shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cuts - Anyone an expert?

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
I've always wanted an emerald cut diamond, but I don't have much confidence in selecting one online. Can someone tell me if this is a good option?

If not, what do I need to be looking for? Is there a better place to look? Are there specific filters I should be using? I tried looking at Ritani's GCAL certified options, but I didn't care for any of those. In a perfect world I'm looking for a 2.5-3 ct, 1.5 ratio, G color, VS1 above clarity for around 2K-ish.

Thank you!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping for help

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask for an ASET image and if you can not get one move on.
Video is showing signs of p3 issues face up, if an ASET image says its a video problem then its worth an in person look.

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
Ask for an ASET image and if you can not get one move on.
Video is showing signs of p3 issues face up, if an ASET image says its a video problem then its worth an in person look.

Thank you, Karl. For my knowledge, what are P3 issues?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Karl’s article is great. And just FYI, the P3 angles are the bottom 3 angles in a 3 step cut diamond. They are very important (I guess all the angles are important) as they are critical in the light coming from above to bounce back up to the eye. If not cut properly, the light will go right through.

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
Karl’s article is great. And just FYI, the P3 angles are the bottom 3 angles in a 3 step cut diamond. They are very important (I guess all the angles are important) as they are critical in the light coming from above to bounce back up to the eye. If not cut properly, the light will go right through.

Thank you!

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
Would anyone be willing to take a look at another emerald for me? I think this one has a better P3 angle (from what I can tell from reading Karl's article) and the hall of mirrors effect seem really vibrant.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Would anyone be willing to take a look at another emerald for me? I think this one has a better P3 angle (from what I can tell from reading Karl's article) and the hall of mirrors effect seem really vibrant.

Go for it

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
Go for it

Thanks for bearing with me! Video and certification linked below. The table is a little small if I compare it to the "excellent" category from "beyond4cs" website, but everything else seems to align nicely?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for bearing with me! Video and certification linked below. The table is a little small if I compare it to the "excellent" category from "beyond4cs" website, but everything else seems to align nicely?

The contrast patterning on it is nice. I almost think it has the same grainy/hazy quality as the round cut you posted earlier

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
@Karl_K - Would you mind sharing your thoughts as well? Thank you!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It has large streaks of hazy/fuzzy areas that the treatment did not remove.
I would go as far as calling it zoned.

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
That one is a maybe pending more info, can they get you more images/ASET?

Probably not, but I can certainly ask. From my experience in the past they don’t move very quickly.

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
@Karl_K - unfortunately, it doesn't look like ASET images are available. Would you take a chance on ordering or continue to search? Unfortunately, the retailers (like white flash) who provide ASET images are typically out of my price range for the size I'm after.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I will take another look when im at my pc later tonight or in the am.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, it looks like it dances very well, but face up it looks a bit dark from obstruction, its trying to gather light from the camera area.
This provides more obstruction than just your head(body) when looking on it.
Its more like looking at it with one eye from 4 inches.
The question not answered is at normal human viewing and obstruction distances does it have the same darkness?
I would say the odds are around 65/35 that its ok in person.
Then the question would be does it dance? and the odds that its a good dancer are higher than that.
If there are options around with higher probabaility then of course its not worth it, but if its the best one readily available that makes it more worth a look.
Ultimately that's up to you to decide.

If you take it for a test drive view it in as many lighting conditions as possible and different distances, view it over a bright surface, blue or red looking for face up leakage(color showing through), after that view it rotating slowly side to side and watch the play of light and the dance in different lighting conditions and different distances.

Karl

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
So fun and educational reading Karl's post above. Wow.
I would have ordered this already.
Please keep us updated!

LTCT814

Shiny_Rock
Ok, it looks like it dances very well, but face up it looks a bit dark from obstruction, its trying to gather light from the camera area.
This provides more obstruction than just your head(body) when looking on it.
Its more like looking at it with one eye from 4 inches.
The question not answered is at normal human viewing and obstruction distances does it have the same darkness?
I would say the odds are around 65/35 that its ok in person.
Then the question would be does it dance? and the odds that its a good dancer are higher than that.
If there are options around with higher probabaility then of course its not worth it, but if its the best one readily available that makes it more worth a look.
Ultimately that's up to you to decide.

If you take it for a test drive view it in as many lighting conditions as possible and different distances, view it over a bright surface, blue or red looking for face up leakage(color showing through), after that view it rotating slowly side to side and watch the play of light and the dance in different lighting conditions and different distances.

Karl

Thank you, Karl, I appreciate your thoughtful and thorough review. As I continue my search, can you help me further understand the obstruction you're seeing? Is this in reference to the yellow/brown areas shown on the face?

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 7.38.17 AM.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The black areas are obstruction.
Or more properly the diamond responding to obstruction.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results