shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald E-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lordstylz

Rough_Rock
This is my first post here, but I''ve been reading and researching posts from people on this site for a couple weeks now. I feel like if a good opinion is needed then I could trust the people on here.
I am having a hard time trying to get away from my girlfriend to do a lot of research for E-ring and find one that works. I know she wants Emerald (She''s from Colombia)for center stone and not diamond, and she doesn''t like gold jewelry, so its gotta be whitegold or platinum. I know that she does like the 3 stone route, and has no particular favorite cut, but nothing with the point on the oval end; I''ve gathered she''d like round, oval, or princess cut the best, with emerald cut being just ok. So I am trying to turn to online options, but that''s just as hard. At first I was relieved price wise that I wouldn''t have to go the all out diamond route but now I wish I had since its so much easier to find stuff for that.

I will continue my search and find time to get off to see some things in person but wanted to know what people might have to offer in help and if something like the following seems to be worth it. Thanks for the help in advance.

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=6122&catid=112&filter_id=0&nav1=band_channel.asp&page=1&col=2&row=3&pos=8&set_shape=

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thats a nice style and I think an emerld will be really pretty in a three stone ring. But yeah harder to find and emeralds are tricky because a lot of them are fracture filled and type of thing. Have you checked out any of the colored stone sites yet? Cherrypicked.com has great stuff, and I keep hearing great things about ajsgems.com and a lot of people here seem to be buying from acstones.com.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh and on the subject of engagement rings with green stones here''s a really fantastic one. It''s a tsavorite
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-daniel-k-tsavorite-pictures-inside.46511/

I think it may have been inspired by this one. Also amazingly beautiful
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-green-tourmaline-e-ring-is-on-its-way.30954/

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No princess cut emeralds...but square/squarish emeralds exist.

The picture of the Blue Nile ring will look nothing like what you''ll get?

lordstylz

Rough_Rock
Are you asking or telling me?

lordstylz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the resources, it helps a lot. I''ve only had one chance to get away to a few jewelers to find something but haven''t seen the ONE yet. Does it cost that much more for custom stuff? Because I''d consider that but no clue on that kind of stuff and didn''t have time to talk to the custom people on premise of the jewelry stores. Like if I bought the emerald myself and just found a setting for it, but was hoping to get it all in one stop.

lordstylz

Rough_Rock
First one is great, how do I go about doing something like that? Looks nice. She probably will like how its a lil different.

And second is absolutely amazing, at least for the pics, but for her small hand it might not work.

Thanks again.

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Hi-

The first one''s mine, I got it for my fiancee from Leon Mege (http://www.artofplatinum.com/) who''s amazing, particularly with pave. You can do something like that by calling him up and asking for it. I''m sure he''d be more than happy to talk to you about it. The catch, of course, is whether he can find another stone. That''s a tsavorite, a green garnet which I think looks a lot like a Columbian emerald. The second ring innerkitten linked to is a tourmaline. Both are stronger than emerald and thus less likely to crack and fissure and chip after everyday wear. My fiancee wanted a green stone but didn''t know which one so I spent a lot of time comparing the various options. Tsavorite is way less expensive than emerald (especially Columbian emeralds) and slightly more expensive than tourmalines. As velouriaL has pointed out, it''s a lot about each particular stone, but the tsavorite from Leon blew all the tourmalines I''d been looking at out of the water.

I personally listened to a lot of people and decidied that an emerald would be too soft for an engagement ring. People would disagree but I went on the more conservative side.

Just for the record, if you want, you can think about concave faceting by Richard Homer (search for it in the forums) which makes some stones look incredible. I was pretty convinced that concave faceting was the way to go until I saw Leon''s tsav. It reduces sparkle because it homogenizes the stone but it creates this otherworldly magical look where there are these striated slivers of light in the stones. Definitely a matter of taste, but something to think about. He has some green tourmalines on his site.

Let me know if you have any other questions. VelouriaL''s ring was the first I ever saw that made me believe in green stone engagement rings, but she''s been checked out of here for a while (along with valeria101 - whatever happened there?) so I think you''re stuck with me.

Adam

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
A couple of my friends went the emerald route, and both ended up damaging the stone and needing to have it recut. I love emeralds for dress up wear, but if someone plans to wear their e-ring day in and day out...eventually I expect it will come to a bad end. Maybe it would work better in a bezel setting to protect the stone. I''d rather stick to diamonds or rubies/sapphires and feel secure. sapphires can come in fancy colours as well, although I''m not crazy about the greens. Tsavorite garnets are lovely, of course.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
If you don''t want to spend a major fortune to get the deep rich green Colombian emerald, Tsavorite garnet would be much much better for wearing 24/7. They are beautiful with great sparkle. Emeralds are supposed to be hard, but they are fragile and supposedly easy to crack. I have a Zambian emerald ring with rich green color and some inclusions, which don''t take away from the "look." it must have been oiled or whatever they do to these stones. The color is great, but I''m afraid to pop it on something and have it shatter.

I also have a loose Colombian emerald, much paler from ebay. A guy on there sells a ton of them cheap. BUT, they are light in color, seem to have less inclusions, and his cuttings are very rough. I bought a cheap stone ($47 for 1.86 ct square). It has an inclusion on one side, rough cut, but otherwise very clear and relatively light green. You might ask him if he has better quality stuff, since he says he has a "Colombian connection." Write to me if you want his ebay user nick.

Ger

lordstylz

Rough_Rock
Pokey - Do you mind if I ask what sort of price your ring or the stuff from Leon runs? At least a range, like yours was 2k - 4k or maybe 10k - 15k.... I''d like to see maybe what kind of options are there BUT I don''t want to have more debt from a ring than I have in student loans, and frankly I''ve talked to my girlfriend and she''d kill me if I went overboard and probably not marry me b/c she didn''t want to carry that debt after the marriage.

As far as other stones that are green I am going to bring it up with her tonight about the fragile emerald, but I think i mentioned that she''s from Colombia so the thing she wants most is the Colombian emerald. I could probably get the emerald and tie chicken wire around it into a ring and she''d be happy... well not that dramatic but I don''t think she''s aware of the fragile part.

Ger100, what''s the ebay seller name? Just to have another resource.

I think I also want to ask her dad if they have any family in Colombia that might help out, but don''t exactly want to go that route where I have no control.

Man, you guys are great. This place is awesome. After I finish I''ll have to make sure that my girlfriend signs up too to thank you guys for helping out.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it isn't advisable to have an emerald for an ering...they are too fragile and will more than likely be damaged in the course of daily wear. What about green tourmaline? (You could get her a nice emerald pendant for an engagement present...if she's set on an emerald...so that she could wear that with much less risk for breakage.)

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I have an emerald ring that look exactly like that blue nile ring, except its set in gold. It chipped and it is a pretty good stone, IMO. My mother can an emerald and diamond ring with diamonds all around the emerald -maybe a setting like that would work. You could get a smaller central emerald in case you had to replace it or have it recut.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
in the pro con of getting an emerald e ring, my engagement ring was an emerald ring. The jewelers we went to tried to steer us towards something else, but I always wanted an emerald ring and figured this was my chance to get one. The original ring got lost, but the replacement emerald ring I wore alot, even sonic cleaned it before I found out better. Overall it still looks pretty good but it does have a small chip off one end, and I stopped wearing it so much because I started being afraid of a) damaging it more or b) losing it because I was taking it off all the time.

10 years later I ended up getting a diamond anniversary ring that I pretty much wear all the time, and only wear the emerald ring on occasions (best of both worlds!)

I guess what I want to say, if she really wants an emerald ring maybe you should get her one, but suggest that she doesn''t wear it 24/7 like some people wear their engagement ring.

lordstylz

Rough_Rock
I tried bringing it up and she wasn''t convinced. She was sorta wishy wash, and my impression is that she sorta equated having the substitute green stone for an emerald as like having cubic zirconia instead of a diamond. I don''t know if it was that bad, but that''s the best example i can think of.
Are there any websites or links that show the warnings of emerald erings? You know how it is, sometimes it takes someone not close to you for them to believe it.

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you do a search on the web, I''m certain you can find the info you need to back it up. Fine emeralds are a beautiful stone, no doubt, I wouldn''t mind having one myself, but not as an everyday ring. Everyone I know who has owned one has had trouble with it.

Incidentally, I have no idea what your budget is, but I have been drooling over this green sapphire for weeks:

http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=U604

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
What about smaller emerald side stones with a diamond center? If you get channel set or bezel set emerald sides they would probably hold up to daily wear better. Just a thought.

lordstylz

Rough_Rock
I''ve thought about that and was my original idea when i first started looking but then she''s shown me some styles she likes and not sure the 3 stone would work. She likes Emeralds preferably center stone, and i am pretty sure she likes solitaire stone look. Yet she also really likes the settings with one main stone and like the encrusted diamonds on the setting, like the one innerkitten told me about above.

She also mentioned tho this is not the best one she''d live with something like this with emerald.

http://www.faycullen.com/platinum_engagement_rings/800/d823r7d.html

She likes that unique setting in the band.

And I brought up the other green stones again and her comment was "oh are those like the fake emerald things?" Hey I can only do so much, maybe I''ll ask her friend and then she can inform her or let her know. But until then, I''ll basically have to say hey, anything happens then I told you so. I mean do the emeralds have problems with everyday wear after like a month or is this something that happens like a few years later or if you go whacking it on the wall too often? Maybe I''ll get her a chain to hang it while in dangerious hand areas.

Pokey

Rough_Rock
Stylz-
The split shank tsavorite from Leon was around $10,000. It was around $5k for the stone and around the same amount for the labor and the pave.

I am well aware of the awesome power of a woman''s voice against reason, logic and factual exposition. On this one, however, I think it''s worth it to stand your ground and point her in the direction of a Mohs Hardness Scale before spending a lot more than $10,000 on a Columbian emerald ring that''s going to be chipped in a year.

Even tsavorite and tourmaline aren''t "recommended" for everyday wear either. In fact, here''s a whole thread of people telling me that a tourmaline ring is questionable: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tourmaline-engagement-ring-help.39961/= and tourmaline doesn''t have inclusions that cause fracturing and chipping like emeralds do.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
see if you can find some picture of damaged emerald rings to show her....that might do the trick. also, find info on line, print it out, and give it to her. while you''re willing to invest in a quality ring, you''d like it to be one that she can wear for years.

if the emerald isn''t worn 24/7 and if it is bezeled to protect it, then maybe. i''ve seen one that survived but the facets were all worn down and it certainly did not have that lovely emerald look.

if she insists and you go along with it, be prepared to have to replace the stone or telll her now there won''t be a replacement stone if it becomes damaged.

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Pokey

I am well aware of the awesome power of a woman's voice against reason, logic and factual exposition.

Hey hey!!! I feel the need to jump in here and defend this sweet lady (and all the rest of us sweet ladies
1.gif
) She's Colombian, for crying out loud! I completely understand how having a Colombian emerald ering would be important to her!

I have a beautiful old emerald ring from the '20s. When I bought it, the emerald had been repolished by the vendor before offering it for sale. I asked what shape it had been in before repolishing and they said: "really not too bad at all, considering that it's 80 years old...just a few scratches and knicks."

Lordstylz, I think you should get a Colombian emerald for your girl, and if it needs repolishing every twenty years or so, so be it. I suspect that knowing it's fragility, she'll be extra careful with it.

I would, however, look for a more protective mounting: bezeling is best, but even diamond sidestones might help protect it a bit. I would really not recommend a prong-set solitaire, however.

Here are a couple of pics for inspiration:

Uemrgched01.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
....and, just because I jump at any excuse to post my treasure, here's a pic of my EIGHTY-YEAR-OLD emerald ring!
1.gif

39emrg847.JPG

widget

Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results