color
clarity

Emerald old cut? Please help

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_8951.JPG IMG_8952.JPG IMG_8954.JPG

IMG_8953.JPG

So this is a Jabel that I came upon. I can't tell if it's an old cut. I have been wanting an emerald cut but I don't really know what to look for. Opinions welcome!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That style is gorgeous! Is it yours? I love it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't really tell anything that would indicate the age of the diamond. Someone might be able to date the Jabel setting..Jabel, particularly! It might be from the 40s or 50s, and the stone could be from that time or a little older. Don't let the age of the stone affect your decision. Only buy it if you love it. I like that it seems to have a smaller table rather than a large one.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks like an old[er] version of the present day Emerald Cut.
The crown is higher with a smaller table present so it could very well be a mid 20th Century Cut as DS mentioned.
Based on the images, to me at least, it reminds me of what we used to identify as "Russian Cut" perhaps originating in Soviet (USSR) Era.
Soviet cutters used to cut Diamonds to cookie cutter proportions and weight retention wasn't their prime objective as long as they could have brought in their proportions.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That style is gorgeous! Is it yours? I love it!
Not yet. I'm debating it. I did fall in love with it. It's being sold uncertified so it's even hard to gauge how many carats it is, let alone color. I will say it looks eye clean.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't really tell anything that would indicate the age of the diamond. Someone might be able to date the Jabel setting..Jabel, particularly! It might be from the 40s or 50s, and the stone could be from that time or a little older. Don't let the age of the stone affect your decision. Only buy it if you love it. I like that it seems to have a smaller table rather than a large one.
Thanks for the input, DS. Besides the whole package, What drew me in was definitely the small table. I haven't been shopping around for emerald cuts long, so I only saw a few. And this one caught my eye bc of that.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like an old[er] version of the present day Emerald Cut.
The crown is higher with a smaller table present so it could very well be a mid 20th Century Cut as DS mentioned.
Based on the images, to me at least, it reminds me of what we used to identify as "Russian Cut" perhaps originating in Soviet (USSR) Era.
Soviet cutters used to cut Diamonds to cookie cutter proportions and weight retention wasn't their prime objective as long as they could have brought in their proportions.
This sounds interesting! Ty!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's definitely not a modern EC. The lines are beautiful, and the high crown, and small table make her very unique; probably a very rare find. Napa, if you love it (I don't know how anyone couldn't), and she fits your budget, grab her up! I hope you will have her appraised or certified; I'm dying to learn more about her!!! You may be sitting on a small piece of history!!!
Please keep us posted!!! She's a beauty!!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To add to Yoram's informative post: Russian diamonds were indeed known as the very best cuts in the '80's.
My understanding was that rough was so plentiful that they focused on excellence in cut. Which jibes exactly with Yoram's post.
Also- ever since I started selling wholesale jewelry in 1981 Jabel was know as heads and shoulders above pretty much anyone else in terms of quality. They produced "die struck" jewelry. Very expensive process but the results are amazing. Even looking at the picture I can see the flawless finish. That would also jibe with the idea of them using a Russian diamond.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it. Great find!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually passed on this ring . I doubt it it still available.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results