carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Search

goldengifter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

While I'm not on a rushed timeline, I've begun seriously searching for an Emerald cut diamond to propose to my girlfriend with. I'd appreciate your help in identifying the best performing stones available given he specs below.

Carat Weight - ~3 carats
Color: D-F (we've verified she is more sensitive to color than clarity)
Clarity: VS1 or better
Would prefer no fluorescence
Budget: ~65K for diamond. Budget is flexible, but of course, I'd like to get the best value possible.

Looking around online, I haven't seen a very large selection of well cut diamonds within these specs (though my eyes probably aren't as well trained as yours). If you think something is exemplary, I want it! But I have the time to wait for something better to come along if nothing great is on the market at the moment.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

-GG

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at Brian Gavin's ideal cut Emeralds?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With a budget like yours, I’d reach out to Yoram @ GemConcepts. He’s a diamond cutter, and he is brilliant! Reach out, tell him your preferences, and see if he can find you something spectacular! All of his diamonds are works of art, and his workmanship is unparalleled. I have personal experience working with him. He’s amazing, and his diamonds are a cut above the rest!! Step Cut stones are tricky, but Yoram has an eye for them. ;)2
He may even be able to custom cut you an EC very close to your specifications.

https://www.instagram.com/gemconcepts

http://gemconcepts.net/

goldengifter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Ok here’s an initial find, though it doesn’t appear to have the all important video. I like a 1.3 ratio myself, what is your desired ratio? https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/3....4446?q=rc&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Can't believe I left that out! I would like to keep the ratio between 1.35 and 1.4.

I'm liking the 3.06 e vs1 and 3.11 f vvs1

With a budget like yours, I’d reach out to Yoram @ GemConcepts. He’s a diamond cutter, and he is brilliant! Reach out, tell him your preferences, and see if he can find you something spectacular! All of his diamonds are works of art, and his workmanship is unparalleled. I have personal experience working with him. He’s amazing, and his diamonds are a cut above the rest!! Step Cut stones are tricky, but Yoram has an eye for them. ;)2
He may even be able to custom cut you an EC very close to your specifications.

https://www.instagram.com/gemconcepts

http://gemconcepts.net/

I am a fan of Yoram's work, but it seems to skew more towards vintage cuts. She wasn't drawn to that look when I had shown her some examples previously. Does he also do more modern cut step cuts?

BTW....I come across this one stuck in the middle of the 3 carat options and tried to work out what could be wrong with this diamond for it to be priced this low....can’t find anything so here you go https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/4.71-ct-F-VS1-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D40780299

Only thing I'm seeing that may reduce price would be the fluorescence? Maybe it makes the stone cloudy?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't believe I left that out! I would like to keep the ratio between 1.35 and 1.4.

I am a fan of Yoram's work, but it seems to skew more towards vintage cuts. She wasn't drawn to that look when I had shown her some examples previously. Does he also do more modern cut step cuts?

Only thing I'm seeing that may reduce price would be the fluorescence? Maybe it makes the stone cloudy?

That’s a question only Yoram can answer. Best to ask him.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Re: Fluorescence, I was wondering the same thing. Otherwise, it’s gorgeous! :love:
For me, ED 3.11 E VS1 is out; there is an obvious inclusion against the table that obstructs & distracts my eye.
I prefer to view EC’s standing l to w rather than while resting on P3; it makes it easier to see how it performs. So far, the 4+ct EC is my favorite, but you’d have to inquire about how the Med. Fluorescence effects the quality of the stone.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

If you’re happy to spend max budget maybe check with adiamor on that stone. I expect it is stunning. My experience of medium fluorescence is that it doesn’t effect a diamond visually except in strong sunlight where it actually adds beauty. I wear a strong fluorescence diamond with no regrets. I bought my diamond from adiamor and have found them to be reputable. I’m confident they wouldn’t sell a cloudy diamond. However, if your preference is for no fluorescence I hear you.

goldengifter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I agree on the over 4ct. I owned a 3ct EC and remember they just don’t look as big as rounds. So, I think going up to a 4ct with that budget is the way to go!

Thanks everyone for the replies! And sorry for my delayed posts. Trying to keep my forum activity covert is challenging!

Even though it seems to be a good value, I don't think that large of a stone (4.7 ct) would be practical for her given her active lifestyle and personal tastes. I think 3 ct is at the higher end of what she would reasonably wear day to day, so I'd like to keep it around there. I do understand that 3 ct emerald faces up smaller than 3 ct round. However, I do not think she would wear a 3 ct round either. I'm the bling lover between us :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 3 carat Asscher faces up smaller than a round, a 3 carat Emerald cut would face up larger than a round visually because the up and down ways dimensions are typically longer than a round will ever be. So provided you don't go for a short fat emerald or an Asscher style of cut then you should see the 3 carats.

goldengifter

Rough_Rock
Premium
A 3 carat Asscher faces up smaller than a round, a 3 carat Emerald cut would face up larger than a round visually because the up and down ways dimensions are typically longer than a round will ever be. So provided you don't go for a short fat emerald or an Asscher style of cut then you should see the 3 carats.

Thanks for the insight and reassurance!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arkie makes a great point, also I don't know if you've seen Pippa Middleton's engagement ring? It's haloed but it's a 4ct Royal Asscher I believe so you can see if you went for the more square emerald cut how the weight can be hidden in the bottom of the stone.

goldengifter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

Looks like the 4.71 ct was also graded by GIA and comes in at VS2 and Strong fluorescence vs. VS1 and Medium fluorescence from AGS. Does that change your mind about this stone?

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/4.71-ct-F-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41077565

Any other suggestions based on refreshed inventory? Again looking for 3ct+, D-F, VS1 or better. Ideally no fluorescence and ratio of 1.35 - 1.4.

Thanks everyone!

Emeraldsaremyfavorite

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I actually think this is a really good deal for the size. And I think the strong florescence is making it a bit cheaper. I can also tell you this, I have been searching for 4 carat emerald cut for about five months and I find I color, 4ct diamonds in this price range all the time. Also make sure you do some size comparisons with round diamonds. I know another poster said ECs look larger, they really do not. Look at the link attached and you can see it...when you pop in the same carat weight, rounds always are bigger percentage wise. I owned a 3 carat EC and it really looked like a 2 carat round. If your fiancé is fine with that then great!

As far as the strong florescence, I doubt it would have any negative impact on its appearance in regular lighting. You would have to make sure you would be OK with it in direct sunlight.

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/3ct-round-vs-3ct-emerald/

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

Looks like the 4.71 ct was also graded by GIA and comes in at VS2 and Strong fluorescence vs. VS1 and Medium fluorescence from AGS. Does that change your mind about this stone?

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/4.71-ct-F-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41077565

Any other suggestions based on refreshed inventory? Again looking for 3ct+, D-F, VS1 or better. Ideally no fluorescence and ratio of 1.35 - 1.4.

Thanks everyone!
No real concerns for me over that slight change; it's kind of a rule of thumb that gradings should be within 1 step up or down of the final verdict since it IS a subjective process.

And truthfully, I think that 4.7 is to die for. I keep looking at the video trying to find flaws and just can't. The steps light up beautifully, the ratio is great, and it's icy white. I have a 3ct D/VS1 with strong blue fluorescence and I've never once regretted getting a stone with fluorescence (I actually really dig it and love when I can unexpectedly see it). My stone is halo'd so it's more of an 11x11mm size and I can tell you that, even with my very active lifestyle, the size hasn't been a problem. Just have the stone set as low as possible and all should be fine :mrgreen2:

I don't think you've said - what is her finger size? That can make a big difference in how large a diamond looks.

goldengifter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I actually think this is a really good deal for the size. And I think the strong florescence is making it a bit cheaper. I can also tell you this, I have been searching for 4 carat emerald cut for about five months and I find I color, 4ct diamonds in this price range all the time. Also make sure you do some size comparisons with round diamonds. I know another poster said ECs look larger, they really do not. Look at the link attached and you can see it...when you pop in the same carat weight, rounds always are bigger percentage wise. I owned a 3 carat EC and it really looked like a 2 carat round. If your fiancé is fine with that then great!

As far as the strong florescence, I doubt it would have any negative impact on its appearance in regular lighting. You would have to make sure you would be OK with it in direct sunlight.

https://www.diamdb.com/compare/3ct-round-vs-3ct-emerald/

This is really good insight. Thanks for sharing your personal experience!

goldengifter

Rough_Rock
Premium
No real concerns for me over that slight change; it's kind of a rule of thumb that gradings should be within 1 step up or down of the final verdict since it IS a subjective process.

And truthfully, I think that 4.7 is to die for. I keep looking at the video trying to find flaws and just can't. The steps light up beautifully, the ratio is great, and it's icy white. I have a 3ct D/VS1 with strong blue fluorescence and I've never once regretted getting a stone with fluorescence (I actually really dig it and love when I can unexpectedly see it). My stone is halo'd so it's more of an 11x11mm size and I can tell you that, even with my very active lifestyle, the size hasn't been a problem. Just have the stone set as low as possible and all should be fine :mrgreen2:

I don't think you've said - what is her finger size? That can make a big difference in how large a diamond looks.

Thank you for sharing. I'm in agreement with you. My girlfriend generally doesn't like large jewelry, but I think if this is set in simple solitaire band, it won't be too chunky for her. Her finger size is 7.25.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No picture/video/ASET so it would need to be requested, but there's this 5.04ct G VS2...

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/G-VS2-Affinity-Cut-Emerald-Diamond/D41578013

which is cheaper and bang-on the budget at B2C when paid by Wire transfer:

https://www.pricescope.com/diamonds/emerald/5_04-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-5615715#
https://www.b2cjewels.com/dd/11422154/emerald-diamond-G-color-VS2-Clarity

That price difference is INSANE!! @goldengifter, this is totally worth investigating, even if just to cure curiosity (I know I’M curious!!)!! Wow!! I do hope you’ll look into this, and share with us!! What a bargain this would be, if it meets your criterion!! :eek2:
@OoohShiny, you always find ways to blow my mind!!! lol!! I’ll be thinking about this diamond ALL. DAY. LONG!! This is my dream size for an EC!! *sigh* :cheeky:
Dream stats: 5+ct, VVS+, F-H, ID/ID. *Swoon*
:lol-2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though it seems to be a good value, I don't think that large of a stone (4.7 ct) would be practical for her given her active lifestyle and personal tastes. I think 3 ct is at the higher end of what she would reasonably wear day today, so I'd like to keep it around there.

This statement says it all. You already feel a 3 carat is at the high end for her. Without her specifically telling you otherwise, I would really suggest you don't go beyond her desires and comfort. I'd recommend you get her a cheap CZ of the right size and have her test-drive it. She may find that smaller or larger is preferred. But, as stones get bigger, they also get taller off the finger. For me, anyway, I'm pretty height sensitive. Sometimes, bigger is better (and I'm usually in this camp). But, in your case, does your girl really want bigger? Will she feel comfortable wearing this in her daily life or will it sit in a pretty box unworn? She might jump at a 5 carat EC, but she might also feel uncomfortable. A dear friend of mine inherited a 5-carat cushion diamond. While it was a stunner in a custom platinum setting, she found she did not wear it as it was tall and attracted a lot of attention. My mom, on the other hand, rocks a 5+ diamond with no issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results