shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald!Help Please

Eliobus

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody,
searching online fortunately I found this amazing website.
This is my story:
Six months ago visiting Colombia with my husband I wanted to get a emerald ring.
I love this gem.
So we went to a jewellery under the recommendation of a friend who lives there and I got my emerald ring.
I was super satisfied with the purchase even tough I didn't get a super high quality emerald(My budget was about 4.000 dollars).
I love big gems and I decided to get an emerald of 5.40ct with 18kt white gold ring for about 3.700 dollars.(CERTIFICATED)
When I went back to Italy,I stopped by chance in a jewellery.
I was wearing the emerald and why not ?
I asked to the man to take a look at the ring and give me an estimate.
Let's start from the point that Yes it was a nice and big jewellery place but he didn't have any emerald for sale.
Super sad he told me that the stone itself costs about 900/1000 dollars plus the ring about 400 dollars.
Total 1.300 dollars.
Really??????????
Please,help me!
I would like to know your opinion.
I'm going to upload the certificate and some pictures of the gem,I know it's hard to evaluate a gem by a picture.
However,I would like to know more or less the market value and if I got robbed.
Thanks in advance.
Carla

img-20170130-wa0023.jpg

img-20170130-wa0020.jpg

img-20170130-wa0021.jpg

img-20170130-wa0022.jpg

Eliobus

Rough_Rock
More pictures..If they can help.

img-20170130-wa0024.jpg

img-20170130-wa0025.jpg

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi there,
sorry to say, but the stone seems not very clean and milky as color is not bad. So not high quality emerald.
As I can´t read the certificate (photoquality) it is an original Cert-Lab in colombia, which is known and no fake.
As I can´t read it, I can´t say if the price (1300 $) is realistic. If the stone is also treated in some way, the price could be less.
Oiling is normally okay, but resin treatment is normally incluencing the price to the lower end.
So as it is too late, but normally you should take a person with at least gemstones knowledge with you, when buying gemstones and you don´t know the dealer.
It´s sad to hear, that in several countries these "tourist sales actions" are done....

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Here are the positive points about your ring.
5 carat size is a good size! Price per carat jumps up as the stones get bigger in the case of Emerald.
The stone, though it looks hazy, looks evenly colored, with no distracting inclusions.
It looks like the gold was used generously on the band.
If you bought it as a souvenir from Colombia, enjoy it as part of the trip!
Different shops appraise the stones differently. Especially in colored gemstones.
Many in the market put a premium for Colombian emeralds just by origin alone.

On the downside...
I could read in the lab report that the stone has indication of significant clarity treatment. Let me know if it is otherwise as it is blurry. There is a difference between oil and other modern clarity treatments. Check if there is any mention in the certificate about what treatment was done.
The stone doesn't look transparent. Fine emeralds have good transparency. Opaque emeralds are not considered gem quality and thus considerably low in price. If you could post a better photo in better lighting conditions, like hold the ring against a lamp, you will have an idea of the rings clarity.

Emerald is one of those stones that is difficult to capture the real color in the photo. In colored stones, color is very important. Do you think the photos you posted doesn't do justice to the real color of your ring or are the photos close to the real color?

Eliobus

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply.
here is the certificate again!
Anyway I paid for it around 4500 dollars.

img-20170130-wa0010.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It can be very hard to capture stones accurately in pictures. Top emeralds should have a glow to them. It me easier for you to go window shopping at high end jewelry stores, and compare your emerald in appearance and price.

Muhammad_Ali

Rough_Rock
I have to second the opinion, the emerald is all but opaque, not what you want to see. Emerald, rubies and sapphires should always be transparent as faceted gemstones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photograph of the emerald is too small for me to be able to read anything.

1. Is it treated?
2. If so, what did they use?
3. What is the level of treatment?

Valuation will depend on the above, in addition to the final clarity and colour quality, both of which I am unable to asses from my monitor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results