shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Engagment Ring Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tinymind

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone...

I''m a newbie to this site and have done quite a bit of reading... I''m from the UK and therefore can''t really go and view the diamond in person! The UK market is very, very different and buying online is picking up here. The ''old fashioned'' high street retailers are expensive and there isn''t a lot of choice.

Well enough of the UK shopping experience... I''m looking for an Emerald diamond for the better half when I pop the question in June! So I have some time left... but finding something is really, really hard!

I knew her criteria: Emerald Diamond as the centre, Platinum, Channel Set and Princess Cut diamonds!
I have seen rings that I want... I love the added engraving on the sides!
1.gif

Link: http://www.jamesallen.com/products/item_59-277_build.asp?module=setting

Now for the issue... The Centre Piece!!!

Shape: Emerald
Carat weight: 0.72
Cut: Premium
Color: I
Clarity: VVS1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 65.4%
Table: 69.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.06*4.51*2.95

I am worried about the fact it is I in colour and having read that with an Emerald diamond it may more noticable.

Help, help, help....
33.gif

Cheers
Tiny

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Tiny!

I take it this diamond is also with James Allen? Can you post a link if so please? You can't tell much by the numbers, so I would ask for photos of the diamond if they can provide them, or perhaps if it is an in house diamond, there might be a photo on the diamond's page. An I in an EC may show a hint of warmth, it is down to the individual's colour perception, is it possible you could look at some similarly graded and sized EC's in person of I colour? We do have a poster here with a larger EC in an I colour which she loves, it is a stunning stone, but colour perception varies.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! It looks like a very pretty diamond, some prefer a smaller table, but in my opinion I think the diamond looks really nice ( I am no expert on EC''s but I know what I like!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing is, BN don''t always have these diamonds in house to the best of my knowledge, or will provide photos of the diamond for you to see prior to purchase, which are so helpful. So it is really anyone''s guess how this diamond may look. Having said that, they do have a 30 day return policy, but as you are in the UK it could be a pain to be sending diamonds back and forth.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m sorry that I don''t like that JA EC. The step pattern has a large gap in the center, probably caused by the large 69% table. If possible, you can drop the clarity safety to a VS2 to either get a larger EC or up the colour to a G/H.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2008 5:19:37 AM
Author: Lorelei

The only thing is, BN don''t always have these diamonds in house to the best of my knowledge, or will provide photos of the diamond for you to see prior to purchase, which are so helpful. So it is really anyone''s guess how this diamond may look. Having said that, they do have a 30 day return policy, but as you are in the UK it could be a pain to be sending diamonds back and forth.
Agreed. Since you are in the UK, it is more of a hassle to purchase from BN.

Again, a VVS is just overkill on an EC.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2008 7:22:42 AM
Author: Chrono
I'm sorry that I don't like that JA EC. The step pattern has a large gap in the center, probably caused by the large 69% table. If possible, you can drop the clarity safety to a VS2 to either get a larger EC or up the colour to a G/H.
Doing a search, there doesn't seem to be many other options apart from BN at the moment, for in house stones, so he might have to also go higher on clarity depending...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Possible contenders:
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-942572.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-976822.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-911716.htm

If your budget allows this, I love this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1140952.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

ETA
For ease of purchase, I'd recommend getting Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com to help you find the stone, especially since you are overseas to the US. He picks some of the best ECs here and has access to far more ECs than most vendors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The JA and WF stones are not in-house but apparently JA has seen these stones and so probably took a picture of them at some time and posted them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2008 7:56:53 AM

Date: 5/13/2008 7:49:11 AM

I know you can''t tell much by these pics, but this diamond looks quite dark to me...

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1131540.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131
Yeah, I''m not keen on that one. Pattern isn''t all that great and the stone just doesn''t wow me, which is why I came back to edit it out of the list.
Okeydoke, I must say I liked the other one you posted!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tinymind,
I don''t know your budget but I''m guessing it''s around $2K? Also, I don''t know the length-width ratio you like. If the above mentioned EC is out of budget or the ratio doesn''t appeal to you, I''d suggest contacting Mark of ERD. www.engagementringsdirect.com If you really like the JA stone, have them call in the EC to get Iscope pictures, run a sarin for crown height, and press them for an ASET.

Lorelei,
Don''t you think JA should "get with the times" and start offering ASETs? It would really increase PS recommendations for fancy cuts.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2008 8:09:56 AM
Tinymind,
I don''t know your budget but I''m guessing it''s around $2K? Also, I don''t know the length-width ratio you like. If the above mentioned EC is out of budget or the ratio doesn''t appeal to you, I''d suggest contacting Mark of ERD. www.engagementringsdirect.com If you really like the JA stone, have them call in the EC to get Iscope pictures, run a sarin for crown height, and press them for an ASET.

Lorelei,
Don''t you think JA should ''get with the times'' and start offering ASETs? It would really increase PS recommendations for fancy cuts.
I completely agree. We know that ASET is considered to be very useful for judging these shapes, so it would be an excellent thing if they started providing them.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
About the I color - yes, it is a fact that the emerald cut will show color more readily than its brilliant counterparts. However, I have an "I" colored emerald cut, and I''ve been told it still looks quite icy! In certain lightings I can see some warmth, but I actually don''t mind it at all!

Also, the color tends to be more of a problem in larger carat weights, and anything a carat and under tends to be less problematic.

Tinymind

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the input & I am going through ERD website now... So much to think about!
I think my mind is made up about the rings though...

Just the DARN centre piece... I need to it so say WOW!

Tiny

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 4:24:15 PM
Author: Tinymind
Hey Everyone!

Thanks for the input & I am going through ERD website now... So much to think about!

I think my mind is made up about the rings though...

Just the DARN centre piece... I need to it so say WOW!

Tiny

PLEASE call or email Mark. His website is not a good representation of what he has available OR what he can get. You''ll save yourself a lot of time just by contacting him personally and telling him your budget and what you are looking for.

Tinymind

Rough_Rock
I''m wording an email as I type this!

Thanks Neat Freak & Everyone Else...

I''ll be posting soon again no doubt!

Tiny

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 4:44:08 PM
I''m wording an email as I type this!

Thanks Neat Freak & Everyone Else...

I''ll be posting soon again no doubt!

Tiny

Perfect! I have worked with Mark multiple times and he is fantastic. Also another hint is he has a bad email/spam filter, so if you don''t get a response in a reasonable amount of time about something, check back in with him. It''s usually the spam issue.

Tinymind

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 7:47:48 AM
Possible contenders:
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-942572.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-976822.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-911716.htm

If your budget allows this, I love this one:
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Emerald-Diamond-1140952.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

ETA
For ease of purchase, I''d recommend getting Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com to help you find the stone, especially since you are overseas to the US. He picks some of the best ECs here and has access to far more ECs than most vendors.
Hi Everyone

Mark at ERD has found this for me and I need your advice one more time...

Shape: Emerald
Carat weight: 0.91
Cut: Premium
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 63.5%
Table: 66.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: slightly thick to Very thick
Culet: Small
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.50*4.99*3.17

Just worried about the girdle!?

Tiny

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Tiny!

If Mark rates this EC, I would be inclined to consider it! Can he get some detailed photos of the diamond? With the girdle, I would check with Mark, it is probably not an issue, I would look more to how the diamond is overall than the girdle thickness.

Tinymind

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/23/2008 10:54:00 AM
Hi Tiny!

If Mark rates this EC, I would be inclined to consider it! Can he get some detailed photos of the diamond? With the girdle, I would check with Mark, it is probably not an issue, I would look more to how the diamond is overall than the girdle thickness.
Hi Lorelei

I am considering it as it is much more of a diamond than I could have found myself. I have asked for photos and just needed some feedback and re-assurance...

One of biggest purchases in my life to date!!!

Tiny

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2008 11:06:16 AM

Hi Tiny!

Hi Lorelei

I am considering it as it is much more of a diamond than I could have found myself. I have asked for photos and just needed some feedback and re-assurance...

Tiny
Mark has such a good rep here, you are in excellent hands! You have gone about things in totally the right way, and your efforts will pay off!

I look forward to seeing the pics if you can post them when you get them please!

Tinymind

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/23/2008 11:25:56 AM

Date: 5/23/2008 11:06:16 AM

Hi Tiny!

Hi Lorelei

Tiny
Mark has such a good rep here, you are in excellent hands! You have gone about things in totally the right way, and your efforts will pay off!

I look forward to seeing the pics if you can post them when you get them please!
Mark @ ERD has sent me a picture of the diamond! What do the experts think????
1.gif

EC1_AMT.JPG

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate ERD''s photos.

Anyway, the .80 G VS2 is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results