shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald fans/experts , is this a good emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Here is the information:

The ring contains one center oval shaped genuine emerald weighing 2.09ct. The center emerald is surrounded by 2 rows of round full cut diamonds. The diamonds are set in different levels 14 smaller diamonds in the center with 14 larger diamonds around the outer edge. Total weight of the 28 round full cut diamonds is 1.74ct. The ring weighs 7.74 grams.

I''ve been looking for 2-5 carat emerald that has a good color and as near perfection as I can find. I like this shade of green.

I haven''t asked if it''s been treated. Before I got serious about purchasing it I would definitely ask but , on the surface does it sound/look like a good emerald at a fair price?

It''s 3,500.00.

As far as the setting goes , it''s timeless yet a little "dated" - I don''t have a problem with "dated" but I''d like to do something more original with the setting. So , if I got it , I might have it reset. Maybe something like have the emerald horizontal with a simple diamond baguette down each side.

It just looks like a good emerald to me but , I''m inexperienced and not an expert.

Coloratura

Rough_Rock
Here it is , I had to rework the file in order to upload it. I also had to shrink the pic a little because it was too big to upload.

the emerald ring.JPG

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Unless you have absolute proof otherwise, always assume that emeralds have been oiled. Completely untreated emerald are rare and they carry the pricetag to prove it.

That being said, oiling is common practice in the emerald industry and has become an accepted treatment.

As with all stones the main question is "do you love it?" If so, have it appraised by a professional to make sure it is what they say it is and then let it bocome your little friend.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Coloratura,

The first question should be: "What is the level of treatment." There are four to five levels depending upon the laboratory. None, insignificant, minor, moderate and heavy.Does it have a lab grading report or is the seller willing to specify a level of treatment and pay for the lab report and refund you money if he is wrong?

Emeralds tend to have cracks. It is possible for two stones, one graded "minor" and one that has been heavily treated to look the same to the unaided eye. Obviously there is a big difference in price.

On my last trip to Bogota I examined several hundred and found 1 without surface breaking fissures. You can find the discussion on my blog GemWise. Bear in mind, "none" does not mean the same thing as "eye-clean" or the term I prefer, "eye-flawless" it just means no treatment. You will rarely, almost never, find a stone with no treatment.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The stone looks pretty clean, colour is nice - why is it so cheap??? Something is wrong in my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results