shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald earrings: keep or sell?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I have featured them on the PS. And the main reason for selling them is not financial - I know one's losing money on selling. It is more practical - I have never worn them. And if I do not wear something, to me, it means that in my heart of hearts I do not care about them. Emeralds are not "my" stones. And since I have too many things that I do not wear, jewelry, awesome flowers made of seed beads, enamel, what not, but do not wear them, I should probably start selling them or giving as gifts because my jewelry boxes are all full. I have some beautiful things from Russia which I plan to give as gifts to my son's teachers or his/my doctors or other people who surround us and who we need.

Emeralds are expensive, and I had them reset per my appraiser's advise. I bought them from a store that was going out of business so I do not know their real price but I shall find out from my appraiser what I can realistically expect to get for them. I do not have any other gains in mind by posting it here except for getting your honest advise.

If I ever buy an emerald, one, for collection, I want a really, really good one but since I have no clue what a "good emerald" means it may be a long search. I have one emerald ring which I can not part with because I bought it for my mother shortly before her death, and I was a medical resident with very little money. The color is very nice and saturated although there is an eye-visible inclusion inside the stone but as I have said, I should not sell it. With these ones, I would not really notice if they are in my box or not.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-earrings.135731/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-earrings.135731/[/URL]

With some other earrings, tsavorite dangles, etc, it is all clear - I can use the stones as side stones and scrap the gold, but how many times can you reset emeralds?

Sorry for a long post...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I am not sure I made it clear. I want to sell them, but if you tell me, well, keep emeralds, the prices are going up and will be going up, (like TL said about all red stones, for example), I shall keep them. I just need to hear what you'll say.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In your link, the Emeralds look a particularly lovely colour. On that basis I would keep them and re-use them in a design that I would wear. With the price of gold being so high, I would also recycle the gold to help fund the new project. So long as you use a jeweller you trust to unset and re-set the Emeralds, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you haven't/won't wear them then there's no point in keeping them as they are.

I can't wait to hear what you decide.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The color does look nice in your photos, Crasru. Scrap the gold, as LD says, and you could use the emeralds in something else -- but if emeralds aren't your thing, then I'd say realize what you can from them to put toward whatever you like better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think emeralds are really good in earrings and pendants since they are less likely to be damaged than in rings. I'm just not sure you'd get enough selling them to make it worth giving them up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1308422470|2949057 said:
In your link, the Emeralds look a particularly lovely colour. On that basis I would keep them and re-use them in a design that I would wear. With the price of gold being so high, I would also recycle the gold to help fund the new project. So long as you use a jeweller you trust to unset and re-set the Emeralds, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you haven't/won't wear them then there's no point in keeping them as they are.

I can't wait to hear what you decide.

+1

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I really like them, but I also really like emeralds in general.

If you don't wear them though, I think you should put them up for sale so that you can use the $$ towards something you will wear. I have jewelry I don't wear and it just clutters my jewelry boxes--it just doesn't make sense to keep them. The only jewelry I wouldn't sell is jewelry I have received as gifts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results