shape
carat
color
clarity

EMERALD CUT STONE PRICE? Your Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jheine2

Rough_Rock
I have this stone in possession and I am wondering if yall think it is a good stone and if the price is good?

Emerald Cut
1.52 ct.
7.89x5.76x3.67
Depth - 63.7
Table - 67%
Crown - 9%
Pavillion - 53%
GIrdle - thin, polished
Polish - VG
symmetry - VG
Culet - none
Clarity VS2
Color - I

I got it for around 4700$ it was EGL certified but I checked it with a local jewler and he said that the clarity and color was accurate!

What is this diamond normally worth???? is the specs ok for the price?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can pricescope your stone at the top of the page to see what similar stones are going for. Asking a jeweler if the color and clarity is accurate isn''t the best way to go. I''d take it to an independent appraiser to see what their opinion is. Which EGL lab did the cert??

jheine2

Rough_Rock
It was EGL isreali, which explains the lower than normal price.

So why isn''t it a good idea to bring it to a local jewler? It seems they wouldn''t have any bias considering I didn''t buy it from him?

I just brought it to him to see if the clarity and color where accurate.

ONE MORE QUESTION: Does GIA and EGL have the same depth and table percentages or is that normally not accurate too? I know EGL will normally be a color grade or clarity grade lower than GIA but are their instraments that measure the table and depth accurate?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
For accurate information, you should take the diamond to someone who is independent. Not just someone other than whoever sold you the diamond. This means someone who does not sell diamonds at all. I kinda doubt that both color and clarity are right on with an EGL Israel cert. but I guess it is possible.

That diamond still comes up as available by 2 vendors on the search engine (though one of the dimensions is off by a tiny amount. They are offering it for $4726 and $4794.

jheine2

Rough_Rock
Yes, I still haven''t seen it yet because it was sent to my home town and I will be away for a couple weeks, but I have until MARCH 30th to make my decision if I want to keep it. It is going to two different jewlers tomorrow to see what they think. I also have a good friend of the family that has a loop and said the diamond looked amazing for an EGL isreali certified diamond which makes me think it is farely accurate considering she doesn''t sell diamonds and only buys them. (Doctors wife), but of course she is no expert on the topic.

Anyway, after what you said I am thinking of sending it to GIA to get certified. How much does it cost to get certified by GIA and do you think that it is worth the cost?

Also, if it actually is accurate on the certificate, how much would most local jewlers sell it for because if I could get a similar price then I would rather buy locally.

jheine2

Rough_Rock
Oh by the way, fill free to bash this diamond if it is not a good deal because I still have until March 30th to return it.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
With ECs, you really need to see them to jugde them. As I said, I would much rather send it to an appraiser than to a jeweler. My advice is to find an appraiser in your area (you can search for one here https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx ) and find out what he/she has to say. Next, you need to see if it speaks to you. Look at it in all different lightings. Do you love it? Does it make you happy? If the gradings are accurate (or pretty close) and you love it, I would then keep it. I doubt a B&M could come very close in price.

Don't know the price of sending it to GIA. Personally, if a respected appraiser gave me his opinion that would be enough for me. Others may want the GIA document.

The only iffy thing that stands out to me is the 9% crown, which is quite shallow. However, as I mentioned see it in person to see what you think.

jheine2

Rough_Rock
What does the low crown do to the diamond? less fire?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
measurements should be fine.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers of this EC isn't anything to shout about. It could be pretty or maybe not. Without pictures, we cannot make any further assessment. I'd prefer a higher crown for more fire and a less glassy look. Only you (seeing the stone in person) under various indoor and outdoor lighting can see its effects. How are the steps?

The first thing I would do is check out the stone with an independent appraiser. Make sure the clarity and colour are as stated in the EGL cert. Also ask about how well cut the EC is and his/her opinion about its light performance. If the cert is accurate, I'd say the EC is a good buy since the B&M store is selling it close to the online price. Perhaps I should rephase it to say, it is a good buy if you like it and it is what you are looking for. The current price from the B&M place is competitive.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 8:11:26 AM
Author: Chrono
The numbers of this EC isn''t anything to shout about. It could be pretty or maybe not. Without pictures, we cannot make any further assessment. I''d prefer a higher crown for more fire and a less glassy look. Only you (seeing the stone in person) under various indoor and outdoor lighting can see its effects. How are the steps?

The first thing I would do is check out the stone with an independent appraiser. Make sure the clarity and colour are as stated in the EGL cert. Also ask about how well cut the EC is and his/her opinion about its light performance. If the cert is accurate, I''d say the EC is a good buy since the B&M store is selling it close to the online price. Perhaps I should rephase it to say, it is a good buy if you like it and it is what you are looking for. The current price from the B&M place is competitive.
From what I gather, this is an online diamond.

jheine2

Rough_Rock
Yes, this is an online diamond. I am in medical school and kinda short on money so I am trying to save a little bit by buying online. I guess I just wanted to see if I was saving by buying online and if this diamonds measurments looked alright for paying around 4700$

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone may be a virtual stone but the fact that the vendor is a Brick & Mortar place and is willing to memo the EC and sell it for the same online price is a plus. You get a chance to evaluate the stone in person and the vendor will most likely waive the shipping fee. For those stats and a EGL Isreal cert, I think the online price is about right.

jheine2

Rough_Rock
what does Brick and mortor mean when refering to diamonds? and what does Memo the stone mean?

Sorry, I am kinda new to this stuff????

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 8:02:44 AM
Author: Chrono
The stone may be a virtual stone but the fact that the vendor is a Brick & Mortar place and is willing to memo the EC and sell it for the same online price is a plus. You get a chance to evaluate the stone in person and the vendor will most likely waive the shipping fee. For those stats and a EGL Isreal cert, I think the online price is about right.
jheinie2 bougt this diamond from an online vendor, not a B&M. He has a return period during which he is going to decide if he wants to keep it. He was just inquiring about the price being comparable to B&Ms, because if it was, he would just as soon buy local.

Brick and Mortar (B&M) means a physical store, jheinie2, like you would visit at the mall. As opposed to a vendor that is only online.

jheine2

Rough_Rock
Thanks, wow that took a while...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results