shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut - Online Purchase w/ Photograph and ASET

Atx

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I have been a lurker for the past few months on Pricescope and have gained a lot of valuable knowledge from both the many articles and individual threads in the forum. The time is drawing close for me to finally purchase a ring, and like many others on Pricescope, I have decided for myself that online retailers pose the best value, at least monetarily, for my loose diamond purchase.

Specs:
I have decided to purchase an Emerald cut ring in the 1.4-1.6 carat range. In order to fit into my budget (hoping to stay near 8K, center stone and setting combined) I have learned that I will have to give a little in some places. For me, after reading a number of suggestions, I have chosen to forego the color somewhat. I am looking at "J" color grades. With re: to clarity, since the Emerald cut has the long clear table, I didn't want to sacrifice too much in that regard, so I have narrowed my options to VS2 or better.

Shopping Experience:
To this point I have contacted Whiteflash, James Allen, B2C Jewel, Blue Nile, and a handful of local Austin area jewelers. I understand the latter online businesses are merely drop shippers and cannot provide the services that the WF and JA can. Nonetheless, my communications with WF and JA have not been the smoothest to this point.

Whiteflash had a custom made setting that was perfect. In my first communication I learned that they could replicate the setting, but that I would have to buy the diamond from them in order to have access to the setting. I have no problems with that requirement, but Whiteflash does not have any EC cuts in house, so you are left with the virtual collection. If you buy from WF's virtual collection, I have learned that you are not provided many of the services that are valued by Pricescope consumers, i.e. money back guarantee, buy back, trade up. I also learned that you would have to pay for the diamond in full prior to them bringing it in. For most customers, including myself, that negates any hopes of bringing in multiple diamonds for comparison sake. Nonetheless, I did find a diamond of interest and notified WF. I was told that the diamond was overseas and that they will not bring those over. I understand if their business model is centered on their own in house diamonds, but if they are going to offer access to a virtual selection, it would be very helpful if they did not set up innumerable roadblocks to make completing a transaction possible.

James Allen offers a wonderful online experience for someone with limited experience such as me. It helps put you at ease to see the 360 degree view of the diamond prior to making a purchase site unseen. Again though, once I reached out to the CS department, my buying experience has been lacking somewhat. I made a request for an estimate on a custom setting. Expectations were set that the estimate would be available at a specified time. That time passed with no communication. I followed up two times further and was assured that it would be 'today or tomorrow.' The new timeframe would pass, and still no communication. I find it odd that both these too online retailers have such a positive reputation, but my experience has been to the contrary. And, I present my experience not to dissuade anybody from possibly using either business, but more as an anecdote for other newbies that may find themselves in the same position in the future.

Question:
Sorry for the previous rambling. If you have made it this far, I was hoping to ask for the Pricescope forum's expertise on a loose diamond. The one I found is from a drop shipper. The price is at the top end of my range, but appears a great value given the specs. I am a bit paranoid I may be missing something! The site offers a single image of the actual diamond and an Aset photo. I requested that the drop shipper ask their vendor for additional information, but they claimed to have contacted the vendor, and no more information can be made available at this time. So my options are to pay in full and bring the diamond in based on the limited information I have or pass for the time being. I cannot make heads or tails of the quality based on the picture or Aset. I am relying entirely on the numbers in the GIA certification. I was hoping that members with a lot more experience than myself could give me their impressions based on the images provided.

Thanks in advance and apologies for a long first post!

emeraldasetview.jpg

emerald151.png

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Do you have a copy of the cert ? There seems to be a symmetry problem .

Atx

Rough_Rock
treasurehunter|1391037321|3603734 said:
Do you have a copy of the cert ? There seems to be a symmetry problem .

Hi Treasurehunter...thanks for the reply. I do have the cert. It states that the symmetry is 'Very Good.' Are there additional indicators on the cert I should be looking at with re: to symmetry?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Atx: I too am in Austin so I am watching what happens and if the prosumers here can help you with a stone.. the Aset to me looks good, but I am not very step knowledgeable :) many others know tons more.. as far as jewelers in Austin I have used Americus, and C Kirk Root, I liked Root a lot but he just died a few weeks ago and I don't know what will happen to the store, I know that it was mostly run by the crew they have there for several years, I've had 2 rings made by them and we bought my husbands (3rd :) ) wedding band there.. I found them honest and reasonable in their prices. I used a jewelry over near Westwood High about 10years ago, they were very good but they retired.. it all depends on if you are in N Austin, central or south I suppose..)

ADDED: I have 1.2 ctw princess studs from Blue Nile that my husband gave me for my birthday a few years ago he said they were great to work with, and a lovely .50 ct baguette wedding band from B2C Jewelery (I thought they were great, fast, and easy.. but my purchase wasn't that much money.. interestingly, I bought the band and a week later they raised the price 300.00$ on the ring)

I am having a pendant made by Good Old Gold (GOG) in Long Island, but it's a cushion stone 1.3 carats and "K" color for a pendant because I like the old cuts and this is the old European style of cutting. GOG has been wonderful to deal with, so you may wish to try them but I don't think they specialize in emerald cut diamond(s).. you could give them a call or email.

Wish you luck on your future life! and please if you can remember, post a pix of your final stone and setting.

Atx

Rough_Rock
Tekate|1391038669|3603751 said:
Atx: I too am in Austin so I am watching what happens and if the prosumers here can help you with a stone.. the Aset to me looks good, but I am not very step knowledgeable :) many others know tons more.. as far as jewelers in Austin I have used Americus, and C Kirk Root, I liked Root a lot but he just died a few weeks ago and I don't know what will happen to the store, I know that it was mostly run by the crew they have there for several years, I've had 2 rings made by them and we bought my husbands (3rd :) ) wedding band there.. I found them honest and reasonable in their prices. I used a jewelry over near Westwood High about 10years ago, they were very good but they retired.. it all depends on if you are in N Austin, central or south I suppose..)

ADDED: I have 1.2 ctw princess studs from Blue Nile that my husband gave me for my birthday a few years ago he said they were great to work with, and a lovely .50 ct baguette wedding band from B2C Jewelery (I thought they were great, fast, and easy.. but my purchase wasn't that much money.. interestingly, I bought the band and a week later they raised the price 300.00$ on the ring)

I am having a pendant made by Good Old Gold (GOG) in Long Island, but it's a cushion stone 1.3 carats and "K" color for a pendant because I like the old cuts and this is the old European style of cutting. GOG has been wonderful to deal with, so you may wish to try them but I don't think they specialize in emerald cut diamond(s).. you could give them a call or email.

Wish you luck on your future life! and please if you can remember, post a pix of your final stone and setting.

Hi Tekate, I am in East Austin. Not much in the way of jewelers in these parts, but I've traveled central/north central and spoken with Benold's, Diamonds Direct, and Bailey, Banks & Biddle. I have a picture that I am bringing to them in hopes of creating a custom tapered channel baguette solitare setting. The prices have been all over the place! :) Not sure why, since they are all working from the same picture, metal, and tcw. One thing (the only thing) I am certain of...the learning process is much more fun than the purchasing process!

Atx

Rough_Rock
Wanted to edit to add stats, but my window had expired, so on to a new post!

These numbers relate to the picture above.

Carat Weight: 1.51
Cut: Excellent
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 66.40
Table: 60.00
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: STK
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Ratio: 1.30
Measurements: 7.39 x 5.76 x 3.83

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Symmetry VG shouldn't be a problem, the main concern for me is J colour , I personally am colour sensitive and don't like going below G colour in Fancy cuts as the colour stands out more especially in Emerald cuts and step cut stones. If your ok with that yellow tinge please get it with the option of returning it so if you don't like it or your wife or partner then you have the option of returning it.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey don't knock the J EC's! I have a 1ct J colored EC and I love it. It faces up plenty white, and the only time I see any tint is when it is in direct sunlight, and even then it isn't yellow - it just has "personality". I was a die-hard DEFG color gal, but I took a chance on this J and I found I actually like it! (Of course buy from a dealer with a good return policy in case your opinion differs from mine ;)) )

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a K color EC in Single Stone set east west last week. It was incredibly gorgeous more so than any icy step cut stone I have seen. :love: in my opinion, all colors can be beautiful.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they have a good return policy, you should get it unset, then live with it for a week and decide for yourself. Color tolerances are very personal.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Looks beautiful and I agree on the J- the warmth is personal taste whether or not you mind -

To answer one of the posters above, GOG is great when it comes to emerald cuts- they also have some great YouTube videos you can watch to learn about the differences in color and charities - how different it is when picking a step cut versus a brilliant.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ecf8503|1391054038|3603964 said:
Hey don't knock the J EC's! I have a 1ct J colored EC and I love it. It faces up plenty white, and the only time I see any tint is when it is in direct sunlight, and even then it isn't yellow - it just has "personality". I was a die-hard DEFG color gal, but I took a chance on this J and I found I actually like it! (Of course buy from a dealer with a good return policy in case your opinion differs from mine ;)) )

a friend of mine just bought a 1.25 emerald cut J. Its just the JA pics right now, but shoot it looks white and amazing. no tint, just less "blue white"

brilliant cut fancies, IMHO, are the ones to look out for when talking lower colors ( pear, oval or marq) but step cuts dont have that same color concentrating power. Of course its personal preference, but i think its just about as safe to get a round J as it is to get a step cut J

Atx

Rough_Rock
Thank you to all that have replied! I am pretty comfortable w/ the "J" color thanks to input from the opinions I've read on PS. Now, more than anything, my thoughts have shifted to the amount of information I need prior to bringing a diamond in from a drop shipper.

How much info is enough?
In this case I am dealing with B2C Jewels. The salespeople that I have corresponded with are friendly, but not particularly informative. The response I received after the gemologist overseas looked at the piece was that it was 'good to go.' I asked what that meant and was told that the diamond appeared to be a 'good one'. After absorbing all the information there is to offer on this site, I feel left wanting...as though there is more I need to go off of than the two pictures (in the first post) and a hearsay description from an overseas gemologist that it is 'good to go.' I imagine I am being a little paranoid, but this is after all the largest purchase I'm likely to make sight unseen. As others have stated I've at least made sure there is a 30 day return policy.

Setting Questions!
That brings me to a follow-up question. The hopeful wearer of this ring passed along her preferences w/ regard to a setting prior to me pursuing the ultimate purchase on my own. I at least wanted get an idea so that I could narrow down my options! I am trying to find one that closely aligns with a custom piece on Whiteflash. Specifically, I hope to find something that looks similar to the following:
http://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/diamond-engagement-rings/custom-emerald-and-baguette-diamond-engagement-ring-37601.htm

In my research I have found that no local or online retailer has a tapered baguette channel setting in stock. So, it appears it will be a custom piece regardless. Here is where my red flags go up. Most all establishments have stated that there is a no return policy if they were to make something similar. I am hesitant to move forward with almost no protection. And the prices are all over the map. For an 18K, 0.8-1.1 tcw setting the prices have ranged from $3K to $7K. What could be the reason for this variance, and is it normal for customers to enter into this 'custom' purchase w/ a no return, warranty policy? Thanks again for any and all input!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Atx

Rough_Rock
Hi!
You snooze, you lose. A lesson I learned the hard way. The diamond I was hoping to purchase was no longer in inventory when I finally made the decision to pull the trigger.

Anyhow, that said, I am having a devil of a time finding diamonds of similar size and quality - 1.50-1.55 carat, VVS2-VS1 clarity, I-J color, 60-66% table, 60-65% depth, 1.3-1.5 l :w ratio. I don't know what it was about the original I found (Post 1), but those that I do seem to find with similar stats appear to be over 1K more in price and/or have inferior ASET or inclusions in inopportune areas.

I was curious if I could ask for help from the PS community experts with regard to one possible substitute. I think the ASET may have problems, but I understand I could be mistaken given my novice understanding of how to read them correctly (mostly just used the PS tools as a tutorial). It appears there may be too much green and white and not enough contrast compared to the original ASET I posted. Is that correct or am I being too critical?

Here is the diamonds other stats:
Carat Weight:1.51
Cut:Excellent
Color:J
Clarity:VS1
Lab Name:GIA
Depth:67.50
Table:62.00
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry:Excellent
Girdle:M
Culet:None
Fluorescence:None
Ratio:1.31
Measurements:7.35 x 5.62 x 3.79

Oh and I did make some progress. I think I've decided on this setting to pair with whatever center stone I purchase. So, I am moving forward...albeit slowly!
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Channel-Set-Baguette-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-18K-White-Gold-(1.00-cttw...)-5283-1.aspx

_16097.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a similar setting for my 1.63 MRB, my baguettes go east west.. I like it a lot and think the setting will go perfectly with your emerald cut diamond.. I had hoped you would post your ring! getting there.. a jeweler I like in Austin is Gallerie Jewelers near the Seton Hospital area.. near 35th Street.. they are nice people in there.. not especially inexpensive but quality... they made my latest engagement ring setting. I wish you good luck!!!

:wavey:

Atx|1395509807|3639419 said:
Hi!
You snooze, you lose. A lesson I learned the hard way. The diamond I was hoping to purchase was no longer in inventory when I finally made the decision to pull the trigger.

Anyhow, that said, I am having a devil of a time finding diamonds of similar size and quality - 1.50-1.55 carat, VVS2-VS1 clarity, I-J color, 60-66% table, 60-65% depth, 1.3-1.5 l :w ratio. I don't know what it was about the original I found (Post 1), but those that I do seem to find with similar stats appear to be over 1K more in price and/or have inferior ASET or inclusions in inopportune areas.

I was curious if I could ask for help from the PS community experts with regard to one possible substitute. I think the ASET may have problems, but I understand I could be mistaken given my novice understanding of how to read them correctly (mostly just used the PS tools as a tutorial). It appears there may be too much green and white and not enough contrast compared to the original ASET I posted. Is that correct or am I being too critical?

Here is the diamonds other stats:
Carat Weight:1.51
Cut:Excellent
Color:J
Clarity:VS1
Lab Name:GIA
Depth:67.50
Table:62.00
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry:Excellent
Girdle:M
Culet:None
Fluorescence:None
Ratio:1.31
Measurements:7.35 x 5.62 x 3.79

Oh and I did make some progress. I think I've decided on this setting to pair with whatever center stone I purchase. So, I am moving forward...albeit slowly!
http://www.b2cjewels.com/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Channel-Set-Baguette-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-18K-White-Gold-(1.00-cttw....)-5283-1.aspx

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The second one has a bad P3 angle. So it is dark under the table at the heart of the stone.

The first probably has too much leakage, now that I look at it again.

Atx

Rough_Rock
Hi Tekate,

I'm getting there. When I first started I had a nice cushion of time...it's dwindling quickly! :)

I did talk with the folks at Gallerie Jewerly. Very nice over the phone, but I've yet to be in their store. They have great reviews online.

Gypsy|1395532165|3639629 said:
The second one has a bad P3 angle. So it is dark under the table at the heart of the stone.

The first probably has too much leakage, now that I look at it again.

Thanks for the assessment Gypsy. Would/Should the P3 angle on the 2nd one be a dealbreaker or is it something that may just detract slightly from the 'sparkle'?

If there are any other Emerald cuts that you (or any other PS experts) may recommend, using the specs in Post 1, I'm all ears! I'm currently using the database on PS for the current availability. Are there other places I should be looking as well?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crystal72384|1395544463|3639689 said:
Have you looked on the Good Old Gold website? I'm by no means an expert but they have several EC's around 1.4-1.5 ct.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11448/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/...Ts (which is confirmed by the head on shots).

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
What is the budget for stone only?
Those GOG ones are 12k and 7500-

Atx

Rough_Rock
artdecolover71|1395573232|3639769 said:
What is the budget for stone only?
Those GOG ones are 12k and 7500-
Hoping to stay between $5-6K for the diamond.

Atx

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1395724736|3640852 said:
Can you bring the setting cost down?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.20-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-298475 is the only semi-decent stone I found on JA. WF may be able to hunt for you.

What does the setting look like?

Hi Gypsy,

That is a very nice looking diamond. Thank you for pointing that one out! I am still hoping for something a little larger, but if I don't have success, that one sure wouldn't be a bad option. :)

Insofar as the settings, I originally had my sights set on a custom tapered baguette setting through Whiteflash (pic 1). There were some limitations...mainly locating an emerald cut through WF. Though not an exact replica, I did locate a less expensive and more flexible alternative though B2C (pic 2). It is my 1st option currently. Thanks again for all your assistance.

wfcustom.jpg

b2cinhouse.jpg

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
On James Allen, there is a nice rectangular emerald cut J 1.53 carat for $6900 but that's out of your budget it seems. How much is that setting from bc2?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The EC Gypsy suggested faces up "correctly" at 7 x 5 mm. I know you have your heart set on something in the 1.4 to 1.6 carat range but with so many poorly cut ECs around, a stone with that carat weight could well end up being the same size as a 1.2 carat EC. Just some food for thought.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this for you, or is it a gift for someone else?

Atx

Rough_Rock
Gypsy said:
Is this for you, or is it a gift for someone else?
Hi Gypsy. Apologies for not being more clear. It's is meant as an enagagement ring for my girlfriend.

Chrono said:
The EC Gypsy suggested faces up "correctly" at 7 x 5 mm. I know you have your heart set on something in the 1.4 to 1.6 carat range but with so many poorly cut ECs around, a stone with that carat weight could well end up being the same size as a 1.2 carat EC. Just some food for thought.
Thanks for insight. Definitely good food for thought. Is there a reason that it is difficult to locate good EC cuts? I had thought the same thing, but since I'm far from an expert, I just thought that was par for the course in finding a good diamond.

artdecolover71 said:
On James Allen, there is a nice rectangular emerald cut J 1.53 carat for $6900 but that's out of your budget it seems. How much is that setting from bc2?
The setting is priced around $2.3K.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does she like that setting? Because it is very risky. If she didn't specifically chose that style, especially as it is a masculine and unique setting, I would not buy it as a gift for someone. At all.

Have you done sleuthing on what she wants? Does she have a pinterest board?

Atx

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1395781914|3641224 said:
Does she like that setting? Because it is very risky. If she didn't specifically chose that style, especially as it is a masculine and unique setting, I would not buy it as a gift for someone. At all.

Have you done sleuthing on what she wants? Does she have a pinterest board?
Hi Gypsy, We did go setting shopping together. She expressed interest in the WF setting and seemed to take a liking to the tapered baguette setting.

Now to find a diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results