shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Setting Help, Please!!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

So, I am finally going to be setting my 3ct emerald cut in the next month or so (F color, VS2), and I would really appreciate some input on the setting!

First, here are a couple pics of the stone in a ring holder for reference - before kids my finger was a size 5.75, now it is more like a 6.5:

IMG_2391.jpg IMG_2390.jpg

Maytal Hannah is going to be doing the setting and I've decided on platinum. I'd like to do a solitaire setting that has an architectural vibe since this is a step cut, so I'm thinking a shank shape that is more angular like this one:

1626966233741.png

But with a slight reverse taper and claw prongs. I don't think I want cathedral arms. Where I'm really struggling is to figure out what to do with the basket/head of the ring- I initially had the idea of putting little baguettes into the basket, but it sounds like my diamond isn't going to be big enough to make that work without making the basket really bulky. Has anyone seen any cool solitaire settings they like?? If I have to go with a standard basket that is fine, but was hoping there might be some way I could make this more unique...

Part of the problem is that the inspiration settings I love, like the Steven Kirsch one below, don't really go with the angular EC vibe, right? I love swoopy baskets, but I don't think those really fit with my stone:

SK Instagram Pic.JPG

Anyway, sorry for the long post! Any and all design ideas or thoughts are super welcome - even if not a solitaire. I seriously contemplated doing a subtle version of a mixed cut ring - e.g. incorporating a small pear or cushion into the design - but since this is my e-ring I think I should probably leave that idea for a RHR (but I might change my mind haha).

Thank you in advance!!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

So, I am finally going to be setting my 3ct emerald cut in the next month or so (F color, VS2), and I would really appreciate some input on the setting!

First, here are a couple pics of the stone in a ring holder for reference - before kids my finger was a size 5.75, now it is more like a 6.5:

IMG_2391.jpg IMG_2390.jpg

Maytal Hannah is going to be doing the setting and I've decided on platinum. I'd like to do a solitaire setting that has an architectural vibe since this is a step cut, so I'm thinking a shank shape that is more angular like this one:

1626966233741.png

But with a slight reverse taper and claw prongs. I don't think I want cathedral arms. Where I'm really struggling is to figure out what to do with the basket/head of the ring- I initially had the idea of putting little baguettes into the basket, but it sounds like my diamond isn't going to be big enough to make that work without making the basket really bulky. Has anyone seen any cool solitaire settings they like?? If I have to go with a standard basket that is fine, but was hoping there might be some way I could make this more unique...

Part of the problem is that the inspiration settings I love, like the Steven Kirsch one below, don't really go with the angular EC vibe, right? I love swoopy baskets, but I don't think those really fit with my stone:

SK Instagram Pic.JPG

Anyway, sorry for the long post! Any and all design ideas or thoughts are super welcome - even if not a solitaire. I seriously contemplated doing a subtle version of a mixed cut ring - e.g. incorporating a small pear or cushion into the design - but since this is my e-ring I think I should probably leave that idea for a RHR (but I might change my mind haha).

Thank you in advance!!

I love Emerald cuts combined with round brilliant cuts!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I love Emerald cuts combined with round brilliant cuts!

I do think it would be fun to combine a step cut with a brilliant cut! ....The solution is probably to just collect one of each of the various diamond shapes, plz :D

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like swoopy settings with ECs

Alexandra Nova

Rough_Rock
I particularly love Emerald cuts as a 3 stone ring.
With baguettes or trapezoids on sides.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
My emerald cut and ring size are similar to yours so I’m going to post a couple of pics for you. I reset my ec a few years ago and love the pave basket.

I’m also posting a pic of the setting for my squarish cushion cut in case it helps.

Btw, I’m really a fan of double claw prongs for ecs as I chipped the corner of my stone in older single prong setting.

Hope these pics are helpful!:)

2368ABDD-9971-4961-BFCB-268DE9F92E71.jpeg C5E0BF73-BFDC-4BCF-B9A5-6CBB46481F18.jpeg D6A478C1-7B4F-4784-8486-F8D48DB05988.jpeg

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like swoopy settings with ECs

Thanks for weighing in! Do you have any favorite examples that come to mind? I was reminded of the Victor Canera setting below I had bookmarked; this one was for a cushion shaped stone and it looks great, I like this basket a lot:

1627009777527.png

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I particularly love Emerald cuts as a 3 stone ring.
With baguettes or trapezoids on sides.

I love the three stone look too! I toyed with that idea for a long time. I've seen so many gorgeous ones on PS - off the top of my head @LinSF and someone else I am blanking on had killer 3 stone EC rings...

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
My emerald cut and ring size are similar to yours so I’m going to post a couple of pics for you. I reset my ec a few years ago and love the pave basket.

I’m also posting a pic of the setting for my squarish cushion cut in case it helps.

Btw, I’m really a fan of double claw prongs for ecs as I chipped the corner of my stone in older single prong setting.

Hope these pics are helpful!:)

2368ABDD-9971-4961-BFCB-268DE9F92E71.jpeg C5E0BF73-BFDC-4BCF-B9A5-6CBB46481F18.jpeg D6A478C1-7B4F-4784-8486-F8D48DB05988.jpeg

Ah, thank you!! I love the pave detailing on your basket, and that is good input on the double prongs. I had that same question about single v. double prongs from a safety perspective (and this is definitely supposed to be my last e-ring upgrade) so I need to think about that question some more.

And all of the pics are super helpful; I always wish that people would post more pictures showing the gallery view. It looks like you are way ahead of me in the collecting one of each shape department, haha! Incredible collection. :kiss2:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Ah, thank you!! I love the pave detailing on your basket, and that is good input on the double prongs. I had that same question about single v. double prongs from a safety perspective (and this is definitely supposed to be my last e-ring upgrade) so I need to think about that question some more.

And all of the pics are super helpful; I always wish that people would post more pictures showing the gallery view. It looks like you are way ahead of me in the collecting one of each shape department, haha! Incredible collection. :kiss2:

Full disclosure, the cushion is a white zircon!

I love the pave on my basket. I considered get pave prongs but I’m glad I didn’t. I like to wear my rings everyday and it seems like pave prongs could be a little more delicate than I can handle…

Can’t wait to see what you decide to do!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I don't have any suggestions about the setting, but I just want to say how lovely your diamond is! So beautiful!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Full disclosure, the cushion is a white zircon!

I love the pave on my basket. I considered get pave prongs but I’m glad I didn’t. I like to wear my rings everyday and it seems like pave prongs could be a little more delicate than I can handle…

Can’t wait to see what you decide to do!

Your pave basket is beautiful, I love extra details like that! And agree on the pave prongs -- maybe if I win the lottery and get a HUGE rock that would give me more room for a bigger, full-pave basket haha :D

And thank you! I can't wait to finally get to wear it.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any suggestions about the setting, but I just want to say how lovely your diamond is! So beautiful!

Aww, thank you! It's a miracle I haven't lost the stone (I bought it a couple years ago and have just been playing with it in a ring holder since then, ha -- needed to lose pregnancy weight and then got pregnant again and had to do it all over again).

And speaking of beautiful pieces, I think we have all been anxiously awaiting more than one SMTB thread from you!!!

miimac7

Shiny_Rock
I personally love the idea of mixing the styles (architectural with softer lines in the basket). If you wear a band some of the gallery will be covered or less visible so when you view the profile it will make you smile. When the world views you ring they will see the architectural look you are going for. I would totally pave the basket but not the band.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I personally love the idea of mixing the styles (architectural with softer lines in the basket). If you wear a band some of the gallery will be covered or less visible so when you view the profile it will make you smile. When the world views you ring they will see the architectural look you are going for. I would totally pave the basket but not the band.

Thanks so much for weighing in! I've been thinking about it more and I think I am leaning towards the swoopy basket...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you asked MH her thoughts about the plain angular shank paired with a pave swoopy basket like you pictured?
I think it’s all in the proportions and execution - so if she’s on board……..
I say go for your initial idea - think it will be stunning!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Have you asked MH her thoughts about the plain angular shank paired with a pave swoopy basket like you pictured?
I think it’s all in the proportions and execution - so if she’s on board……..
I say go for your initial idea - think it will be stunning!

Thank you! And definitely agree. I've asked Maytal to let me know what she thinks once she gets the stone; one of her main benches is going on vacation soon, so I won't be able to send the stone until September. I guess that gives me about a month to try and get my finger size to shrink a little, lol.

I'm thinking I'll go with the plain angular shank + a basket similar to the below (no pave), as I think that basket can be both angular and swoopy at the same time:

1627314130785.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results