more rectangular one may look bigger (and they make your fingers look more slender too!

1.gif
)

Also, if you like thin (antique-y pave maybe?) bands I''ve found they make the stone look bigger ... the thinner the band the bigger the stone looks (at least to me) in comparison to the band. So maybe a delicate setting might make your chosen stone look more like the size you''d like, if you decided you wanted an EC.

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Thanks!

Yes, I have heard of a 3 stone ring, but I dont really like them that much. I think I am just torn between a cushion (def a pave setting with a realy thin band- love it) or an emerald with baguettes. I love both looks, but I am not sure which one I should choose!

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/12/2004 7:25:56 PM
Author: dani13

Thanks!

Yes, I have heard of a 3 stone ring, but I dont really like them that much. I think I am just torn between a cushion (def a pave setting with a realy thin band- love it) or an emerald with baguettes. I love both looks, but I am not sure which one I should choose!

Will you be choosing the actual stone, or will you be giving your likes and dislikes and what you''ve learned to your boy, who will pick it?

Personally, I love SOME cushions. I am so ridiculously picky that I would not ask for a cushion cut, because I have only seen two I liked. (I like the very square cushions - not anything rectangular in the slightest. And both set ... perhaps I loved them in the setting, but I can''t muster that same love for the stone by itself until I see it set? So weird, I know.) I truly adored those two - however, if I am so picky there is no guarantee I would like another cushion picked for me. However, that could just be me, but in case its not (if you are remarkably picky about either stone and you''re not going to be picking the stone yourself) then I''d suggest you choose the one you are less picky about. I personally think cushions are so individual - each one is different. However, emerald cuts are a little more similar.

Try both on, ponder, and let your gut decide - or if you really can''t decide, why not let your boy decide? Give him all the info on the two and see what he comes up with. That way you get a bit of a surprise and you know that either ring will be something you''ll love, and the ring will be one he chose it for you.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Excellent and very astute point--every cushion is different--far different from stone to stone than any other shape

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

Hehehehehe! here is mine AGAIN :)

I think that the "modern" cushions that have ex polish and symmetry and the facet pattern like the round (like mine!) have a consistent look...

mycushion.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
!

mycushion3.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you looking at just two rings ? It should be feasible to obtain an emerald cut with nice fire and at least looking as large as it should for it''s weight. Both cuts come with about the same depth at their best (below 65%, better around 60%) ...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I am ridiculously picky- I dont think I could ever have my bf pick it out for me totally- I just think its too much $$$ to not be completely satisfied...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! I love your ring so much!!! If I got a cushion, this is what it would look like! If u dont mind, can you give me the stats (including the price
emwink.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/13/2004 2:52:48 AM
Author: valeria101

Are you looking at just two rings ? It should be feasible to obtain an emerald cut with nice fire and at least looking as large as it should for it''s weight. Both cuts come with about the same depth at their best (below 65%, better around 60%) ...

My Asscher/square emerald is ON FIRE
9.gif
9.gif
I wore it for the first time last night- the restaurant had spot halogen lights above our table and it was flashing so much everyone else in our party kept commenting how sparkly it is. I think it might be a little small looking for its weight (Asschers are *supposed* to be a little deeper for hall of mirrors effect, I believe) but it''s worth it!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Sciencegeek, where are the pictures?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results